Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target #179957 04/01/2017 11:56 PM
spinsail Offline OP
OP Offline
I am reading the Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers and the author Max has great things to say about this particular revolver in 44 magnum. At the time he wrote it he had not had the revolver long enough to form an opinion as to its durability with heavy loads.

Anyone here own one long enough to have any opinions on that? It sure is a very reasonably priced 44 magnum.

Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: spinsail] #179968 04/03/2017 12:23 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Hi spinsail! Great little revolver. I never shot anything through it but full-bore .44 Mag loads, most of them Double Tap's 320 grain loads. I wasn't kind to it, but it didn't protest. That being said, for similar money one can acquire a Super Blackhawk on the used market and never wonder how it will stand up to real magnum loads. Nothing against the little Uberti, but I like the piece of mind the Ruger offers.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: Whitworth] #179982 04/03/2017 1:00 PM
spinsail Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Max! Thank you, that is exactly what I was wondering about.

Your book is outstanding, as entertaining as it is informative. I hope you are working on another one.

Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: spinsail] #179983 04/03/2017 1:09 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: spinsail
Hi Max! Thank you, that is exactly what I was wondering about.

Your book is outstanding, as entertaining as it is informative. I hope you are working on another one.

Thanks for the kind words! I wrote three books in the course of about five years and I am forcing a break. Books are really labor intensive and I have other fish I would like to fry, so I won't be back on the book writing bandwagon for a while. But I have some bigger plans in the works....

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: Whitworth] #179985 04/03/2017 1:46 PM
Hoggin Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
i ran one of those quite a bit until a customer had to have it.

Im going to stick my neck out here.....

Fit and finish blows ruger away
Accuracy was equal to if not better than a factory ruger
I would run any load that would be run in any other factory 44mag
These uberti guns have come a long ways in 10 years or so.

The thing that was probably the most useful difference in my eyes is the sights on the uberti. I thought these were better and did not require upgrading.

Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: Hoggin] #179986 04/03/2017 1:55 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Hoggin

The thing that was probably the most useful difference in my eyes is the sights on the uberti. I thought these were better and did not require upgrading.

It's a physically smaller framed gun than the Blackhawk. Fit and finish was okay on mine -- better than many of my Rugers, but not all. What I would expect at that low price point. Ruger is hit and miss in many cases. What loads did you run through your customer's gun? Just curious as they vary wildly in power, and frankly most .44 Mag ammo isn't nearly as hot as it used to be. I fed mine a steady diet of 320s at 1,300 + fps and I would bet that it wouldn't eat a whole lot of those without loosening up.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: Whitworth] #179988 04/03/2017 2:53 PM
Craig44 Offline
addict
addict
I've looked at these pretty hard and have been threatening to snag one. Nice sixguns, typical Uberti fit & finish, which is pretty good. I don't know that any Uberti "blows away" Ruger in that regard but they do have a higher level of polish. I wouldn't hesitate to feed one a steady diet of standard pressure loads but I wouldn't push my luck with one. The Uberti is slightly smaller than a Ruger and Ruger's strength is a known quantity. The Uberti's is not. There are loads, factory (Buffalo Bore 340gr) and handloaded (Brian Pearce's 50,000psi loads), that I would ONLY run through a Redhawk/Super Redhawk, Freedom Arms, Dan Wesson or the custom Bisley JRH is working on with an oversized six-shot cylinder.

And for the record, I'm not dogging Uberti. I have 14 of them, along with 9 Pietta's.

Further proof that not all gunsmiths are created equal.

Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: Whitworth] #180021 04/04/2017 12:30 PM
Hoggin Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

It's a physically smaller framed gun than the Blackhawk. Fit and finish was okay on mine -- better than many of my Rugers, but not all. What I would expect at that low price point. Ruger is hit and miss in many cases. What loads did you run through your customer's gun? Just curious as they vary wildly in power, and frankly most .44 Mag ammo isn't nearly as hot as it used to be. I fed mine a steady diet of 320s at 1,300 + fps and I would bet that it wouldn't eat a whole lot of those without loosening up.

I doubt I ran any factory loads through it.
I know I ran 300 grain heavy loaded lead loads and other book jacketed loads.

I don't run a lot of factory stuff and I don't normally run any of the "super" loads through anything. I normally hang around standard book stuff.

Last edited by Hoggin; 04/04/2017 12:57 PM.
Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: Craig44] #180022 04/04/2017 12:35 PM
Hoggin Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: Craig44

Just have to love the constant ignorance out of you.

This is pretty fitting for you

Last edited by Hoggin; 04/04/2017 1:09 PM.
Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: Hoggin] #180032 04/04/2017 3:29 PM
Craig44 Offline
addict
addict

Ignorance??? You're the guy claiming that putting a "free floating" barrel on a GP, along with vaguery about "doing the needful" was a more accurate solution than lineboring. You're wet behind the ears, trying to be relevant with limited machining skills and thumbing your nose at those who have already been there and done that. When your testing is questioned or your concepts challenged, you get defensive and personal, like you just did. You've never brought anything of substance to the table.

As far as keyboard warrior nonsense, when I started hunting with handguns, you were still crapping yellow.

This is pretty fitting for you:

Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: Craig44] #180033 04/04/2017 3:46 PM
Hoggin Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast

Ignorance??? You're the guy claiming that putting a "free floating" barrel on a GP, along with vaguery about "doing the needful" was a more accurate solution than lineboring. You're wet behind the ears, trying to be relevant with limited machining skills and thumbing your nose at those who have already been there and done that. When your testing is questioned or your concepts challenged, you get defensive and personal, like you just did. You've never brought anything of substance to the table.

As far as keyboard warrior nonsense, when I started hunting with handguns, you were still crapping yellow.

This is pretty fitting for you:

Wow....such anger....
Anger and bitterness of this level comes from someone not happy with themselves.

Offer still stands....now I'm in a great hunting state so you can come on out and book a hunt and when your done you can come by and see what I actually do.

You can even see some stuff from my limited experience in the past of machining nuclear reactor plant components.

But you won't come....you'll just overflow out of your mouth on any post I make. And that's fine. I find it kind of funny. I also enjoy seeing people take advantage of their first amendment rights since I fought for them.

Tag deadline for Wyoming for the out of state hunters is In May. So you still have time to book.

Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: Hoggin] #180035 04/04/2017 4:22 PM
Craig44 Offline
addict
addict
Wow....such anger....
Anger and bitterness of this level comes from someone not happy with themselves.

Offer still stands....now I'm in a great hunting state so you can come on out and book a hunt and when your done you can come by and see what I actually do.

You can even see some stuff from my limited experience in the past of machining nuclear reactor plant components.

But you won't come....you'll just overflow out of your mouth on any post I make. And that's fine. I find it kind of funny. I also enjoy seeing people take advantage of their first amendment rights since I fought for them.

Tag deadline for Wyoming for the out of state hunters is In May. So you still have time to book.

You give yourself too much credit. It will take more than you to get me riled up.

I have no interest in hunting Wyoming or wasting five minutes with you. I've been in the company of real sixguns artisans and I've been in the company of men who served but don't brag about it or bring it up in completely unrelated discussions(that was extremely distasteful (and obvious!) but not unexpected). You are neither.

To be clear, Uberti makes an excellent sixgun but the Callahan has a frame and cylinder that is slightly larger than their standard SAA replica but smaller than a Super Blackhawk. Their ultimate strength is an unknown but they do still have Colt-style lockwork. As such, I would not push my luck with one but they should do fine with standard loads. For how long, I'm about to find out as I just ordered one off Gunbroker. Maybe I'll take this year's water buffalo with it but the cylinder may be too short for heavyweights. Keyboard warrior indeed.

Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: Craig44] #180036 04/04/2017 4:40 PM
Hoggin Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wow....such anger....

You give yourself too much credit. It will take more than you to get me riled up.

I have no interest in hunting Wyoming or wasting five minutes with you. I've been in the company of real sixguns artisans and I've been in the company of men who served but don't brag about it or bring it up in completely unrelated discussions(that was extremely distasteful (and obvious!) but not unexpected). You are neither.

To be clear, Uberti makes an excellent sixgun but the Callahan has a frame and cylinder that is slightly larger than their standard SAA replica but smaller than a Super Blackhawk. Their ultimate strength is an unknown but they do still have Colt-style lockwork. As such, I would not push my luck with one but they should do fine with standard loads. For how long, I'm about to find out as I just ordered one off Gunbroker. Maybe I'll take this year's water buffalo with it but the cylinder may be too short for heavyweights. Keyboard warrior indeed.

The constant insults speak volumes about your character.

You can shoot buffalo in a pen here too. You may like that

Re: Uberti 1873 Callahan New Model Target [Re: Hoggin] #180037 04/04/2017 5:56 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
[You can shoot buffalo in a pen here too. You may like that

I've got no dog in this fight, but have to take exception to this comment. Where Craig will be "shooting buffalo in a pen" is in Hondo, Texas, where you get on the ground at bad breathe distance with water buffalo that are the farthest thing from tame and the "pen" is actually a really large plot of land. I know many of you who haven't done it like to characterize this as shooting cows in pastures, but having hunted water buffalo in the wild and in Texas, I can tell you that the danger factor was up considerably higher in Texas. I too had this notion, until I had experienced it. And this is where long range capability is traded for raw horsepower.

This guy would surely take offense to being treated as tame.....

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 89 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod