Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ruger Blackhawk Loading Gate #185301 10/21/2017 2:19 AM
MrMcPorkchop Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a Ruger Blackhawk 45LC. Part of the time when cocking it I can see the loading gate catch, and open slightly as the rim catches it going by, then click back shut. When I look at it with the gun empty I can't see where the loading gate protrudes farther out than the recoil shield. But obviously it does enough to catch occasionally. Cartridges are seated all the way in the cylinder, not getting hung up because of fouling or anything. Just that once you fire it or tip the gun back the cartridges slide back a hair in the cylinder, if I tip the gun straight down and bring it back to level slowly, and cock it the gate doesn't catch. My Blackhawk has always done this, had at least 500 rounds through it, done it since day one. Just curious if anyone else has this same issue or if it's just me?

Thanks,

Eric

Choot em!
Re: Ruger Blackhawk Loading Gate [Re: MrMcPorkchop] #185327 10/21/2017 3:40 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Just curious if anyone else has this same issue or if it's just me?

I've never had this issue. Are you sure there isn't a burr or rise on the surface of the gate?

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Ruger Blackhawk Loading Gate [Re: s4s4u] #185336 10/21/2017 6:33 PM
MrMcPorkchop Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
Just curious if anyone else has this same issue or if it's just me?

I've never had this issue. Are you sure there isn't a burr or rise on the surface of the gate?

Nothing that is obvious, I'm guessing the loading gate must stick out a couple thousandths. Out hunting I don't really notice it, but shooting at the range I'm much more aware when it does happen. I can feel it catch when I'm cocking the hammer as well as see the loading gate jump slightly when it does happen. It has never hung up badly or felt like anything was binding up, just a light click and the loading gate moves. Headed to Idaho in a couple weeks to put it to use on whitetails. I'll have to investigate more after I'm back.

Thanks,

Eric.

Choot em!
Re: Ruger Blackhawk Loading Gate [Re: MrMcPorkchop] #185339 10/21/2017 7:35 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have seen such a thing once. The problem was not the loading gate, but with the gate detent spring. It stuck out just enough that the cartridge rim caught it. This caused the loading gate to twitch a bit. Look at it closely. You might be able to file the gate detent spring down, to prevent it being caught by the cartridge. I fixed it by replacing the gate detent spring, easily obtained from Ruger.

Re: Ruger Blackhawk Loading Gate [Re: 500WE] #185369 10/22/2017 2:22 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: 500WE
I have seen such a thing once. The problem was not the loading gate, but with the gate detent spring. It stuck out just enough that the cartridge rim caught it. This caused the loading gate to twitch a bit. Look at it closely. You might be able to file the gate detent spring down, to prevent it being caught by the cartridge. I fixed it by replacing the gate detent spring, easily obtained from Ruger.

I had the same issue once, that Ken mentioned. I filed mine down just a little, polished and replaced; no problem since.

If that's the issue, you can usually see some fine brass shavings on the spring.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Ruger Blackhawk Loading Gate [Re: KRal] #185488 10/24/2017 4:10 PM
Yetiman Offline
stranger
stranger
I was just having this same issue last week with my Bisley Hunter. Time to look into it. Thanks for the replies !

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod