Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Going to go it alone I guess #188534 01/12/2018 9:41 PM
Andyhunter Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi, I used to hunt with a guy who has now decided that he does not want to hunt anymore, so I am going to try to go it alone this fall. I figured that I would try a semi-guided/drop camp outfitter in Colorado or New Mexico. I was wondering if anyone has every been a camp by themselves, sharing the rest of the camp with another group of hunters? Most of the places that I have been looking into have camps for 4-5 hunters. I would love to find another hunter who might want to go out with me, but if not I guess I should find a camp with a cook, so I won't have to deal with sharing the chores with guys i don't know.

Finally, if anyone has a recommendation on an outfitter, please let me know!

thanks,

Andy

Re: Going to go it alone I guess [Re: Andyhunter] #188535 01/12/2018 10:45 PM
dave thomas Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Andy,I have hunted alone most of my adult life, the big thing to remember no matter where you go or what you hunt is that you have to have the skills to survive if something happens that put you in a bad situation. having the right gear and skills will keep you alive. As for the hunting part, you get all of the shot opportunities, all of the work and all of the solitude of a solo camp. As for a group camp they are great if the right guys are in camp. one bad one and they seem to spoil the hunt for everyone. I think we could all tell stories of that one guy. anyway--- where you going and what are you hunting?

Ephesians 6:10-18 because we are warriors.
Re: Going to go it alone I guess [Re: dave thomas] #188537 01/13/2018 12:00 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Almost from the beginning I`ve hunted alone and shared camps with guys from all over. When you hunt with a group of guys you don`t know you will always meet one or two you can relate to and because of that I`ve made some lifelong friendships... This includes Alaska, the western US and South Africa.. In the last 8 years or so I`ve attended some group hunts with members of this forum that are so darn enjoyable and hopefully we can do another in early 2019...Let me finish by saying that once you start seeing the animals that you are hunting, all will be forgotten except the thrill of the hunt.....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Going to go it alone I guess [Re: jamesfromjersey] #188539 01/13/2018 12:45 AM
Andyhunter Offline OP
OP Offline
I have been hunting for 25 years and can handle most anything. The guy that I used to hunt with I met in northern Michigan during a snow storm in the middle of the woods and have hunted together for 20 years. I guess I only concerned with the type of guys I get stuck with in camp... I'll be applying in New Mexico again, but if I don't draw there, I'll be hunting in Colorado for Elk. Can't wait!

Re: Going to go it alone I guess [Re: Andyhunter] #188540 01/13/2018 12:49 AM
Andyhunter Offline OP
OP Offline
If anyone might be interested in going out west, let me know and maybe we can work something out? I'm looking to spend about $1800 for the semi-guided/drop camp... driving from Chicago.

Re: Going to go it alone I guess [Re: Andyhunter] #188548 01/13/2018 7:00 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I've pretty much always hunted alone. Some of my favorite memories are backpack/bivy hunting wilderness areas in Colorado. There's nothing like spending 1-2 weeks around 9,000 to 12,000 feet elevation and not seeing or speaking with another person the entire time. You hunt where you want to hunt and fail or succeed by your own decisions. My knees don't allow me to hunt at that level anymore but I still enjoy hunting alone.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Going to go it alone I guess [Re: pab1] #188550 01/13/2018 9:30 AM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
Andy,
I'm looking for almost the exact same thing as you. I had already resided to the fact that if I was going to hunt out west, it would be solo. Seems most of my local hunting buddies love the idea of going, until it's time to tell their wives/etc.

However, a guy I share a deer lease with says he wants to put in for a Mule Deer draw with me. Right now our plan is to put in for Colorado, and most likely we won't draw. But, it does allow us to start building preference points.

So, if we don't draw, and you don't draw New Mexico, I'd be very interested in a Colorado Elk hunt.

A few things to consider with me...
I originally wanted to do a complete DIY hunt on public land. I'm not opposed to a semi-guided, just have heard a lot of horror stories about this approach.

Also, I'm a fit dude, but have only hunted elk twice in my life. Killed a cow on the second hunt. So, I'm confident in my physical abilities, but you wouldn't be getting a seasoned elk hunter with me.

Lastly, I'm from Texas and you're from Chicago. There could be a language barrier. Hehe...

Randy

Last edited by Randy M; 01/15/2018 1:17 PM.

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: Going to go it alone I guess [Re: Randy M] #188556 01/13/2018 5:09 PM
wyote Offline
addict
addict
I've hunted (and camped) alone for many years. I prefer to hunt that way, if I go with other folks I'm generally just going along for the ride.

Like Pab1 said spending a week or two alone can be a real experience. My back and legs are bad now so thats a thing of the past for me.

Elk hunting alone is a BIG project!!! The hunting is the norm but once you get an elk down............!!!!!!! Antelope and deer is a fun hunt.

I don't hunt and camp around here any more because of the grizzlies. When I was younger I went alone in the mtns but as I got older it wore on my nerve's too much.

Re: Going to go it alone I guess [Re: wyote] #188557 01/13/2018 5:23 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
When I hunt it is almost always alone, especially when coyote hunting. Of course I am not talking about when I am guiding hunters.

Colorado has plenty of "over the counter" elk tags available for public land. If you study the statistics online

Colorado Big Game Hunting Statistics

you can get an idea of success rates for each different Game Management Unit.

All mule deer and antelope tags are by drawing only, and I am not aware of any units where you non-residents will draw either one without preference points.

If you are unsure of what GMU to apply for at first there is a code to apply for a preference point only, so if you want to hunt muleys in Colorado start applying this year. The application process should be starting shortly, and the deadline is in April. Mark your calendar lest you forget. You can apply online (of course.)

Unfortunately Colorado will charge you to apply for either a tag or PP if you did not draw a tag the prior year for that species.

Re: Going to go it alone I guess [Re: Gregg Richter] #188629 01/15/2018 3:21 AM
EricS Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
My wife asks how I hang out in camp with people I don?t know. Basically everyone in camp shared a passion or they wouldn?t be there. If I do another elk hunt alone I will stay away from 12000 foot elevations and will camp at or near the vehicle every night vs packing in a spike camp. I like Colorado but their first rifle season for elk doesn?t work well with my vacation. Basically I get off on Friday afternoon and have nine days door to door to get it done. Colorado?s first rifle goes from Saturday to Wednesday. My next elk tag will be in Wyoming and the tag will allow me to hunt archery and a month of rifle season. I don?t get much vacation time but If I drew a great unit it would be nice to know I can extend a trip should I feel like I could seal the deal with a few more days.

Re: Going to go it alone I guess [Re: EricS] #188634 01/15/2018 12:56 PM
OFFSHORE Offline
This has been an interesting read for me. I relate to a lot of you guys and find hunting solo to be very rewarding. I too, had a hunting partner for a number of years. . .he ended up getting married, having kids, getting divorced and now works two jobs just to make ends meet! So hunting is a once in a blue moon thing for him. I sure do miss the cross county trips and comradery we shared. . .good times

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 48 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod