Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT #181823 07/04/2017 9:55 PM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert

I had just flipped the light switch on in the barn and...oh my there it was again...I cocked my head and rearranged my cowboy hat to hear better.

Sure enough...one more time...the faint yipping of a young coyote in the distance, presumably looking to cause trouble. I inadvertently shivered; even though we are in to the month of July, here at 8300 feet in the Rockies it was still getting down to the mid-thirties at night.

I had gotten up way too early because of my inability to sleep due to the many little aches and pains my body suffers from too much hard work in the construction field and too many joint surgeries.

My heart beat skyrocketed as my adrenalin kicked in and my discomforts for the most part disappeared.

I was agoin' coyote huntin'!

My loyal cohort and constant companion Kloe, a 3 1/2 year old Labrador Retriever/Golden Retriever/English Springer Spaniel mix, immediately sensed my excitement as she, too, had heard the yapping coyote. I had done my best ever since we got her at six weeks old to teach her that "coyotes are bad," as I do NOT want her to chase them. I had personally witnessed a female coyote coming to my neighbor's property line and acting overly friendly, enticing his dog to follow her. Twice the dog followed the 'yote about 200 yards into the draw, and twice he wisely retreated back to his property without going any further. There was no third time as I put that varmint to rest with my 22-250.

Back to the present. I hurriedly got to my truck and put my hands on my Savage A-17 rifle, the newer semi-auto designed to fire a hopped-up version of the .17 HMR. That and a hand call and my binoculars, and I was headed to the fence line separating my property from the ranch where I had permission to hunt coyotes. My faithful pup Kloe was at my heels, and though I really did NOT want her to accompany me, I knew there was no way that I could put her in the house and leave her...she absolutely knew what was up and would probably jump through a window, glass or no glass, to follow me.

Needless to say, she was bred from three hunting breeds and is a hunter. She would rather hunt than eat or sleep...she is truly amazing.

The eastern sky was getting paler as the sun strived to rise above the mountain ridges. We had gone about 500 yards in the direction I had heard the song dog when in my eagerness and haste I topped over a crest overlooking a little valley with a tiny creek flowing through it. Like a novice I had exposed myself to the peering eyes below instead of approaching stealthily on my hands and knees and two of those sharp eyes were staring me down like a...well...like a coyote!

I groaned to myself as he took off into a run for safer places. But luckily, the direction he chose was the one I wanted to head for next and maybe catch him crossing another draw. I circled over to my left, which was basically west, giving me the advantage of the rising sun at my back.

It worked, as within a few minutes I spotted the coyote coming through the trees at an angle approaching us. I dropped down to my knees and brought the Savage to my shoulder, but alas! Kloe spotted him also and took off after the now fleeing coyote. I quickly stood up, calling her off, and thankfully she responded and came trotting back.

The scene I then witnessed caused me to drop my jaw open! The coyote was FOLLOWING her back to me!

Recovering from my shock, I again dropped to my knees and brought up the A-17, and just as Kloe got to me I hustled her behind me and found Mr. Yapper in the crosshairs. He had stopped at about 55 yards and was facing me straight on; NOT the shot I would have preferred but I was not looking this third chance in the mouth; I centered his chest right where his neck joined and pressed off. He instantly started whirling around in a tight circle like he was chasing his tail, and then after a few turns he collapsed.

Kloe again charged him and I yelled but it was OK; the critter was stone cold dead. Well, not really cold yet, but you get the picture!

I whooped and gave Kloe a massive hug. What a GREAT way to start out the Fourth of July!

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: Gregg Richter] #181825 07/04/2017 10:04 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Nice going Greg.Start Forth of July with a bang.

junebug
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: Gregg Richter] #181831 07/05/2017 5:00 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Good show, Gregg. You made your own "fireworks"

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: s4s4u] #181833 07/05/2017 11:14 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Good for you!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: Ernie] #181849 07/06/2017 3:19 AM
PythonHunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Nice one Gregg!

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: PythonHunter] #181850 07/06/2017 5:08 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Great shooting and great story!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: pab1] #181856 07/06/2017 3:03 PM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Thanks guys! It was a real rush. This same scenario happened on another coyote a few months ago, although I did not get that one; but it followed Kloe to me also. I might be developing a "new" method to hunt coyotes if the conditions are just right, although I do not like the idea of putting Kloe in danger.

Just another aspect of hunting: I LOVE learning something new every time I am out!

Sooo...I will leave you with this thought: I have read about using dogs to hunt coyotes and maybe I am on to something here...

;\)

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: Gregg Richter] #181857 07/06/2017 3:12 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
There are couple of guys here in the Gillette area that use dogs successfully for song dogs

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: Ernie] #181865 07/07/2017 2:19 AM
david tarbell Offline
Good going in my area there are so many they eat fawns like Scooby snacks but its only the dumb ones that don't circle down wind no matter what you play for them.

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: david tarbell] #181868 07/07/2017 2:26 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
There are a couple of good videos on you tube on decoy dogs for coyotes.

junebug
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: junebug] #181874 07/07/2017 10:49 PM
Duke3026 Offline
addict
addict
Good going! The coyote following dog back, is a territorial thing. Domestic dogs during the denning season,drive coyotes crazy. Makes it easier to call coyotes, as dogs become the main focal point. There are some entertaining DVD's on coyote calling with dogs. Guys that have trapper/calling dogs, will usually, use remote collars to bring there dogs back. Airedales cross Mt Cur. are popular. I'd make sure your dogs shots are up to date. Majority, of the time there's plenty of scrapping going on.

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: Duke3026] #181877 07/08/2017 2:29 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Great shot! What's your opinion on the 17's performance on the coyote?

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: Chance Weldon] #181893 07/08/2017 10:30 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Lone Wolf, I have had mixed results with well over a dozen hits on coyotes with the .17 HMR "standard" round, the A-17 "hopped up" one, and also the .17 WSM (all rim fires).

My thoughts: use the heavier bullet choice in each caliber, keep under 100 yards, and try for a broadside BEHIND THE SHOULDER heart/lung shot.

It's been said before, and will be said again, coyotes are TOUGH.

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: Gregg Richter] #181917 07/08/2017 8:53 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist

Gregg, I know this photo shows a trapped coyote but the dog belongs to a good friend from Utah who has used his Catahola`s to draw in and shoot quite a few coyotes.....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY VARMINT [Re: jamesfromjersey] #181929 07/09/2017 5:28 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Brave dog, eh!

James, Hey bud I lost your phone number and sent you a pm but haven't heard back...please call me! 303-838-4748.

Gregg

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 66 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod