Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Addicted to Altitude #187714 12/21/2017 4:34 AM
cessna Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I just finished a rather long flight from Alaska. I had obtained a copy of Mark Hampton's book "Addicted to Altitude". If you're reading this Mark, thanks for stories. It made my flight very enjoyable. I love reading about the adventure of hunting new lands and the animals we hunt. Especially with a handgun. I like the fact you mentioned what equipment you used, but seemed to focus on the adventure, the country and the personalities you encountered. It's very refreshing in this day of commercial hunting stories. Well done sir.

Re: Addicted to Altitude [Re: cessna] #187715 12/21/2017 5:48 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Mark did a real good job on that.
I enjoyed reading it when it first came out.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Addicted to Altitude [Re: Ernie] #187818 12/22/2017 6:01 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
A unique book by a unique man......

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Addicted to Altitude [Re: cessna] #187853 12/23/2017 9:04 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I've enjoyed Mark's book Handgun Hunting and can't count the number of times I've read it. I've given copies of it away to people interested in handgun hunting. I've never picked up a copy of Addicted to Altitude though. I think part of the reason is that my knees are shot now. I know my days of hunting high altitudes and steep terrain are limited. After many years of backpack hunting wilderness areas last year I finally stopped putting in for mountain goat tags because I know my knees won't allow me to do that hunt any longer. I love hunting bighorn sheep and have been fortunate enough to have taken ewe's with a recurve bow and a revolver. Though I still put in for ewes (I don't have the patience to put in for ram tags that I may never draw) I know my days of being able to hunt them are numbered. Maybe I'll pick up a copy of Addicted to Altitude just to live vicariously through Marks hunts.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Addicted to Altitude [Re: pab1] #187854 12/23/2017 11:51 AM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
You should get a copy. At 63 my knees and feet will not allow me to hunt high altitude either but I have enjoyed Mark's book.

Michael Joe Moore
Re: Addicted to Altitude [Re: REDHAWK1954] #187867 12/23/2017 3:56 PM
cessna Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Like I mentioned in my original post, I enjoy the adventure part of any hunt. I like knowing about the people encountered and the country you are in. Mark's book make's his hunts seem like an adventure, as they truly are. So many people get carried away anymore about the equipment and the technical side of things. I enjoy that also, but not at the expense of the adventure. I've been around sheep hunters most of my adult life, and have taken a couple myself. It was just a pleasure to sit on a plane and read about sheep and goats in other parts of the world. And the hardships and success and failure of his hunts. As a member of SCI, I get to read occasionally about his adventures in Safari magazine. Like I said Mark, well done.

Re: Addicted to Altitude [Re: cessna] #187872 12/23/2017 5:38 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I also enjoy the adventure part of any hunting story. That is something that I think the major hunting magazines have list over the years. Today many articles are full of good technical info but are lacking in humor and human interest. When I started hunting in the early sixties most deer hunters did not even know what a scrape was about. There is so much more good I formation about deer behavior than then but we still need the human interest side of the story. Mark's writing and several others on this site have a way of making me feel like I have livedntheir stories. I do not know about everyone here but I need that. Thank you all for adding your stories to this site.

Michael Joe Moore

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod