Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January? #182290 08/03/2017 2:43 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on much in a while. A maximum class load over the short summer semester coupled with a part time job and farm work doesn't leave me with much free time. Semester's almost over, thankfully.

Anyway, here's the deal. I'm going to be in Oklahoma City from January 13th to 20th next year. My sister is going to be running in the Miss Rodeo USA competition, and I'm going to be there with the rest of my family to support her. However, we won't be allowed to actually be with her, or even to talk to her at all. We'll only be allowed to watch the competitions and email her at the end of the day. Silly rules, I'm aware.

Now, that's going to leave me with a lot of free time throughout the week. I was wondering if there would be any good hunting opportunities within a reasonable drive and during that time of year. For example, hogs, coyotes, or even groundhogs. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January? [Re: Chance Weldon] #182305 08/03/2017 1:13 PM
Buttermilk Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Deer season (archery) closes Jan 15th, so that doesn't leave much time.

Squirrel season will be open until end of January.

Coyote season is year around.

Hogs are year around, but depending on private vs public changes the rules up some.

I have no idea as to where around OK City you could find any hogs.

Regards,
Rog
Re: Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January? [Re: Buttermilk] #182317 08/03/2017 10:55 PM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I wouldn't mind making a hour or an hour and a half drive if I need to.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January? [Re: Chance Weldon] #182442 08/08/2017 2:44 AM
Okie Hunter Offline
old hand
old hand
Are you looking for a high fence or public land hunt?

With God all things are possible. Matt.19:26
Re: Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January? [Re: Okie Hunter] #182446 08/08/2017 3:40 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I was thinking public land or something like that that I could go on when the opportunities arise. Nothing guided or anything like that, unless it was fairly cheap and flexible.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

Re: Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January? [Re: Chance Weldon] #182469 08/09/2017 3:40 PM
Buttermilk Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
There are hogs on several of the public hunting WMA's. A little googling will turn up some info on those areas.

I've killed one hog a couple years ago on Heyburn WMA, but those hogs are hunted hard and pressured. Mostly nocturnal, which I find true of most public land hogs.

Regards,
Rog
Re: Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January? [Re: Buttermilk] #182713 08/21/2017 4:46 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
ONE OF MY CURRENT INTERESTS ARE THE POST CIVIL WAR INDIAN WARS. ONE OF THE MOST SUCCESSFUL, IF NOT MOST SUCCESSFUL, INDIAN FIGHTERS OF THAT TIME WAS COL. RANALD MACKENZIE, KNOWN TO THE INDIANS AS "BAD HAND" BECAUSE HE HAD LOST SOME FINGERS ON 1 HAND. IN AN EXCELLENT BOOK ON THE COL. BY CHARLES ROBINSON III ENTITLED "BAD HAND" I FOUND AN INTERESTING STORY ABOUT HUNTING IN OKLAHOMA (THEN KNOWN AS THE INDIAN TERRITORY). IN THE 1870's THE COL. WAS OCCASSIONALY STATIONED AROUND FT. SILL. THE COL. LIKED TO HUNT WITH FOXHOUNDS THAT WERE TRAINED TO ONLY GO AFTER WILDCATS AND BEARS. ON 1 SUCH HUNT THE FOXHOUNDS TOOK OFF WITH THE COL. FOLLOWING BEHIND ON HORSEBACK OVER ROUGH COUNTRY AND THRU THICK BRUSH. FINALLY THE HOUNDS BAYED THEIR QUARRY AND WHEN THE COL. GOT THERE THE HOUNDS HAD FERAL HOGS BAYED, AND BOY WAS HE PO'ed AT HIS FOXHOUNDS. MAYBE NOT WIDELY KNOWN, FERAL HOGS HAVE BEEN AROUND IN SOME AREAS FOR 100's OF YEARS.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January? [Re: 45MAN] #182714 08/21/2017 4:52 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
one of my favorite`s.....................................

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January? [Re: jamesfromjersey] #182923 08/28/2017 2:17 AM
Boartuff Offline
addict
addict
Check out the Chain Ranch for a day hunt for hogs or exotics.

~BT~
Re: Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January? [Re: Boartuff] #183210 09/07/2017 2:30 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Boartuff
Check out the Chain Ranch for a day hunt for hogs or exotics.

I've really been looking into Chain Ranch following your suggestion. The more I look into it, the more I want to give it a shot. If I can save up some money before then, I might even see if I can go after an axis deer.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod