Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Need Opinions, Scientific, or Theoretical Data #11351 11/25/2005 12:42 PM
Hawkeye Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
...about Gas Checks on Cast Bullets for my 45LC SBH Hunter.
I have, since I got it three weeks back, shot some 300grn WFN Gas Check cast, 320 WFN Plain Base cast, 295 WFN Gas Check cast bullets in this pistol. It digests all of them well. Right now the groups are bette with the 300grn Gas Check. I even shot some Buffalo Bore 320grn ammo which I'm not sure if they are GC or Plain Base. They sure whop the dirt bank behind the target.
What is the benefit of gas checks or plain base bullets based on your shooting them or casting them. I'm getting ready to buy a bunch of cast so I will have plenty to load when I find the best for this pistol.
Some of my shooting will of course be at paper to stay in practice but I want these for hunting whitetail, hogs and maybe Elk if they are in close.
Any help will be appreciated. I have been through the links on here that sell bullets and like the looks of two or three of the vendors so I'm ready to invest.

Mike..OK

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: Need Opinions, Scientific, or Theoretical Data [Re: Hawkeye] #11352 11/25/2005 1:19 PM
blueavenger Offline
stranger
stranger
the base theory is the gas check keeps the flame from melting the bottom of the bullet with a hot charge.

Quiet voices or I will poke you with a Q tip again!
Re: Need Opinions, Scientific, or Theoretical Data [Re: Hawkeye] #11353 11/25/2005 2:03 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Hey...dropping your check in the mail today. I'll send you some 270gr and 340gr Penn bullets to try. Go the stock on Wednesday...did not expect it so soon!!

I've shot 300gr GC and a lot of 300-320gr plain base bullets. I've never noticed any difference in accuracy relative to whether the bullet has a GC or not...it more depends on what the gun likes. And as was mentioned, the GC supposedly allows you to drive the bullets fasterwithout melting the bullet base. Some of the Penn line of slugs are actually a beveled base...accuracy is great and they are easier to load.

Re: Need Opinions, Scientific, or Theoretical Data [Re: Dan B.] #11354 11/25/2005 3:02 PM
Hawkeye Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Dan, I have read your reviews on this site and Penn bullet. I have really liked the looks of the Thunderhead and it seemed to shoot for you and others in the Ruger.
The cast bullets I'm shooting are from a guy in Nebraska that work well but just fell of the planet. No one can find him. I have heard the reasons for the GC keeping the bullet from meltdown but then some advertise their bullets are hard enough not to need the GC and then I wonder if they would perform or be just like an arrow going through game.
So many choices.I would like to stay in the 300 grn range but plus or minus a few wouldn't hurt. I look forward to seeing the bullets you send. I could just hear hitting a hog with a Thunderhead. WHOP.
Hope you had a good Thanksgiving and glad you got the stock.

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: Need Opinions, Scientific, or Theoretical Data [Re: Hawkeye] #11355 11/25/2005 3:33 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i don't shoot much cast yet...but i know people who do.

what the gun likes is LARGELY dependent on bullet size(dia.) compared to bore size. ya need to size em to fit yer gun.

cast boolits site is the place to learn from the masters.
cast boolits website <<click on LINK

Kentucky….no place like home.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod