Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Struggling with shooting in the "Keith" position #181440 06/16/2017 4:30 AM
m1garandman Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have been trying every shooting position I can think of trying to improve my non bipod supported shooting.

One position I cant seem to figure out is the Keith position. I have problems keeping my leg steady and have a hard time hitting anything past 50 yards. Compared to shooting two handed or even weak hand standing I'm much worse.

What am I missing?

Re: Struggling with shooting in the "Keith" position [Re: m1garandman] #181471 06/18/2017 1:10 AM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Nothing. The key to shooting a handgun over anything other than a table rest or backpack is supporting your elbow/forearm and your leg if you use it. Hard to do both laying on the ground. Leg and arm are unstable, flopping around just a little, but enough to throw short barrel shots off.
. I tried the traditional wood tripods on my first Africa trip. My elbow/forearm waved like a flag. Missed a couple animals.
A trip to SSK early in my career found me shooting JD's XP in .458X2 a la Keith. Did not work. I figured supporting my elbow on the ground would work. Thought I broke it on the first shot.
The three positions that work for me:
1) regular offhand, with lots of practice. Push with the right hand. Pull with the left. I routinely hit a 110 yd. rock at my range with all my revolvers and single shots including .416 Taylor and .500 S&W.
2) Primos tripod shooting sticks WITH the short arm rest(this attaches to the trpod). Rest the forearm of the gun on the rest and YOUR forearm (the middle) on the short arm rest. Good for 2-250 yd. shots.
3) BogPod with PSR rest (not made any more, but look around for the rest). This is an unbelievably stable rest. I used it on a CO mulie at 188, a AZ Coues at 266, and a WV deer at 581(not a misprint).
This is probably more info than you wanted or asked for. 39 years of handgun only hunting has taught me this. None of us are in the league of Elmer. He did what most earthly beings could not accomplish.
Hope this helps a little.

Re: Struggling with shooting in the "Keith" position [Re: wvhitman] #181472 06/18/2017 1:32 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Everything the hitman just said.
"Never be content with an unstable platform"...quote from a good friend which I totally agree with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py0ooi5AUpk
6-shots at 100 yards double action-under a 8" group in about 16 seconds.
Just goofing around.

Handgun(s) you are using?

Ernie the Un-Tactical

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod