Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Buddy's first Handgun deer! #11566 12/03/2005 8:15 PM
JDJHNTR Offline OP
OP Offline
Well guys.......this is about a week late as you can see from the date on the picture, but I had to post this as it was my best buddy and hunting partners first "handgun kill"!

Me and ol' "gtcontender" was hunting on our property last weekend and had a pretty uneventful morning hunt and around noon the temps had climbed up into the 60's. Niether one of us were feeling like putting in much effort for the afternoon hunt with it being so warm, so I suggested we both go sit in our shooting house for the last hour and a half of the evening. I figured atleast we could partake in one of our favorite past times.........."talking about guns and hunting" and if something came out for a shot it would be OK too.
Well.......before we left for the stand, I suggested we flip a coin to determine who would shoot out what side of the house (in the unlikely event that something actually did show itself is that heat wave). But........the coin was tossed and I would take the back of the house and south end and "gt" would take the front and north end. After sitting there for about an hour and talikg about every handgun we could imagine, I decided that if a doe came out in any direction that I would let him try to connect on his first "HG" deer. (mighty sporting of me! Don't you think!)

Anyway.......as luck would have it, sure enough the first deer to show itself was this doe, And YES it was in my side of the house . I told "GT" to leave his chair and walk on his knees to my end of the house. He would have to lay the forearm of the SSK biult "Tender" .309JDJ on the bottom edge of the window opening and prop the grip end the best as he could. All the while this moving into position and crawling to my end of the house was going on, this deer is comig closer and closer and CLOSER . I had my fingers in both ears as this .309JDJ was ported and the short barrel was not sticking too far out of that window .

At this point, I'm trying to talk him through the shot (you know.....sqeeze, sqeeze, sqeeze) wait for the broadside shot, but this doe is walking straight in and boy............is she getting close! The close part is probably the part he'd rather I not dwell on too much

Anywho.......I'm at the point in all this that my ears are starting to get a little soar from pushing my fingers in them for what seemed like forever! I finally start laughing because the deer is soooooo close and all I can say is "If you gonna do it, you better do now before she's in here with us"!

I try and hold my composure and say " put it right in the shoulder where it meets the neck". Finally........BOOM! I saw fire light up the inside of the shooting house and I was kinda blinded for a second! I recovered just in time to see the doe rare back on her hind legs and fall back Dead. And I mean DEAD!!!!!!!!!

Well................I don't know who was happier, me or him? I was proud for him and glad I was there to share his fist "HG" kill. I would'nt have missed it for anything!

So.....you guys give a big congrates to "gtcontender", better known as "Todd" to friends and family. I already did the hi fives and hand shacks the day of the deed, but would like to send out a public Congrates to my ol' hunting Buddy!!!!!!!!!

Best,
Randy HHI#8049
Re: Buddy's first Handgun deer! [Re: JDJHNTR] #11567 12/03/2005 8:23 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
EXCELLENT!! and CONGRATS!!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Buddy's first Handgun deer! [Re: JDJHNTR] #11568 12/03/2005 8:35 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
maybe that doe WAS just trying to come up there with you guys for a spell and talk handguns with ya .congratulations and here's to hoping he gets many more.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Buddy's first Handgun deer! [Re: JDJHNTR] #11569 12/04/2005 11:14 AM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
Tell your buddies congrats on the deer. And congrats on converting another to handgun hunting.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: Buddy's first Handgun deer! [Re: magman] #11570 12/04/2005 3:41 PM
Bama Offline
Most awsome, tell your friend congrats. I bet he's hooked for life now

If I was Better I'd be twins Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005
Re: Buddy's first Handgun deer! [Re: JDJHNTR] #11571 12/05/2005 5:52 PM
JeffD Offline
That's awesome...good job!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod