Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shooting Sticks #189404 02/05/2018 2:40 PM
bscott Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Now that the long offseason is here once again. Its time to tackle some projects for the upcoming season. At one time there was someone here making shooting sticks. I could be wrong so please excuse me if i am. But if this person reads this thread please speak up - i would like to purchase a set. I am planning on doing some hunting off the ground this season coming. So i want to start practicing and getting comfortable.

"THEY FALL LIKE DEAD WEIGHT!"

Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: bscott] #189713 02/13/2018 5:03 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I've made some out of bamboo and also have seen them made from dowel rods. With that said I prefer the store bought variety because they are more versatile in general. If I'm traveling light and expect to be able to sit down to shoot then a set of stony point steady stix fit the bill and they are small and light enough that they are always with me. I also have a bog pod tripod that will allow me to sit shooting or standing. I have some camo netting attached to the bog pod and in a pinch it provides a little breakup cover to sit behind.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: Gary] #189715 02/13/2018 2:35 PM
longhunter Offline
addict
addict
The ones on the left I made from 5/8 hardwood dowls and buffalo leather, for my big bore buffalo rifles. The ones on the right I made from 3/8 fiberglass rods, 3/8 rubber gas line and rubber castration bands, all from the local farm store. But I use the bungee corded collapsible style for handguns, they are just more versatile.

"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath,But when I do so do the neighbors"
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: longhunter] #189720 02/13/2018 10:33 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
The Bog POD with PSR rest is the best, but the rest is not made any more. Look on sites for it.
Stoney Points are next, but in the tripod and not bipod. With the bipod your shooting arm has nothing to rest on so your elbow and forearm are flapping in the breeze.
With the tripod you can get a "short arm extension" that fastens to one leg of the tripod. I rest my mid forearm of my gun hand on it that makes that arm pretty steady (enough for 200-250 yd. shots).

Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: wvhitman] #189721 02/13/2018 11:20 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
DOC (THE WVHITMAN) IS CORRECT, FOR HANDGUNS TRIPODS ARE PREFERRED OVER BIPODS, AND I ONLY TRY TO USE 3 LEGGED SHOOTING STICKS.

THERE WAS A TOPIC LAST YEAR THAT REALLY GOT INTO SHOOTING STICKS.

EXCEPT FOR THE BEST OF SHOTS (AND AT CLOSER RANGES), IF YOU ARE A HANDGUN HUNTER A GOOD REST IS SOMETHING YOU GOTTA HAVE!!!!!

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: 45MAN] #189728 02/14/2018 1:36 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
If I can get into a sitting position I'll take the bi-pod over the tripod every time because they are quicker to get set to the right height and your arms don't flap in the breeze if you use them properly.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: Gary] #189739 02/14/2018 6:47 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
When I`am sitting I stick the short bi-pod in front...rest my gun hands on my knees...and rest the barrel in the cross sticks........
Rock steady...PS Gary is correct
;\)

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: jamesfromjersey] #189744 02/14/2018 10:59 PM
spinsail Offline
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
When I`am sitting I stick the short bi-pod in front...rest my gun hands on my knees...and rest the barrel in the cross sticks........
;\)

James, when you do that, do you use the sand bag on your knees like I saw in your video?

Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: jamesfromjersey] #189761 02/15/2018 4:24 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
;\)

And this technique is demonstrated with shooting sticks (that can also serve as a pretty fair walking stick) in my video: "Handgunning Mule Deer and Pronghorn Antelope."

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod