Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MatchDot, MatchDot 2, UltraDot 6 #188117 12/31/2017 7:01 PM
Mech 8 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I was wondering if any of you are using the Matchdot, Matchdot 2, or Ultradot 6 on your firearms, including long guns. I currently have an Ultradot 25(1 inch), and 2 Ultradot 30's. The sights have served me well but the dot seems bigger than the 4 MOA, and I would like something with a little finer aiming point. Thanks in advance for any and all input on this subject.

Re: MatchDot, MatchDot 2, UltraDot 6 [Re: Mech 8] #188136 01/01/2018 2:46 PM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
Mech 8
I happen to have all of the above. My old original UltraDot 25 is currently on my CVA Optima muzzle loading pistol. It came on my first 480 Super RedHawk that I bought used. My UltraDot 30 is on my 480 Super RedHawk. I have a MatchDot II 30mm on my 357 Maximum Contender barrel, as well as on my CVA Scout also in 357 Maximum. The Match Dot 6 is on an AR15 with a 22 LR Tactical Solutions upper.

UltraDot 25: Better than any other brand of tube type red dot that I have any experience with. Tracks well, 4 MOA dot.

UltraDot 30: I much prefer the additional field of view over the 1" (25mm) version. Has only the 4 MOA dot. Also tracks well.

MatchDot II 30mm: This version has sever upgrades over a straight UltraDot. First would be reticles, it has 6 options. You have a Cross hair with a Circle and Dot, a Circle Dot, 8 MOA Dot, 6 MOA Dot, 4 MOA Dot and last but not least the 2 MOA Dot. I guess it was least :). The 4 MOA Dot, and 2 MOA Dot are the only ones that I use. In very low light going down to the 2 MOA Dot really helps with Bloom. It is also handy when working on the Sight Zero.
We have another feature the Elevation Dial has a Ballistic Turret that can be reset to "0" on the dial. It works pretty well.
On my 357 Maximum with 180 grain XTP's.
100 Yards: *
125 Yards: UP 1.5 "Make No Correction"
150 Yards: Up 4
175 Yards: Up 8
200 Yards: Up 12

In my opinion all the UltraDot Tube Type Red Dot Sights could benefit from the installation of a Bubble Level. With a Dot Sight you have no Cross Hairs to help with keeping the gun squared up. A Bubble Level helps you keep the sight in the same position for each shot. It will help you not walking the shots Left and Right at longer ranges.

I use the Tiny Bikini Scope covers to keep the glass clean. I have tried the flip up covers. They come off during recoil after a few shots. I find it handier to take the Tiny Bikini's off and put them back in the case, or a pocket.

UltraDot 6: You have all the features mentioned for the MatchDot II, 6 Reticle Patterns, and the Elevation Adjustment Turret. It also has a 37mm Objective. I am not sure if you can see any more through it than a regular 30mm tube model. It looks good anyway. I do use the flip up covers on this one. What is the useable range of the Red Dot on a Rifle? My best guess would be 400 yards on something like a 16" X 16" Plate off a bipod. Possibly a little further.

I have dealt with Heather at UltraDot West for all of my purchases so far.

I hope I was of some help.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: MatchDot, MatchDot 2, UltraDot 6 [Re: Bob Roach] #188137 01/01/2018 3:03 PM
Mech 8 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for the info Bob, it's exactly what I was looking for. I have a couple of specific questions concerning the circle with dot reticle(s), like how big do you consider the dot to be, and is the circle distracting from the dot. Would you consider the Ultradot 6 too large for use on a handgun, say a 12 inch barreled Contender? When going from one reticle/dot to another is there a change in point of impact?

Re: MatchDot, MatchDot 2, UltraDot 6 [Re: Mech 8] #188139 01/01/2018 3:20 PM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
The Circle Dot w/Cross Hairs has a smaller Dot and Circle than the Circle Dot.
The Circle and Dot size are both larger on the Circle Dot.
I do not use either reticle pattern. I would need a warmer day to get to the range and set up a Grid Sheet at 100 yards to give you an answer on the Circle sizes.

The UltraDot 6 should work ok on a Contender. It looks like the 37mm front bell should clear the scope base.

Change of impact changing reticle patterns. I have wondered about that myself. It does not seem to be an issue going from 2 MOA to 4 MOA Dot sizes. Those are the only 2 reticles I have used so far. I would need another range day in better weather to check this out.
Not sure what temperature it is now at 9:18 AM, but when we got home from the New years Eve party last night is was 1 degree on the truck thermometer. When it warms up, I will try and get some additional answers for you.

Bob

See You At The Range
Re: MatchDot, MatchDot 2, UltraDot 6 [Re: Bob Roach] #188142 01/01/2018 4:10 PM
JDK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Back in the '80s, I used an Aimpoint 1000 on a S&W M27 for hunting and loved it, except battery life was horrible back then. Since then, I haven't had an electronic sight on a handgun. Recently, I decided to do it again and ordered a Weigand mount for my Redhawk. I plan to mount a Primary Arms advanced micro red dot on it. It just has a 2 MOA dot. I use them on rifles and like them a lot, but we'll see how it holds up to the Redhawk. It seems the Ultradot is the preferred RDS for handgun hunters. If the PA sight doesn't work out, the Match dot may be next up, so this is good info for me As well.

As an aside, this Redhawk was chopped at 4" and worked over by Dave Clements back around 2007. I'm loathe to drill into the topstrap, but just don't shoot it well enough with the irons to hunt. Not sure why, as I shoot iron sighted Glocks regularly. Anyway, it seems an RDS is the only way to bring it out of the safe.

Last edited by JDK; 01/01/2018 4:11 PM.

John

But for the grace of God, there, I go.
Re: MatchDot, MatchDot 2, UltraDot 6 [Re: JDK] #188637 01/15/2018 1:49 PM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
Mech 8 I did a little shooting in the cold weather.
I put together a grid on a silhouette target and placed it at 100 yards. Worthless, I could not make out the grid through the sight. Moved it to 50 yards. I still could not use the grid I made. Best that I could tell the Circle Cross Reticle pattern has a 12" Circle at 50 yards. Using a 10" paper Plate the circle was just enough larger than the plate to see a little cardboard between the plate and the circle.
The Circle Dot was much larger. It was off the sides of the cardboard 16" wide Silhouette target a couple inches on both sides. My guess would be that the Circle Dot Covers 20" at 50 yards.
I only shot with the 2 and 4 MOA Dot sizes again at 50 yards. I could not detect any difference in bullet impact between them. I was shooting my AR15/22LR with Federal Champion ammo. I gun would fire and eject, but not pick a round up from the magazine. So I quit for the day.
Weather is supposed to warm back up again by weekend. I will try and shoot again then with all reticles.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: MatchDot, MatchDot 2, UltraDot 6 [Re: Bob Roach] #188734 01/17/2018 2:11 AM
Mech 8 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for the info Bob. After reading your first post I thought about what it said in regards to you only using the 2 and 4 moa dots. I have since taken my S&W 629 equipped with the Ultradot 30 and it's supposed 4 moa dot, and shot it at 8 inch swingers from a distance of 100 yards. I was able to keep all six shots within about a 4 inch group, but the dot appeared to cover what looked like 6 moa. I couldn't help but think that if the dot covered less target, I could probably tighten up the group a little bit. I'll probably upgrade to the Matchdot for the option of the 2 moa dot, and I like the looks of the two tone black and silver. Thanks again!

Re: MatchDot, MatchDot 2, UltraDot 6 [Re: Mech 8] #188738 01/17/2018 3:16 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
I'll probably upgrade to the Matchdot for the option of the 2 moa dot

Word is UltraDot is coming out with a new sight with a single 2moa dot.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: MatchDot, MatchDot 2, UltraDot 6 [Re: s4s4u] #188743 01/17/2018 4:42 PM
Craig44 Offline
addict
addict
I think it depends on your use. I put the Matchdot on my SRH .480 strictly for the smaller dot size. Then I put the Ultra30 on my SRH .44Mag and wish I'd done the same on the .480. In fact, I may do that and put the Matchdot on something else.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod