Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? #181139 05/29/2017 9:39 PM
bigbore442001 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I would like some opinions on what handgun-optic set up would be best for the following situation.

I have some friends who go "Up North" in November to hunt whitetailed deer. That means? they head to Maine or northern New Hampshire. The woods tend to be thick and somewhat mixed although when you get to Maine they tend to be mostly conifers.

There is a type of hunting that some do in Northern New England and promoted by the late Larry Benoit, a famous New England hunter, where you follow a track in the snow and you pursue and stalk your deer. He and his family are rather well known? for taking huge deer in some of the most remote regions of Maine and Ontario( although that area would be off limits for us handgunners) . I kneow some who will follow a track and then using some small binoculars spot ahead through the woods and then proceed a few feet. Kind of really slow stalking or what you can properly call " still hunting" a very slow, methodical walk with the intent of looking for deer. You hope to see them before they see you.

The most commonly used firearm is a peep sighted pump action rifle. Some have the same set up but with a red dot sight.

I am thinking, 'what type of hunting pistol would be best for this style of hunting?"

Off the top of my head, I am thinking a Smith? and Wesson M 29 with a Burris Fast Fire 3. Nice, lightweight and would be good for what can be a quick shot.

I would really like to hear from the group. Thanks

Re: Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? [Re: bigbore442001] #181140 05/29/2017 10:11 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
What distance do you anticipate getting a shot and do you plan on shooting at a deer that's running?

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? [Re: Gary] #181143 05/30/2017 1:12 AM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
I think a .41 or .44 Mag with a dot sight (I like Ultrdots) would be a winner. Lots of off hand practice would be necessary. I like to carry a single shot, too, on a sling for that longer shot in openings using a tree for a rest. I've done that many times in WV and it has paid off.
When I practice at the range there is a 6" rock at 105 yards. After I'm sure the revolver is sighted in I shoot a few with it offhand. With all that practice I'm about 95% hits and misses are very close.

Re: Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? [Re: Gary] #181149 05/30/2017 10:28 AM
bigbore442001 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Judging from experience, most New England shots are 50 yards or so. As far as running shots I am not sure if I'd take one with an optic mounted revolver.

Re: Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? [Re: bigbore442001] #181153 05/30/2017 12:47 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I am going to 2.5x8 scopes. Already switched 3 guns over. 2.5 for walking then 8x when needed. I had to thread the needle on a buck at nearly 90 yards. I cranked it to 8 and pow.

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? [Re: reflex264] #181154 05/30/2017 3:56 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: reflex264
I am going to 2.5x8 scopes. Already switched 3 guns over. 2.5 for walking then 8x when needed. I had to thread the needle on a buck at nearly 90 yards. I cranked it to 8 and pow.

You and I agree on this...

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? [Re: Gary] #181157 05/30/2017 7:41 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
BB44, I`ve only hunted Maine once but understand about an up close shot cause of the tree cover.... I`ve also hunted in some thick eastern woods and would do the two gun approach....Scoped for anything over 50 and shorter barrel big bore for up close... That`s a set up that has worked for me... You could also just have the one scoped handgun with a fixed 4x or variable... That type of handgun shooting is harder then people may think....Anyway it sounds like you will have a great time. Good luck...
PS Read about Larry Benoit many years ago....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? [Re: jamesfromjersey] #181162 05/31/2017 10:28 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
this is the type of hunting that i most enjoy. true we haven't had snow for a few years till after hunting season. still hunting you take a few steps stop, look ,and listen ( like they used to teach us about RR tracks) only when hunting you stay much longer. As i have said before my greatest joy is hunting along the edges of cedar swamps. this is why i started handgun hunting. brush/ trees too thick for a rifle or shotgun to be used and you need one hand to hold your self upright. i use aperture rear sight (one ragged hole for me)and a fiber op front sight. these work well and don't throw the balance of the gun off.

Gery i'm betting not more than 50 yards. for me ill shoot running deer but the distance can measured in feet as easily as yards.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? [Re: bluecow] #181184 05/31/2017 11:58 PM
bigbore442001 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: bluecow
this is the type of hunting that i most enjoy. true we haven't had snow for a few years till after hunting season. still hunting you take a few steps stop, look ,and listen ( like they used to teach us about RR tracks) only when hunting you stay much longer. As i have said before my greatest joy is hunting along the edges of cedar swamps. this is why i started handgun hunting. brush/ trees too thick for a rifle or shotgun to be used and you need one hand to hold your self upright. i use aperture rear sight (one ragged hole for me)and a fiber op front sight. these work well and don't throw the balance of the gun off.

Gery i'm betting not more than 50 yards. for me ill shoot running deer but the distance can measured in feet as easily as yards.

I know what you mean about the late snow. It seems that we're getting snows in late January where we are at. As a kid I recall many a White Christmas. It seems that things have switched in the last decade or so, weather wise. It seems more windier and the seasons are three to four weeks off kilter.

I like what you said about the One Ragged Hole sight. I have always questioned how well it works.

Re: Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? [Re: bigbore442001] #181208 06/01/2017 8:10 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well for me I prefer good iron sights for fast shooting.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? [Re: cottonstalk] #181233 06/03/2017 3:35 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
A double action revolver with a dot sight is probably as good a handgun as any for that scenario.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? [Re: Chance Weldon] #181243 06/03/2017 4:03 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
My personal favorite for thick woods still hunting is my FA M97 in 45 Colt. It has a 5.5" barrel and topped with a JPoint reflex sight. You hardly know it's on your belt and packs plenty punch with a 250xtp over 20.5 grains of 2400.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Still hunting/stalking hunting handgun set up? [Re: cottonstalk] #181627 06/25/2017 1:25 AM
82nd Paratrooper Offline
stranger
stranger
(I'm a 110% meat hunter) I hunt the creek bottoms in the Sandhills area of NC where the woods are thick and visibility because of foliage is generally 45 yards or less on one of the lease properties I hunt in early gun season. My go-to revolver for early season is my open sighted Dan Wesson 44 mag and I'm hunting from a tree stand. When I'm hunting from my ground blind on the edge of a corn field and hardwoods on the opposite side of the lease property I take my scoped 44 mag or 454 Casull because the shots average anywhere from roughly 50-90 yards (range finder verified). I don't claim to be an expert nor have I ever killed any record bucks....but my deep freezer held 2 feral hogs and 5 deer this past season.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 56 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod