Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed #179654 03/23/2017 6:34 PM
spinsail Offline OP
OP Offline
I have no experience hand loading cast bullets. I understand that cast bullets are less expensive, cause less wear on the bore and can be sized to achieve a perfect fit with your cylinder throats and bore. These are important benefits.

However, if I accept that and want to use jacketed bullets anyway am I sacrificing anything in terminal effects?

I am loading for a .44 magnum and want a load that will be effective for both hogs and deer. I probably could do fine with an XTP or other jacketed bullet but the locals tell me to be prepared for the possible truly large hog.

I hope to get to cast bullets at some point but for now I want to load jacketed bullets of somewhere between 240 and 280 grains. My research indicated I need look no farther than Partitions, until my research indicated they are no longer sold.

My additional research indicated the Swift A Frame may be the solution. Although it losses a small percentage of weight with penetration it still appears to end up putting a .44 caliber hole all the way through an animal. Speaking without experience, this sounds pretty much like what a hard cast bullet would do.

Would I get any additional benefit by using hard cast instead? (Other than cost, etc., as mentioned earlier)

Thank you for any assistance.

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: spinsail] #179656 03/23/2017 7:57 PM
jamautry Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I have used both cast and jacketed bullets on a variety of animals including hogs and deer, both will work fine. While I know a lot of people like to use heavy for weight cast bullets, I like them as well, just to keep things in perspective I have killed 5 water buffalo and 1 very large hog using a 44 mag with Hornady 300 gr XTP magnum bullets. My point being if you have the XTPs in 300 gr on hand there is really no need to get anything different unless of course you just want to, then, by all means, go for it. I do it all the time.

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: jamautry] #179666 03/24/2017 12:19 AM
abner Offline
I'm going to cook up some popcorn and enjoy this thread. Just about everyone on this forum has more experience than I do with handgun hunting, but I know enough to know you will get about a fifty-fifty response to the jacket vs hardcast debate. It's a topic that will never go away, always come back up, and in reality from what I have read through the years not really make to much difference in the long run. I have always favored the jacketed bullets for hunting but carry a 357 mag loaded with 180gr. Bear Load hardcast when scouting or alone in the wild...Go figure.

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: jamautry] #179667 03/24/2017 12:21 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
no cast will do the damage that a top flight expandable will do, not all cast hold their shape. if ya need penetration ya use monometal or punch bullets, if ya want damage use a barnes or an aframe, anything less you'd better be hunting deer or just f!ing around. end of the discussion.

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: tradmark] #179668 03/24/2017 12:24 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
theres a video where a 454 barnes xbp does the same wound channel and penetrates deeper than a 12 gauge slug. the hardcast load has about a 1.5" wound channel. oddly the larger hardcast don't make a bigger wound channel due to lower velocity. the barnes loaded by doubletap had a wound channel of around 5".

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: tradmark] #179672 03/24/2017 1:46 AM
AK hgunner1 Offline
addict
addict
A good bullet that holds together and does not break up and reaches the vitals will kill. A 44/45/50 caliber hole is still a 44/45/50 caliber hole. It need not expand like a rifle caliber.
A 30 caliber has a long way to expand to hit the 44 caliber mark.

Last edited by AK hgunner1; 03/24/2017 1:49 AM.

Charlie

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of GOD
Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: spinsail] #179676 03/24/2017 3:51 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Placement is still key, regardless.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: s4s4u] #179677 03/24/2017 4:15 AM
AK hgunner1 Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Placement is still key, regardless.

Agree

Charlie

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: abner] #179679 03/24/2017 4:33 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: abner
I'm going to cook up some popcorn and enjoy this thread.

Me too.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Chance Weldon] #179683 03/24/2017 8:06 AM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
As a dedicated cast bullet user for over 50 years I lean that way for hunting anything big or small & of course you can make them do anything a jacketed bullet will do but, having said that, there are lots of very good jacketed bullets out there that have killed everything on the planet. You just have to match the bullet to the game & then place the bullet correctly, then it's end of discussion. Good cast or good jacketed won't make up for bad hits. The premium jacketed slugs are a fraction of a quality hunt, hopefully you won't need that many so use what you trust. Most of us do like a heavy for caliber bullet but that's because we like exit's & you never can predict the angle you're going to get.

Dick

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: sixshot] #179684 03/24/2017 10:25 AM
dhom Offline
addict
addict
I believe this old argument was started at least 60 yrs ago. At that time bullets of either type were not as good as todays technology. An example would be, if you were using a 30-06 for whitetail with 150 gr and you wanted to shoot an elk, you would choose a 180 gr because they wouldn't expand as quickly. The same is not true today to a certain extent. Now I can use a 165 gr bullet such as a Hornady spire point for deer then switch to a 165 gr Accubond for elk. A short version of the cast bullets is, we had roundnose, then SWC, and finally LFN and WFN. The latter being the best for hunting. I agree with all the advise given above. Match the bullet to the game hunted. Eventually, I think we all learn premium bullets are the best insurance for the hunt!

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: dhom] #179688 03/24/2017 12:43 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I have always been a big proponent of GOOD hardcast bullets for all types of game and have used them successfully on all manner of game. I have found that those critical of their use typically have a very limited exposure/experience with GOOD flat-nosed hardcast bullets. Many often make the mistake of over-driving cast bullets thinking more velocity is the answer to quick kills and that with cast bullets is a recipe for disaster. I am oversimplifying, but we have discussed this ad nausea on this site (and others) and I find it somewhat tedious at this stage. I've dedicated chapters to this topic in two books.....

That said, revolvers will never achieve rifle-like velocities. So, working within the limited parameters (read: limits) of a revolver, hardcast bullets work well. If you don't push them too hard, they will penetrate deeply, and break bones along the way. Like Dick pointed out, heavy for caliber is a good idea for deep penetration, not limiting your shot angles. I will continue to use quality hardcast bullets of some game animals. That said....

We have come a long way on the jacketed expanding bullet front and I am going to lump monolithic expanding bullets into this category for the sake of discussion. I don't consider XTPs or even Mag XTPs to be premium bullets. I watched utter and complete failure back to back with Mag XTPs last October and it was enough to give me cause for pause. They are fine bullets for deer and some hogs, but when the target gets tough, I want something that will hold together no matter what. For that, you are hard pressed to do better than the Swift A-frame. They are tough and hold together well and don't over expand. Another bullet I have trouble finding fault with is the Barnes XPB. This is a bullet that is as tough as nails.

Last year, in Hondo, Texas, at Action Outdoor Adventures, where we gather to live test bullets/loads/calibers on large animals, I saw numerous bullet failures -- both of the cast and jacketed variety. Granted, this is an extreme test by anyone's measure, but that is precisely why we do it. Will hardcast bullets work on really big animals? Yes indeed. I killed a really big (2,000 lbs) water buffalo a couple of years ago with hardcast bullets and they worked admirably, but if you have a big trophy fee on the line, and/or (and more importantly) your own butt is on the line, I want a bullet that will punch deep and straight no matter what resistance it encounters. In this case I don't want an expanding bullet, or a hardcast bullet, I want something along the lines of a Punch bullet. It has all of the good characteristics of a quality hardcast flat-nosed bullet, without any of the negatives -- like a material that has a limited ability to maintain its nose shape. When you are on the ground, and close -- no, very close to this (see photo below), it's no time to skimp on quality or cost.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Whitworth] #179692 03/24/2017 3:02 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
...but we have discussed this ad nausea on this site (and others) and I find it somewhat tedious at this stage.

I think that's why these types of threads don't get the emotions going like they used to. We used to be able to sell tickets to these threads. Now everyone is to tired to get into it again! By now, with a dozen posts in on this thread, someone would have called Rod at least 4 names, James would have pounded his fist on the table, somebody else would have broke a beer bottle over Whitworths head, another guy would have been trying to throw Trademark out the window, and Gary would have said, "I'm watching" at least once by now. Me, Briarhopper (Dewayne), and Chance would be sitting back giving high fives and asking each other "OHHHHHH! Did you see that??!!"

I kinda miss those days! It was fun, in a way...

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Raptortrapper] #179693 03/24/2017 3:08 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Raptortrapper
...but we have discussed this ad nausea on this site (and others) and I find it somewhat tedious at this stage.

I think that's why these types of threads don't get the emotions going like they used to. We used to be able to sell tickets to these threads. Now everyone is to tired to get into it again! By now, with a dozen posts in on this thread, someone would have called Rod at least 4 names, James would have pounded his fist on the table, somebody else would have broke a beer bottle over Whitworths head, another guy would have been trying to throw Trademark out the window, and Gary would have said, "I'm watching" at least once by now. Me, Briarhopper (Dewayne), and Chance would be sitting back giving high fives and asking each other "OHHHHHH! Did you see that??!!"

All someone has to do is post something really inflammatory.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Whitworth] #179694 03/24/2017 3:12 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
All someone has to do is post something really inflammatory.

It ain't gonna be me!!!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Raptortrapper] #179699 03/24/2017 8:12 PM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
All true, every bullet has came a long way. Those Punch bullets Kellye started making several years ago were great. I think he's since sold the rights to someone else.
My only real experience with a good jacketed slug was with the Speer 270 Gold Dot & it isn't one of the really tough bullets when something a few paces away might want to stomp a hole in your breakfast but it did work great on the one elk I shot with it.
I am surprised about the 300 gr. XTP thought because of what I've read about from Lynn Thompson using them in Austrailia on a whole bunch of Buffalo with great results using high shoulder shots & getting exits on many of them.
I'm only going on what you guys tell me about the Swift A Frames & the Barnes bullets.
Still, I'll stick with cast, & not wanting to argue but agree, some can make too hard of a cast slug. By that I mean brittle. Get carried away with the antimony & you get brittle. I want a tough cast slug, not a brittle cast slug so until I have one fail me, in my house they are still better.
I do enjoy all of you younger guys experiences, that's what makes our game good & makes it better.

Dick

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: sixshot] #179705 03/24/2017 11:19 PM
FA834ME Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Spinsail has reached a very logical conclusion as a result of his search for an answer to the 60 yr old question. I would add that Good bullets be they jacketed or cast ain't cheap. I have limited experience with hard cast hunting bullets but have found the good stuff as expensive or more so with a decent jacketed bullet. I remember the rather heated discussions on jacketed vs cast as well. I don't think there is a black and white answer. No bullet performs the same all the time on all game. As Whitworth pointed out it is more of a decision of which bullet for what you are after. Just like which caliber is better than the other.

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: FA834ME] #179707 03/25/2017 12:48 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Oh yeah, but it sure is fun. Those old spitting contests did have their place. It caused me to search and search and experiment to find some answers that have really brought great results. I just hope no one hates anyone based on internet sparring. I love good debates and scientifically examining findings and coming up with solutions. Arguments are a-ok with me. Some of my favorite hunting buds are guys some following these threads over the years woulda figured id be trading fists with.

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Raptortrapper] #179708 03/25/2017 2:15 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist

You mean people called me names? My blood pressure was so high my veins in my forehead were blocking my vision. Those were the good old days. There were times had some of us met in person it would have made cage fighting look like kindergarten recess.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: tradmark] #179709 03/25/2017 2:18 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
Oh yeah, but it sure is fun. Those old spitting contests did have their place. It caused me to search and search and experiment to find some answers that have really brought great results. I just hope no one hates anyone based on internet sparring. I love good debates and scientifically examining findings and coming up with solutions. Arguments are a-ok with me. Some of my favorite hunting buds are guys some following these threads over the years woulda figured id be trading fists with.

In NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM do I hate anyone on this forum because of things that have been said. I admit, I flew off the handle a few times myself. To me, we are like family here. Every family has their arguments. But in the end, when it's time for the crap to hit the fan, I believe every single one of us would stand side by side with one another.

It's kinda fun to go back and read some of those knock down drag out threads now!

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: wapitirod] #179711 03/25/2017 2:26 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod

You mean people called me names? My blood pressure was so high my veins in my forehead were blocking my vision. Those were the good old days. There were times had some of us met in person it would have made cage fighting look like kindergarten recess.

Yeah, boy those were some good "discussions" back then. I'll never forget some of those conversations! I was actually referring to s4s4U when I mentioned "Rod", but yeah, that little description would have applied to you as well!

I've wondered where you've been, and hoped all was okay. Sure glad to hear from ya again!

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Raptortrapper] #179712 03/25/2017 2:43 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Regardless whether your hunting handgun is loaded with cast or jacketed, as long as you put that bullet in the vital of the animal in your sights you will collect your critter......One may work faster then the other or visa/versa depending on circumstances but both will kill, as they have done hundreds of times over, if placed correctly....
\:\)

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: jamesfromjersey] #179713 03/25/2017 2:54 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
You can keep that expanding crap for small game.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Whitworth] #179715 03/25/2017 3:22 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

Cast bullets are for people too impatient to wait for a broadside shot.

Or for people too poor to afford A-Frames or XPBs.

Or for people using those wimpy 44 Specials and 45 Colts.
;\)

Pleasedon'tkillmeitwasjustajoke

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Chance Weldon] #179716 03/25/2017 3:41 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
45 Colts

HEY NOW!!!
;\)
\:D

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Chance Weldon] #179718 03/25/2017 4:19 AM
AK hgunner1 Offline
addict
addict

Was that the bell for the next round TN Lone wolf ? hahahaha

Charlie

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Chance Weldon] #179719 03/25/2017 5:32 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf

;\)

Pleasedon'tkillmeitwasjustajoke

BOY...!!!!

You wanna get out of the bleachers and into the ring, keep it up!

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Raptortrapper] #179720 03/25/2017 6:37 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I am staying out of this one. The two times I got into it I got a talking to by Gary. I shoot both but primarily XTP Mags, and I came across about 20 boxes of 300gr .452 Partitions. I've played with the Barnes some but they are expensive although since the Nosler Pro shop turned into yuppie central I've gone exclusively to Barnes in my long range rifles, especially my M40 in 300 RUM where I use the LRX bulletsMy 357 Herret I am running what I have left in 200gr SST's. My encore 300 Win Mag I switched to Triple Shocks from accubonds and my 375x444 I am running Hornady 270gr Spire points to break it in with and depending I may go with triple shocks there. My last 3, 375 JDJ's I ran 260gr accubonds. Oregon has gone to hell and Leupold and Nosler with it. They cater to yuppies. Oregon Trail and Cast Performance are still holding together though. I run CP's in my 500 Linebaugh and with the discontinuation of the 400gr XTP I will go back to them for my 475 Linebaugh also. I use 430gr Oregon Trails in my Marlin 45-70. Aside from all the useless info I provided the one thing I have found is whatever you use you have to have full confidence in it.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: wapitirod] #179728 03/25/2017 3:18 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I am "all in" with Cast Performance and the 335gr WFNGC for 45 Colt and 460 S&W.

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Raptortrapper] #179729 03/25/2017 6:09 PM
FA834ME Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
What now? An avowed rifle shooter on a handgun site?
Heresy I tell ya!

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: FA834ME] #179730 03/25/2017 6:34 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
This is just hilarious. Ahhhhh.... the good ol days....!

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Raptortrapper] #179731 03/25/2017 8:59 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I'll say this...shoot whatever you want and like...I know what's better and use them every time that I hunt. Come hunting with me 😉 I'll show you how it's done with one shot, not 7, 8, 9 or 10 😂😂😂I like jacketed and monometal is FAR superior to cast

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Franchise] #179732 03/25/2017 9:33 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I just got back from a handgun hunt with some of the absolute best shots out there. These gentlemen...and my wife 😉 can shoot the lights out...that's 98 percent of it

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Franchise] #179734 03/25/2017 10:39 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Franchise
I'll say this...shoot whatever you want and like...I know what's better and use them every time that I hunt. Come hunting with me 😉 I'll show you how it's done with one shot, not 7, 8, 9 or 10 😂😂😂I like jacketed and monometal is FAR superior to cast

You're making the mistake of comparing bottle necked rifle cartridges with much greater velocities to revolver cartridges. The dynamic is completely different.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Whitworth] #179737 03/25/2017 11:17 PM
FA834ME Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I want to go hunting with Francise. Cast or Jacketed. Whatever it takes!

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: FA834ME] #179738 03/25/2017 11:22 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: FA834ME
I want to go hunting with Francise. Cast or Jacketed. Whatever it takes!

Come to the JRH Holiday, it's scary at times!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Whitworth] #179739 03/25/2017 11:23 PM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
Correct, there's no way you can compare the two. A rifle cartridge will always be a rifle cartridge, whether you cut the stock off or not, can't compare it to a revolver cartridge.

Dick

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: sixshot] #179740 03/25/2017 11:41 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I'm really not guys 😉😊 just having a good time joking with my buddies! 😆 life's too short to take this stuff too seriously. Shoot what works for you 👍 I'm just glad y'all shoot handguns

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: Franchise] #179742 03/26/2017 3:57 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
My favorites are the cheap winchester usa hollowpoints. Those or the soft 45 colt cowboy loads. I like to unload em and load em hot into my 460. That way they melt on the way to the animal and its just like paintball.

Re: Terminal Ballistics of Cast v. Jacketed [Re: tradmark] #179743 03/26/2017 12:22 PM
FA834ME Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Tell me about the JRH Holiday. When? Where? What?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod