Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Flying with a gun as checked baggage #179895 03/30/2017 9:54 PM
TXBRASS Offline OP
OP Offline
Going back to Oregon in August for a second round of bear hunting. Last time I shipped my Specialty Pistol and hated that, not to mention it cost me over $150 each way. Was considering checking it as baggage at the airport and just wanted feedback from others who have done this. Pro's/Con's, recommendations, tips, or warnings would be appreciated.
I read the rules on how to do it, any would like your personal experiences of how it went...
Thanks!!!

Get your W-GEAR Guardian Scabbard. The only carry option built solely for use with specialty pistols!
100% MADE IN THE USA.
LIFETIME WARRANTY

http://www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -
Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: TXBRASS] #179896 03/30/2017 10:04 PM
mart Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I've flown several times, even to Syracuse, NY from Alaska with firearms. It has never been a problem.

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: mart] #179897 03/30/2017 10:22 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I haven't had any problems, but make sure you have a very good case that's heavily padded or you may regret it.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: KRal] #179898 03/30/2017 11:01 PM
FA834ME Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Make sure you have a lock for your case or integral locking system on the case and you should be good to go. A call to the airlines ahead of time to check procedure may save some headaches.

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: FA834ME] #179899 03/30/2017 11:27 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Usually not a problem. Last year on United agents were going to refuse my handgun (in a locked case) , then not allow me to have the ammo in it. I pulled out a copy of United's rules (THAT I ALWAYS PRINT OUT FOR EACH AIRLINES) and everybody got real friendly. OK to carry ammo in same case as gun in US flights, but not overseas.

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: wvhitman] #179900 03/30/2017 11:43 PM
AK hgunner1 Offline
addict
addict
Fly AK Airlines in and out of state. Locked case with two locks. Never had a problem( probably because I am law enforcement.LOL).
They ask me if I am carrying on my person or not. Nope...... Fill out the little slip and put one in the check in baggage where the gun is and keep one. No worries..
Ammo in the original packaging can also go in the luggage with the handgun.

Long guns just lock them up in the gun case and check in as checked baggage. That is after you go through TSA's stupid check...
Make sure all the guns are unloaded of course.

Unless I am flying out of Newark NJ..... Then they want to try to give me the run around even with law enforcement credentials.

Last edited by AK hgunner1; 03/30/2017 11:47 PM.

Charlie

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of GOD
Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: AK hgunner1] #179901 03/30/2017 11:57 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Any time I travel by plane, I ship my guns to myself at the residence I'll be staying at. Insured, and FEDEX or UPS only. Never had an issue, and isn't all that expensive. Never done it as checked baggage, but I don't trust airlines. Flew with my falconry birds a couple times, and it was a horrible experience. Can't trust them with a bird of prey, so why would I trust them with my guns. No way in Hades I'll ever ship a gun on an airline.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Raptortrapper] #179903 03/31/2017 3:01 AM
briarhopper Offline
addict
addict
I've flown with guns many, many times. Have them unloaded in a locked, airline-approved case. If it is a small pistol case, have that case in the top of your actual luggage, ie. duffle bag etc.

Check your bags at the counter, and tell the nice agent that there is a firearm in the bag. They will check you on in, then send you with that one duffel and pistol case to TSA. TSA will take it, check it, and handle it from there. When TSA is done with you, go on about your business, you're done. You'll collect it in the duffel on the other end of your flight from the baggage carousel like any other bag. Easy Cheasy

If it were supposed to be easy, they'd have sent my little sister to do it.
Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: briarhopper] #179904 03/31/2017 3:33 AM
AK hgunner1 Offline
addict
addict
Unless of course they,TSA, forget to re secure your baggage and your Glock ends up coming out first and then your bag onto the carousel. Fellow officer had that happen one time....

Charlie

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: AK hgunner1] #179905 03/31/2017 10:00 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I fly with my weapons...Pelican and good locks

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Ernie] #179907 03/31/2017 1:16 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've been using Negrini cases exclusively over the last few years and they are light, thin, and really strong.

TSA will typically lock it in front of you for the last time before it is cleared.

This is the rig I used when I went to Argentina a few years ago.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Whitworth] #179916 03/31/2017 6:04 PM
thadf Offline
This is good to know info. Thanks for posting this stuff.

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Ernie] #179919 03/31/2017 7:53 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
never had a problem flying out of Newark, NJ in all my years of hunting with a handgun......

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: jamesfromjersey] #179923 03/31/2017 9:23 PM
AK hgunner1 Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
never had a problem flying out of Newark, NJ in all my years of hunting with a handgun......

Hi James...
Must have been the Alaska drivers license and my badge....

Charlie

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: AK hgunner1] #179926 03/31/2017 10:02 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Charlie, you are one in a million......
;\)

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: jamesfromjersey] #180147 04/11/2017 10:07 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
Where are you guys flying out of where the TSA has your firearm and unlocked bag/case?

Per the TSA web page the firearm owner/passenger should be the only person to ever have control of the keys and access to the interior of the bag.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Years ago, they used to take the keys from you and "inspect" the firearm case, however that should not be the case now. The owner/passenger should unlock and add the "Unloaded" tag to the bag, lock the bag, and the ticket agent should take the bag down to the TSA for them to X-Ray. Neither TSA or the airline is legally allowed to open the case or have possession of your keys.

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: 98Redline] #180270 04/17/2017 2:02 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I haven't had any troubles flying with guns since 911. Main difference was that everyone got training at the ticket counter. I usually fly 3-4 times per year with a gun or guns and I always put the ammo in the same case as the gun. The only place that is a pain in the arse is Denver airport and that's only because TSA is full of it... If you ever have trouble with a ticket agent just ask to speak with a supervisor.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Gary] #180271 04/17/2017 5:46 PM
Spencer Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I've flown out of Syracuse to Arizona, Nevada and Wyoming with mine. No issue at all. TSA had ME unlock the case to show it was unloaded with the slip in in then I locked it back up. They put it in my bag and locked up my bag. The handgun case must travel in a locked suitcase. I do not think a duffel bag is allowed.

NRA life member
Let's go make some memories
Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Spencer] #180365 04/20/2017 10:03 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: Spencer
I've flown out of Syracuse to Arizona, Nevada and Wyoming with mine. No issue at all. TSA had ME unlock the case to show it was unloaded with the slip in in then I locked it back up. They put it in my bag and locked up my bag. The handgun case must travel in a locked suitcase. I do not think a duffel bag is allowed.
I never lock the suit case only the case the guns are in and they have never said a word about it.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Gary] #180372 04/21/2017 1:59 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Gary
 Originally Posted By: Spencer
I never lock the suit case only the case the guns are in and they have never said a word about it.

I've always put my case in a suitcase or duffle bag just so it's not obvious what it is, but I'm purdy sure it's not a requirement. It'd be hard to get a rifle case inside a suitcase or duffle bag.
;\)

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: KRal] #180527 04/27/2017 6:00 PM
Duke3026 Offline
addict
addict
Aside from TSA list of rules. Follow your airline rules, as long as. The airlines don't break local laws.NYC requires ammo be locked in a separate container from the firearm. Otherwise, they consider your firearm(s) loaded. Handguns for the last flight I took. Had to be in a locked hard case, inside luggage. With a separate non TSA lock. I've flown in, and out, of both major airports in NYC. JFK has been ok, and LaGuardia a real pain. NYC has there own set of rules, and plenty of incompetent law enforcement to prove all agencies $uck. If you find yourself at a NYC airport due to a layover, or a missed connection. In fact! NY or NJ airport, don't take possession of your luggage with firearms. Unless your law enforcement. You won't like the outcome. BTW! Officer Jackie Chan tried real hard to make my day bad. No O.T. for him that day,or extra day off.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod