Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals #188409 01/06/2018 9:42 PM
curioushooter Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Greetings. I have a T/C G2 Contender with a 12" 357 Mag barrel and a 14" 357 Herrett barrel.

This is sort of an embarrassing question, but I am pretty unsure of how to hold this pistol in a way that promotes accuracy. I find that when I hold it like I normally hold a revolver that the length and weight of the Contender become fatiguing and I cannot get steady sight alignment, so I tried holding the forend on the pistol. I find that pulling forward on the forend with one arm and pulling backward with my grip hand seems to help steady it. Is there something here I am missing? Should I consider crossing sides and shooting with my left hand on the trigger and my right hand on the forend?

I would also like to use effective shooting aides, like a walking stick and/or sling for hunting.

I apologize in the first place if this has been covered, but I didn't turn up much with some searches. It may be a case of poor keyword choice. Thanks for the attention.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 01/07/2018 12:34 AM.
Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: curioushooter] #188417 01/06/2018 11:02 PM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
I would suggest this article by Gary as a great start.

http://www.handgunhunt.com/promo/members...s%20That%20Work

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: billa] #188418 01/06/2018 11:09 PM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
I find that my weak hand holding at the point where the trigger guard meets the forend works best in a traditional 2 hand hold. I do prefer using a sling to push against for the best offhand hold. I will look for a pic showing this.

Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: billa] #188421 01/07/2018 12:04 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
The deal with the single shots is you have to be steady, a tri pod or the Bog Pod PSR, is my choice, another thing I use is a TV tray, on my ladder stands , I mount a piece of plywood to the rail , and shoot off my pack, as a handgun hunter we have to be creative,whatever it takes !

Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: racksmasher1] #188426 01/07/2018 12:39 AM
curioushooter Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you for the great attention, and Gary's Field Positions That Work is great, and it pretty much shows me what to do with sticks and trees which I never thought of (though I have been known to use a big tree to steady a rifle).

Perhaps the question I should have asked is how do folks literally "hold" their Contenders in an unsupported position? Do folks apply tension between their arms or against part of the pistol, sort of like an exaggerated Weaver stance?

Last edited by AnthonyG; 01/07/2018 12:40 AM.
Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: curioushooter] #188427 01/07/2018 12:58 AM
dogsbreath Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hi T,
I used to post here, but since my politics did not line up on every point, I was told I was not welcome.

I've an Encore. I shoot it with a Weaver hold. I put my left trigger (I'm a righty, at least for shooting) over that painful trigger guard protrusion. That is the only modification I do. I'd love it if I could get the deer to come out in front of my shooting bench, but, alas, they demure. If long range is your goal, go with the long gun. I use my contender for ranges that my revolvers don't handle.

Hope this helps.

Dogsbreath

Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: curioushooter] #188433 01/07/2018 3:33 AM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
Anthony, in all seriousness just shoot it like any other handgun. 2 handed, Isosceles hold with your weak hand in front of the trigger guard. Use a monopod, a tree, or a tripod, bipod, etc. to assist when you can. Get a sling to help with offhand shooting. Practice and find out what works for you.

Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: billa] #188435 01/07/2018 5:07 AM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
Here are a few pics of my method of offhand shooting with a 2 point sling. The sling is attached at the base of the grip and the forend. This also works with the 2 point mount where the sling is attached to the rear of the scope mount instead of the forend or barrel.

http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9475

http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9473

http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9474

Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: billa] #188438 01/07/2018 2:02 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Another secret for shooting off the ground:
I always stop next to a tree for a potential rest when walking. Didn't always work well. Got the bright idea one day to screw in a bow holder in the tree just above eye level. I hang my backpack on this. Put the handgun on top and lean the gun/pack combo laterally in to the tree. This is an exceptionally stable hold. I've done deer out to 300 yds. on the edge of fields when the grass is to high to lay down.
The Bog Pod can be used this way, but it is just something else to carry. The bow holder is always in my pocket now.

Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: wvhitman] #188442 01/07/2018 5:00 PM
Steve in PA Offline
When hunting with a handgun, I almost always carry a Primos Trigger Stick. When sitting on stand, I'll use the stick to steady my aim.

But, for this shot I was without my stick, so I just held the T/C off-hand, left hand on foregrip, right hand on pistol grip. Think of holding a rifle, but without the stock in your should. This was an 80 yard off-hand shot without the use of support.

Last edited by Steve in PA; 01/07/2018 5:02 PM.
Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Steve in PA] #188464 01/08/2018 5:23 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
There is not one answer that will fit every field situation. The key is to become proficient using a number of methods. I've even grabbed a handful of broom straw with my off-hand while holding the forearm. A little pull on the grass and the gun steadied right up. Be creative, flexible and do it enough that you learn what techniques work best for you.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Gary] #188466 01/08/2018 7:56 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
AnthonyG, First of all, Welcome to HHM.

Secondly, you are getting some real good stuff here.

Another position that works well is using a Harris Bipod either from a support or lying prone on the ground. I devote a whole chapter to shooting positions in my handgun hunting video.

Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Gregg Richter] #188570 01/13/2018 11:16 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
From a variety of field positions the Contender is easily capable to as far as the cartridge you are shooting, is capable. Packs, over a fallen tree, Bog Gear, bi-pod.
Always seek a solid front and back rest of some kind, if possible.
Practicing in the off season from field positions is very important as well.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Ernie] #188577 01/14/2018 12:55 AM
curioushooter Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've been messing around with a variety of holds. What I am finding is interesting. To begin with, there are just a whole lot more ways one can hold a pistol like a Contender compared to a rifle or a normal pistol sans forend.

The second matter is that eye relief with scopes becomes a major issue. To me, I am thinking that irons or a red-dot is the way to go. Use Binocs for glassing.

Finally, I read up on the Snipe pod. Seems very interesting because it is so lightweight, supportive, and adjustable. Pricey, though.

I was wondering what people though of the telescoping mono-pods vs. bipods with a contender. I've never used either.

Thanks for all the great guidance.

Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: curioushooter] #188596 01/14/2018 6:22 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Bipods are steadier as you only have to control them forward and backwards as they are steady side to side, but a tad harder to carry. With a monopod you have to control it in all "four" directions but are a bit easier to carry. Both can be substituted for a walking stick in a pinch if folded and held correctly.

Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Gregg Richter] #188598 01/14/2018 12:58 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have used bi tri and monopods and have found a good walking sick to work for me.

Michael Joe Moore
Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: REDHAWK1954] #188607 01/14/2018 6:10 PM
Seminole Wind Offline
addict
addict
For me, most field positions are easier to use since I put muzzlebrakes on my 309 JDJ Contenders. There is less muzzle flip to distract from a steady hold and smooth squeeze.

Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Seminole Wind] #188620 01/14/2018 9:40 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: Seminole Wind
For me, most field positions are easier to use since I put muzzlebrakes on my 309 JDJ Contenders. There is less muzzle flip to distract from a steady hold and smooth squeeze.

A good brake lets you get into more odd positions and or lighter holds without fear of getting smacked.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Ernie] #188621 01/14/2018 9:47 PM
curioushooter Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I am not too worried about recoil or anything. I've found that my 14" Super 357 Herrett barrel is very mild shooting. I've been shooting 158 grainers over 21 grains of Win296 for about 1800 FPS over my Chrony.

Perhaps things will get ugly if I decide to put some maxed out 200 grainers downrange, but so far it has been nothing compared to my old Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Magnum which I sold because it kicked so brutally.

Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: curioushooter] #188636 01/15/2018 1:24 PM
OFFSHORE Offline
 Originally Posted By: curioushooter
I've been messing around with a variety of holds. What I am finding is interesting. To begin with, there are just a whole lot more ways one can hold a pistol like a Contender compared to a rifle or a normal pistol sans forend.

The second matter is that eye relief with scopes becomes a major issue. To me, I am thinking that irons or a red-dot is the way to go. Use Binocs for glassing.

Finally, I read up on the Snipe pod. Seems very interesting because it is so lightweight, supportive, and adjustable. Pricey, though.

I was wondering what people though of the telescoping mono-pods vs. bipods with a contender. I've never used either.

Thanks for all the great guidance.

Practice Practice Practice! You are right about the many different ways you can hold/shoot the O`le T/C and there has been plenty of good advice shared to you. You just have to find what works best for you in your shooting situation. I agree with you on the eye relief and traditional scopes. . .it can be a pain in hunting situations, that is why I switched over to a reflex hologram type sight. I only hunt and plink with my handguns, so this works good for me and my style.

Last edited by OFFSHORE; 01/15/2018 1:26 PM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod