Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trouble with my 41 Mag/reflex sight #182562 08/14/2017 3:46 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
After finally finishing with my demanding summer classes (hallelujah!), I decided I needed to start shooting again. With squirrel season less than two weeks away, my first agenda was checking my Mark II's zero. It only needed a slight adjustment, but its ready to go. I then decided to begin sighting in my 41 Magnum Blackhawk's relatively new Vortex Viper reflex sight. Back last spring, I mounted this sight using a Weigand no-drill mount, but I didn't get around to shooting it much until today.

I fired three shots at 25 yards. This was the result:

Hmm. The horizontal spread was undoubtedly me, but the fact that they were hitting 10" high at 25 yards is quite . . . problematic. After taking a careful look at the revolver, it seemed as though, for whatever reason, the entire mount assembly seemed to be angled downward. Unfortunately, the screw is stuck in there tightly, and I think I might have rounded it out trying to get it out. However, I had a plan B. I took a thin washer and put it under the front of the sight:

Hopefully this will help.

Last edited by TN Lone Wolf; 08/25/2017 1:47 AM. Reason: Fix broken image

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Trouble with my 41 Mag/reflex sight [Re: Chance Weldon] #182564 08/14/2017 5:07 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Chance, If I remember correctly...when I owned the same type of sight by Leupold (Delta Point) they came with plastic shims to do exactly what you did....Never could get use to it as it seemed like a fly buzzing a TV screen because it really magnafied my shakes..... A lot of guys like `em.........Good luck

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Trouble with my 41 Mag/reflex sight [Re: jamesfromjersey] #182820 08/24/2017 7:57 PM
nuclearweasel Offline
Did you switch bullet weights in any sort of dramatic way? If you swapped from a 210 to a 250 or 265 that would account for quite a but of rise in your point of impact. When I switch from 210 XTPs to 230 hard cast I get about 4 inches of verticle POI shift at 25 yards, and that is with identical prime and powder charge.

Did you know that there are magical animals roaming wild, converting vegetables into bacon as we speak?
Re: Trouble with my 41 Mag/reflex sight [Re: nuclearweasel] #182822 08/24/2017 9:35 PM
Buttermilk Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Weigand normally makes those with a "jack" screw to level the base out.

Go to Jack Weigand's website or search on Youtube. There's a video of Jack showing how to install that base.

edit:
http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Revolver-Mini-Mount.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwOVP7j2IUg

Last edited by Buttermilk; 08/24/2017 9:40 PM.

Regards,
Rog
Re: Trouble with my 41 Mag/reflex sight [Re: Buttermilk] #182827 08/25/2017 1:46 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: nuclearweasel
Did you switch bullet weights in any sort of dramatic way? If you swapped from a 210 to a 250 or 265 that would account for quite a but of rise in your point of impact. When I switch from 210 XTPs to 230 hard cast I get about 4 inches of verticle POI shift at 25 yards, and that is with identical prime and powder charge.

No, I just put the mount and dot sight on. I was using the 210 grain SP loads I have available just to get it on paper and mostly sighted in before I start handloading some 250 grain hardcasts. The problem is, the group's not even on the target and there's not nearly enough adjustment.

Originally Posted By: Buttermilk
Weigand normally makes those with a "jack" screw to level the base out.

Go to Jack Weigand's website or search on Youtube. There's a video of Jack showing how to install that base.

edit:
http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Revolver-Mini-Mount.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwOVP7j2IUg

I'm aware of the screw. The issue for me is it's on the opposite end of the mount from where I need it.

So I shot the 41 again, and it turns out that washer was far too much adjustment. Not only that, it causes the entire sight to mount crooked. I removed the washer and cut a rectangle out of a thin aluminum Altoids mint container. I'm going to try that out this weekend to see if it helps. If not, I may have to just take the entire mount off and go back to the open sights.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod