Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
For newbies and lurkers #185058 10/17/2017 3:45 AM
reflex264 Offline OP
Gun Slinger
OP Offline
Gun Slinger
Don't be afraid to post pics of your kills. This isn't the forum to just post 170" bucks. We like to see pics of handgun kills regardless of size. Post away and don't be afraid someone is going g to dis your deer. We love to read stories about the hunts well. Just pull up a log to the fire and enjoy yourself. I know several of you that are lurkers. Just dive in.

Last edited by reflex264; 10/17/2017 12:54 PM.

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: reflex264] #185059 10/17/2017 4:01 AM
MrMcPorkchop Offline
Headed to Idaho in 3 weeks with two whitetail tags, haven't decided if I'm taking the 45LC Blackhawk or the 357 GP100 but the plan is to come back with pictures for you guys.

Choot em!
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: MrMcPorkchop] #185060 10/17/2017 4:30 AM
reflex264 Offline OP
Gun Slinger
OP Offline
Gun Slinger
Looking forward to the pics. Everything is better with a handgun.

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: reflex264] #185066 10/17/2017 10:25 AM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
Agree with this thread. Anything taken with a handgun is a trophy.

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: Randy M] #185069 10/17/2017 11:47 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HANDGUN HUNTER DENSITY IS ELSEWHERE BUT IT SEEMS TO BE EXTREMELY LOW IN DEEP SOUTH TEXAS, AND WE USUALLY DO NOT KNOW OF EACH OTHER, SO WE HANDGUN HUNTERS NEED A SITE LIKE THIS TO HAVE SOMEONE TO TALK TO. IF YOU POST A PICTURE ON THE "BRAGGING BOARD" ITS NOT BRAGGING, ITS JUST TALKING TO YOUR BUDDIES. I WANT TO SEE WHAT GUNS GUYS HAVE, WHAT THEY HAVE TAKEN, WHERE AND HOW, etc. ONE YEAR I KILLED 2 MATURE 6 POINT WH BUCKS WITH MY JRH MODIFIED 5 1/2 INCH SS RUGER BISLEY IN 45 COLT WITH OPEN SIGHTS, ONE OF MY BEST DEER SEASONS EVER, AND I HAVE SHOT SOME BIG ASS, HIGH SCORING DEER, SO YES, TAKE 'EM WITH A HANDGUN AND YOU GOT BRAGGING RIGHTS, SO LET US KNOW ABOUT THEM.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: 45MAN] #185071 10/17/2017 12:30 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I agree. The only people I know who handgun hunt here in North Carolina are here on this site. None of the people I have ever hunted with have used a handgun. I know some people here think I am out in left field sometimes because I do use a handgun but that does not bother me but is nice to have experienced people to talk with. That is why I enjoy this site so much. Thanks guys!

Michael Joe Moore
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: REDHAWK1954] #185072 10/17/2017 1:09 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Same here. I'm the only handgun hunter that I'm aware of around here. I don't think I would have become the handgun hunter that I am without this site and everyone on it.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: Chance Weldon] #185073 10/17/2017 1:27 PM
Newt Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I am hunting exclusively with my SBH in 44 mag this year. I hope to have several pics and stories to share... if I can figure out how to post pics from my iPad.

.45 Man,
I'm not in South Texas, but I'm not too far north of you.

Par

Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: MrMcPorkchop] #185076 10/17/2017 2:17 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
....haven't decided if I'm taking the 45LC Blackhawk or the 357 GP100....

Well you do have 2 tags so the answer is obvious.....BOTH ;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: reflex264] #185098 10/17/2017 4:02 PM
WildShot Offline
stranger
stranger
I am really bad about lurking (and learning) but not participating. So this morning I posted a few picks on the threads that I have been enjoying but until now have not joined in. It is more fun if it is a two way conversation.

Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: s4s4u] #185099 10/17/2017 4:08 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
THERE ARE PROBABLY SOME GUYS THAT WOULD LOVE TO SHOOT A DEER WITH A HANDGUN, AND MAY EVEN CARRY A REVOLVER ON THEIR BELT, BUT THEY JUST CAN'T LEAVE THEIR RIFLE AT HOME, I USED TO BE THAT WAY UNTIL 1981 WHEN I STARTED USING ONLY HANDGUNS FOR HUNTING, BEST MOVE I EVER MADE! NO AC/DC FOR ME, HANDGUNS FIRST AND FOREMOST.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: 45MAN] #185109 10/17/2017 6:32 PM
Newt Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Exactly what I'm trying to do this year.

Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: s4s4u] #185128 10/17/2017 8:48 PM
MrMcPorkchop Offline
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
....haven't decided if I'm taking the 45LC Blackhawk or the 357 GP100....

Well you do have 2 tags so the answer is obvious.....BOTH ;-)

I know, I think that where I'm at because I can't make up my mind. It's not strictly a handgun only hunt for me personally, I'm leaving behind my '06 rifle and taking my open sighted '94 30-30. The handgun was going to be for my second deer tag, but I may just take both pistols and be done with it. Also wolf tags are $38 and they are plentiful in our area, but nerves may get the best of me there and he may get the rifle treatment. Either way I'm getting at least one handgun kill in on this trip, deer tags are either sex, so lessens the pressure some, allows me to pick my shots or pass my shots easier.

Choot em!
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: WildShot] #185132 10/17/2017 9:24 PM
RandyB Offline
stranger
stranger
With a new job and trying to figure out what I'm doing I missed out on elk hunting this year. Our plan was for an 8-day wilderness muzzleloader hunt, but life happened and bills need to be paid.

That said, I believe someone on this forum said at one time "the best way to kill deer with a handgun is to leave the rifle at home". Last Saturday I got out for our deer opener in WA on my inlays place. They have about 120 acres of broken timber and high desert type terrain. I had only my Ruger Toklat with me. I had 5 muley does at 50 yards or less for about 1/2 an hour in the morning. Late in the day as I headed back to the ranch house I jumped a couple more does and had a little one at about 30 yards for probably 10 minutes. I did glass a 2-point bedded in a rock slide about 600 yards up the canyon, but alas this a 3-point or better unit as is much of eastern WA.

Regardless, a grand day in the mountains and fun to be up close with game. This weekend I head to the Walla Walla wheat country with my nephew. Youth can take 3-pt or better mule deer or whitetail bucks or doe whitetail, so we'll very likely at least get him an opportunity. He killed a dandy 2 years ago his first season out as an 8-year old with my old 300 Savage. I will be packing the Toklat again to see if I can ambush something in the creek bottom.

If I don't tag this weekend, it's off to NE WA in November for late whitetail. Thick mountain cover and short shots. The Ruger should be perfect on that trip.

I hopefully will have some pics for you all in the next couple of weeks, and hopefully the Ruger will help me open a new chapter in my hunting adventures.

Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: RandyB] #185134 10/17/2017 9:32 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
TO THE RIFLE TOTERS: NO GUTS NO GLORY, JUST LEAVE THE RIFLE AT HOME, AND HUNT A LITTLE HARDER.

Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: 45MAN] #185146 10/18/2017 1:01 AM
WiseGuy Offline
addict
addict
Be VERY VERY careful with this forum!!!! I can assure you these guys love helping you spend money and a lot of it. Because of this forum I am the owner of several FA, XP's, knives, etc. But to be honest I have met some of the coolest guys because of this forum. I lurked for several years but a certain XP brought me out of hiding. A particular hunter from SC provided a wealth of knowledge on his gun and Im waiting on almost an exact replica to be completed. They have went above and beyond to help with any question(s) that I may have or provide any info that they may deem useful. Join in and get your checkbook ready!!!!!!!

Bigger ain't always better....according to who???
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: WiseGuy] #185148 10/18/2017 1:37 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Yeah, I'd be a much richer man if I hadn't found this site.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: 45MAN] #185152 10/18/2017 2:06 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN
TO THE RIFLE TOTERS: NO GUTS NO GLORY, JUST LEAVE THE RIFLE AT HOME, AND HUNT A LITTLE HARDER.

alas i have a pair of 94s that have to go out at least once. Win 32spl and Stevens 16g then the trapdoor carbine starts making racket.............. thankfully i have 3 days off one week and 4 the next all year long.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: Chance Weldon] #185153 10/18/2017 2:09 AM
BushytailBasher Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
You'll get to the point where you carry a long gun and wonder what the neck you were thinking.... Every time I carry anything other than a handgun I regret it lol.... I usually carry a contender in whatever caliber suits the game and my 1911 45 super and it still carries better than my ar-15 even with the super 14 223 barrel... As for other handgunners around here they are either on this site or my dad lmao and he doesnt handgun hunt anymore he prefers efficiency not challenge though back in the days of the smoothbore slug gun he always carried the contender that I have now since it was a better killer at longer ranges than the old foster slugs... And the guys at work seem surprised every time I kill something with one of my pistols though since they are all big bow hunters I don't know why... Cause I carry more heat

Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: BushytailBasher] #185178 10/18/2017 5:35 PM
reflex264 Offline OP
Gun Slinger
OP Offline
Gun Slinger
I was already gun poor when I found it. Lol

Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: reflex264] #185228 10/19/2017 1:40 PM
BKS Offline
This is my favorite forum thanks for letting me in.
Monday was my first of many, handgun only hunts.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: 45MAN] #185240 10/19/2017 4:16 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN
DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HANDGUN HUNTER DENSITY IS ELSEWHERE BUT IT SEEMS TO BE EXTREMELY LOW IN DEEP SOUTH TEXAS, AND WE USUALLY DO NOT KNOW OF EACH OTHER, SO WE HANDGUN HUNTERS NEED A SITE LIKE THIS TO HAVE SOMEONE TO TALK TO. IF YOU POST A PICTURE ON THE "BRAGGING BOARD" ITS NOT BRAGGING, ITS JUST TALKING TO YOUR BUDDIES. I WANT TO SEE WHAT GUNS GUYS HAVE, WHAT THEY HAVE TAKEN, WHERE AND HOW, etc. ONE YEAR I KILLED 2 MATURE 6 POINT WH BUCKS WITH MY JRH MODIFIED 5 1/2 INCH SS RUGER BISLEY IN 45 COLT WITH OPEN SIGHTS, ONE OF MY BEST DEER SEASONS EVER, AND I HAVE SHOT SOME BIG ASS, HIGH SCORING DEER, SO YES, TAKE 'EM WITH A HANDGUN AND YOU GOT BRAGGING RIGHTS, SO LET US KNOW ABOUT THEM.

Hey 45man, I'm in New Braunfels now but grew up in Sinton/Corpus area. You're right about the HH density. I did manage to get one of my lease mates to drink the koolaid though.

Hope to meet you one day.

Randy

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: Randy M] #185365 10/22/2017 1:41 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I know I've told this story before butttttt. So in college at Colorado State university 1981. Ventured into a gun shop that catered to black powder enthusiasts. There I found a replica 1858 remington cap and ball revolver. A buddy from my dorm was with me. He had 2 cap and ball revolvers. We went out that weekend and did some jack rabbit hunting. When the first real snow came we ventured up into the foothills and deep draws hunting snow shoe hares. Haven't picked up a rifle to hunt with since. Still have fun shooting them in 3 gun matches etc but when I leave the house I always carry 2 handguns. My SKS customized 308 encore and what ever wheel gun I feel like. My wife has her shoes. I have my handguns lol.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: cfish2] #185784 10/30/2017 5:56 PM
AZShaun Offline
stranger
stranger
I am not a good hunter. I have always wanted to try it but never had the opportunity or someone to teach me. Deer hunting is a dream. So, teaching myself to hunt is my only option. That being said, below is my first successful hunt in my life. I used my little pocket 22LR a Taurus PT22. I carry that gun with me almost everywhere. How many can say their first kill was with their carry gun? But I digress. I don't participate much because frankly I don't know what I am doing. I am convinced Fish and Game aee lying to us about game in the desert, or I got the last 2 rabbits, as my second successful hunt was with my 6.5in Ruger Blackhawk 41... but it kind of blew up the rabbit. Anyway, here is the story:

So, I finally was able to go out again. Being the summer and sun rise coming up early, I left the house at 5am. Sunrise was due in 20 minutes... just enough time for me to get to Four Peaks road and find a spot.

I have my Taurus PT22 which I carry everywhere, my 41 magnum, and a box of 50 reloads I have been trying out. 215 hardcast swc under 20.5 grains Ramshot enforcer.

So I find my spot... get out of the car with my 41 ready. Start walking the desert... slowly... navigating around the plethora of cactus... going down one ravine and up the other... I see a hawk flying and land on a Saguaro cactus a few yards away. Other than that all is still except for the bugs being annoying... finally I turn right... figure I can go up the hill and see what's on the other side... remembering a friend said sometimes they can't hear you when you do that...

I get to the top of the hill and there are some cactus patches... a cottontail jumps out and scampers up ahead. 1st sign of any life outside of a rabbit taunting me just as I turn off the highway. So, I briefly go to my 41 but decide... it is really close... I better try my edc. See what happens. Sure enough I get into a clearing in the patch of cactus and about 10 ft in front of me is the cottontail hiding in another cactus. I line up my small sites and fire... missed! I stay still as it scampers to my left into the open... as I watch it stops about 18 feet away... so I line up again... one more shot and send a 38 grain hp through him. In about 10 seconds he stops moving. No expansion that I can tell... but completely pass through. Entered right behind the left rib cage and exited right before the other front leg on he right.

So my first successful kill was with my edc .22lr from a pocket pistol.