Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
EXO backpack opinion? #189717 02/13/2018 9:40 PM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I've been using an Alaskan I (Cabelas)!external frame pack for years. It's made multiple trips to Colorado, Alaska, Wyoming, and New Mexico and has severed me well. But I think it's time for an upgrade as I plan for a possible Elk hunt this fall.

The EXO packs really stand out to me in their design and features but mercy they are pricey. I've got my eye on the new K2 3500 which would actually cost more than the TC Encore I just bought. But considering I keep and use this type of gear forever (22 years on the Alaskan), I'm willing to fork over the money if it's worth it.

I did a search and found nothing on this site. So, does anyone have experience with this brand?

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: EXO backpack opinion? [Re: Randy M] #189719 02/13/2018 10:05 PM
Muddy Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
If you haven't already, check out http://www.rokslide.com
You will find lots of pack information, reviews, opinions, etc. I went through the search process last year for a new pack and it can become mind boggling. I didn't see anything but good comments on EXO but I went with a Kifaru. So far I have no complaints. Yes a good pack is pricey but when hauling heavy gear or meat in the mountains the price is forgotten but the quality in design and materials stands out.

Good luck in your search.

Dan

Re: EXO backpack opinion? [Re: Muddy] #189725 02/14/2018 12:17 AM
big spruce Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: Muddy
If you haven't already, check out http://www.rokslide.com
You will find lots of pack information, reviews, opinions, etc. I went through the search process last year for a new pack and it can become mind boggling. I didn't see anything but good comments on EXO but I went with a Kifaru. So far I have no complaints. Yes a good pack is pricey but when hauling heavy gear or meat in the mountains the price is forgotten but the quality in design and materials stands out.

Good luck in your search.

Dan

Yup Dido on rokslide. They have several pack in the classified section as well.

I'm personally running a horn hunter full curl modified with a kifaru duplex belt and a few choice accessories from kifaru.

I like my set up a lot comes in right at 5 lbs

Good luck in your search I hear exo makes some good stuff.

Cheers

Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner
Re: EXO backpack opinion? [Re: big spruce] #189763 02/15/2018 5:01 PM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks fellas. After a lot of reading, I'm pretty set on the EXO now. But I'm now leaning towards the 5500 vs. 3500. It's only a few ounces heavier and gives me the flexibility of increased gear/nights out.

Re: EXO backpack opinion? [Re: Randy M] #189768 02/15/2018 9:25 PM
Muddy Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Good choice on the larger pack I think. In my opinion better to have space not needed than it is to not have room for needed gear.

Dan

Re: EXO backpack opinion? [Re: Muddy] #189868 02/21/2018 2:57 PM
RandyB Offline
stranger
stranger
I've been carrying a Kifaru original Longhunter 5500 ci bag for many years. 2 years ago I upgraded the Duplex frame to the new Ultralight Hunter frame and so far have loved the weight savings and the same heavy load capacity of the system.

I would definitely try to get the pack in my hands first and then put 80-100 pounds in it and see how it feels and carries. I tried a pack from a well-known maker a couple years back at the SCI convention. I knew the fellow working the show and I know their company builds quality gear. With no weight the pack felt like putting on a shirt, very comfy. I then asked for 100 pounds of sand bags. With weight, the pack felt like a I had cinder block in my lower back...no go. It may sound extreme, but when you are 8-10 miles in the wilderness and have a bear or elk down and your option is 1 trip out, how that pack carries is very critical.
I realize not everyone is carrying those loads, but try it before you buy to see how it handles the weight. No pack is fun when north of 100 pounds. But, I can attest to the fact the Kifaru system will allow you to survive the ordeal:)

Re: EXO backpack opinion? [Re: RandyB] #189871 02/21/2018 11:41 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Check the Seek Outside packs also. Good stuff for sure. Right there with Kifaru and Mystery Ranch.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: EXO backpack opinion? [Re: Raptortrapper] #189875 02/22/2018 1:02 AM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Great advice fellas. Thank you.

Re: EXO backpack opinion? [Re: Randy M] #190092 03/01/2018 6:25 PM
adktripper Offline
stranger
stranger
I'm in the market for a pack as well, I was considering one of these and attaching my alice pack.

https://bullpacs.com/

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 55 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod