Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Handgun 2 rifles 0 #11238 11/21/2005 3:14 AM
Bama Offline OP
OP Offline
Opening day of Alabama deer season came in Saturday morning and the challenge was on. Saturday morning I hunted with friend on his place and we both were handgun hunting, only someone forgot to tell the deer that. 27 degrees and even southern deer want to stay in the bed. Neither of us saw a deer. I did find a great spot with some Boone and Crocket grey squirles though. (saw 3 fox squiles today on another farm)

Saturday afternoon I drove up to the the hunting club and settled in for the afternoon hunt. The other folks looked at me funny when I threw a folding chair under one arm, shoulder holste under the other, and headed to a small green field to hunt. I walked to the edge of the field stepped back about 5 yards into some small pines and opened up the chair. I need to mention one nice thing about the Stoney Point bipod, it also works great as a cane/walking stick. I was set up for about an hour when a large doe walked into the field. She was 62 yards when I squeezed the trigger. She wheeled around and took off running back the way she came. I walked down to where she was standing and found some hair and a few drops of blood.
I walked back to the truck and waited for one of the guys to help me track. One guy said he heard the whop so he knew I had hit something, I just laughed. We headed back to the field and you bet you she dove right through a overgrown clear cut and down into the creek. Two hours later and the doe was loaded into the truck.

I didn't hunt this morning, but went to a friends farm this afternoon to help thin some does. I refer to this place as "The Zoo" it is loaded with large bucks, turkeys, squirles, and everything in between. They don't even spook from the gator or golf cart, they just stand there and watch you drive by. My goal today was to kill a doe, and I didn't want to be tempted to shoot at a buck. I headed to the field at 3:15 and as I stalked down the road I could see a deer in the field. I looked at the deeer throught the binocs and could tell it was a yearling so I wasn't going to shoot it. I was able to stalk to within 60 yards before a deer to my left that I didn't see caught wind of me and blew. The deer in the field then walked within 20 yards of me before trotting off. I got into the shooting house and before I could get comfortable I looked up and 3 deer walked into the field. Within 5 min there was 4 large does and 3 small deer in the field. They all fed to within 40 yards of where I was sitting. Finally one of the large does stepped clear of the group and I squeezed the trigger. She ran about 20 yards before she stopped with the other does and just looked around. She fell over standing in the middle of the other deer. None of the other deer ran off until I stepped out of the shooting house. I was back at the barn before 4:15, not bad for a flash doe hunt.

When my friend came back I asked if he saw anythig big enough to shoot. He said in one small field was a nice 8 point about 18" but he couldn't see if the 12 point was in there he wanted to shoot so instead of spooking them he went to the big field (10 acres). When he got to the big field there were 30 or so deer in it already with 8 or 9 good 3 1/2 year old bucks. He said over the next 30 min another 30 deer came into the field. He then left to go see what was in the long field. In the long field there was another 15-20 deer but nothing he wanted to shoot. I just shook my head and laughed. I know he's not making it up because I have seen them there myself with my jaw on the ground. He hasn't shot a "mounter" buck as he says in 5 years. He keeps saying he's good, but he'll be great next year.

He wanted to know if I would be back tomorrow to kill another doe. I just laughed and said I didn't know if I could let bucks like that walk past me.

Not bad for an opeing weekend. Oh yeah, those are the first woods goats I have shot in 5 years. Both shot with a RSBH with a 2 1/2x7 Burris scope. 200 grain barnes bullets.

If I was Better I'd be twins Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005
Re: Handgun 2 rifles 0 [Re: Bama] #11239 11/21/2005 3:56 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
dang!...sounds like deer heaven .....er a place to send em there

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Handgun 2 rifles 0 [Re: Bama] #11240 11/21/2005 5:43 PM
JeffD Offline
That's awesome! Wish I was into that kind of action, but I'm glad someone is. Good luck on the rest of your season.

Re: Handgun 2 rifles 0 [Re: JeffD] #11241 11/22/2005 1:14 AM
sglshotkw Offline
Sounds more like hunter heaven

Good job on the two does

KW
Re: Handgun 2 rifles 0 [Re: sglshotkw] #11242 11/23/2005 2:31 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
STACK em UP!!! Congrats!!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod