Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Underwood 460 Rowland 230 #182754 08/22/2017 4:34 PM
minnesotahunter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I bought some of this ammo for my 1911 Range Officer converted to 460 Rowland. I would like to use it for deer hunting this year but I'm concerned about the bullet being able to handle the velocity of the 460.

I think lung/heart shots should be fine, but do you think this bullet would hold up to a shoulder shot. The bullet is a Nosler 230gr jacketed hollow point at around 1400fps.

Thanks!

Specs from the site are bellow:

Underwood Ammo? standard Jacketed Hollow Point rounds are unrivaled. We use Nosler bullets which feature a tapered copper alloy jacket which extends to the rim for increased feeding and reliability. These rounds are also characterized by a form-fitted pure lead core, which allows for reliable expansion and maximum accuracy.

As with all of Underwood Ammo? rounds, we utilize flash suppressed powder so that your vision will not be compromised if it becomes necessary to use your firearm in low light.

While taking advantage of our state of the art testing equipment, this high performance ammunition is field tested using popular, real firearms that our customers are most likely to own out in the real world with all the elements you would experience. If for some reason Underwood Ammunition fails to meet performance expectations, we stand by our product 100% and will make sure the customer is satisfied with every purchase.

This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical Information:
?Caliber: 460 Rowland
?Bullet Weight: 230 Grains
?Bullet Style: Nosler Jacketed Hollow Point
?Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
?Muzzle Velocity: 1400 fps
?Muzzle Energy: 1001 ft. lbs.

Re: Underwood 460 Rowland 230 [Re: minnesotahunter] #182779 08/23/2017 12:59 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I have been hand loading the 230 XTP up to 1500 fps. In the ballistic buffalo it actually held together. I backed it down to 1425 fps. Drives tacks and expands well. It really surprised me.

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod