Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anybody here shooting an HS Precision? #11325 11/24/2005 12:04 AM
AlanF Offline OP
OP Offline
Considering an HS Precision and would like to hear from those who are shooting them. Do you order them direct from HS Precision or is it better to go through a dealer? Leaning towards a 260 Rem for critters from varmints up to elk. Anybody shooting one of these in this pistol? I notice on the website they do not list too many options. Would like to get a 17" barrel if possible. How would it compare to have a custom XP built (I would have to start from scratch on an XP project)? What do ya think?

AlanF

Faith. Freedom. Family.
Re: Anybody here shooting an HS Precision? [Re: AlanF] #11326 11/24/2005 3:56 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I almost had a HS Precision this past summer but did not scrape together the funds in time...someone else ended up with it! They are supposed to be SUPER accurate. My custom XP-100 has a HS Varmint stock on it and is just awesome. It has had action work, Hart barrel, trigger and the HS stock. I bought it built for a great deal but it must have cost about $1400 to build. I'm also in the process of brainstorming on my next project which will be a XP-100. I've got $500 in buying the gun which has a Redfield base amd three ring mount along with a good 7X Burris scope...the base, rings and scope are worth at least $200.

So...saying I got the gun for $300...I'll have $400 in a barrel, threading, and chambering work. Then close to another $400 in the HS stock by the time it is delivered, finished cut in (which I'll do) then bedding work completed. The HS stock alone is about $325 per the website. So the total (counting the base and scope) will be $1300. That's getting close to the cost of a HS handgun. I'm going the XP route since I can have the work done as I can afford it...I'm a terrible saver when it comes to buying guns so to save the entire lump sum for a HS is tough!!

Then iffin you need a trigger...add mo'money to the total. My project gun has a great trigger so it will stay. If you need any bluing work done you can also increase the cost.

Ernie and Steve may be able to detail this better since they have built several custom XP's and Strikers. My numbers are based off of several custom long guns I've had built.

Re: Anybody here shooting an HS Precision? [Re: AlanF] #11327 11/24/2005 4:25 AM
nmhunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Alan, I have several of the HS's I went the route of buyting the HS instead os a XP custom. I am very pleased with all of them , my latest is a 300 WSM and it is a sub inch gun as is all of them. I do have a 260 and it is a shooter as well. . I have Burris 3x12 on all of them and have no reason to look at anything else.
any more questions, send me a PM.
nmhunter

Re: Anybody here shooting an HS Precision? [Re: AlanF] #11328 11/24/2005 4:18 PM
Hawkeye Offline
old hand
old hand
Don't think you can go wrong with the 260. I have one in the XP100R right now and it is my go-to gun. I got the XP after shooting the Encore with a 15" Custom Shop barrel in 260 for a while and found the .260 for sale in CO. The only thing I have done to it is paint the stock and adjust the trigger.
It shoots 3/4" groups at 100yd and 1.5" at 200 with a 3x12 Burris BPlex and my hand loads. Read the story about"I'm out of here..going to hunt Wyoming Antelope". I took my 260 there hoping to get a 400 yd plus shot. I had been practicing out to 400yds. The goats wouldn't cooperate so I had to shoot one closer.
I load Speer 120grn Hot Core Sp's with Varget and also Nosler 120grn Ballistic Tips. Both shoot great. I'm going to try some 140's for hogs this winter in the Sierra Game King.
I guess it would be a toss up between getting HS to build a XP for me and having it done. I like the idea of picking a barrel/caliber and a gunsmith, then a stock and color and other modifications. I'm like Dan, I can save in spurts for each process and take my time. I have heard that HS has a long wait. Not sure if it would make any difference if you had an individual do it and get it sooner.
Good luck in whatever you choose and I know you will enjoy.
Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: Anybody here shooting an HS Precision? [Re: Hawkeye] #11329 11/25/2005 8:28 PM
tnwill Offline
I hope to have my HS any day. I have been waiting almost a year for it, and I hope it is worth the wait. It is a varmint model chambered in 284 win.

Re: Anybody here shooting an HS Precision? [Re: tnwill] #11330 11/26/2005 8:12 PM
nmhunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
hope you get it soon, I really like the 300 i just got. 12 months is a long time to wait though.
nmhunter

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 48 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod