Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Load Testing #190170 03/06/2018 7:04 AM
bscott Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
This summer I plan to do some load testing for Bullet expansion vs. Velocity. I am trying to muster up some telephone books (wet them). At what distance do you all normally place them at? 25 yds or 50 yds?

"THEY FALL LIKE DEAD WEIGHT!"

Re: Load Testing [Re: bscott] #190173 03/06/2018 12:37 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
OTHER THAN SOME UP CLOSE PENETRATION TESTING AT A LINEBAUGH SHOOT, I HAVE NOT DONE SUCH TESTING, BUT, IF I WERE TOO I WOULD DO SOME UP CLOSE (A FEW FEET AWAY) AND THEN MAYBE SOME AT A LONGER DISTANCE, e.g. 50 - 100 YARDS. IN A RECENT POST JDK HAD A REFERENCE TO A bullet testing LINK THAT YOU MIGHT FIND INTERESTING.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Load Testing [Re: 45MAN] #190176 03/06/2018 4:43 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Wet paper is not a very reliable way to test expansion and phone books are too dense. You're better off using newspaper and make sure they are soaked through and through.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Load Testing [Re: bscott] #190179 03/06/2018 10:26 PM
Mech 8 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Revolver & semi-auto cartridges I usually test at 50 yards because that is the approximate distance I would feel comfortable shooting a revolver or semi-auto at a game animal. Rifle type cartridges I will usually test at 100 yards. These would include the straight wall type cartridges like a 444 Marlin.

Re: Load Testing [Re: Mech 8] #190181 03/06/2018 11:02 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
I do my bullet testing on the 2000+ whitetails I've taken. I shoot them end to end, then broadside. If the bullet looks good on the end to end, then I see what it does on broadside.
If the broadside doesn't exit a whitetail, then I use it mainly on groundhogs (like XTPs- I have many recovered on our small whitetails).
If the broadside penetrates, then I go to 300+ yd. shots. If that stays in a deer I won't use it on large animals, but is OK on deer size animals in US or Africa.
By this criteria, I've settled on the regular (not LR) Nosler AB for most animals.The only ones I've recovered were from AK and Shiras moose.
In revolvers the best bullets (performance wise) have been Xs , Swifts and hard leads.
Really big stuff (elephant, hippo, rhino, buff) doesn't apply to the above, but I use the intended bullet on groundhogs and deer for accuracy testing.
This "method of madness" has never let me down in all my hunts.

Re: Load Testing [Re: wvhitman] #190192 03/07/2018 1:14 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
DOC KNOWS!

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Load Testing [Re: wvhitman] #190208 03/08/2018 12:37 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: wvhitman
I do my bullet testing on the 2000+ whitetails I've taken. I shoot them end to end, then broadside. If the bullet looks good on the end to end, then I see what it does on broadside.
If the broadside doesn't exit a whitetail, then I use it mainly on groundhogs (like XTPs- I have many recovered on our small whitetails).
If the broadside penetrates, then I go to 300+ yd. shots. If that stays in a deer I won't use it on large animals, but is OK on deer size animals in US or Africa.
By this criteria, I've settled on the regular (not LR) Nosler AB for most animals.The only ones I've recovered were from AK and Shiras moose.
In revolvers the best bullets (performance wise) have been Xs , Swifts and hard leads.
Really big stuff (elephant, hippo, rhino, buff) doesn't apply to the above, but I use the intended bullet on groundhogs and deer for accuracy testing.
This "method of madness" has never let me down in all my hunts.

this is as good as it gets.... no "pussy footing" around....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Load Testing [Re: jamesfromjersey] #190210 03/08/2018 1:11 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
There's one thing that is a guarantee and that is if Doc says that a bullet and gun combo works.....it does! He's not in it to sell bullets for his backers/sponsors or guns or scopes to push false agendas. He simply tells it like it is. I know this from years and years of his bullet testing. Any time I use the bullets that Doc uses, I get similar results. That is far different from certain philosophies that preached falsehoods about guns and bullets just to sell them...they were easy to disprove by actually doing my own testing. Doc is a man of Vast handgun hunting experience and integrity, if he says it, you can be certain, it's the truth

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Load Testing [Re: Franchise] #190230 03/08/2018 9:48 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
So who?s selling what on here? I think alot of bullet myths have been dispelled and only remain for ideologues. Barnes swift and monometals are tops and i dont need monometals till its bigger than cape buff. I think what works has been pretty well sorted out. I test on 1500lb+ animals and deer. If it makes a large would channel on a deer and holds together thru a waterbuff or like animals shoulder and penetrates to the offside hide its a great bullet. Very few make the grade.

Re: Load Testing [Re: tradmark] #190232 03/08/2018 11:12 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I know that Doc would never try to say/sell a Dan Wesson semi auto 10mm was a 1 shot Cape Buffalo gun. Seems like Razor is trying to sell a lot of something. Hopefully no one on here has never done that, but never said HERE either...just know that BS like that is rampant...always has been

Re: Load Testing [Re: Franchise] #190234 03/09/2018 12:15 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Aaah gotcha. Yeah i think razor made a big mistake not being upfront about how many shots cuz the episode gave the impression it was one shot, not sure if dobbs claimed it, bit like we have talked about, there are many bullets holes on that cape buff to be seen. Ive been away from paying much attention here for this flu season amd was wondering if i missed something. I know gary and max have both published articles on certain bullet loads and have refused to change articles to say things worked well that didnt even if it meant not publishing it. That integrity is rare in the industry. I was at a friends ranch and one of the industries best known writers were there wringing out a new rifle and new cartridge about 10 years back. He couldnt get the rifle to feed and the group sizes at a hundred were bigger than a paper plate. He cussed that combo all over that ranch. Then his article came out and quite the opposite. My friend asked him wtf? The reply was that honesty doesnt pay the bills. Never read anything by that guy or read his books again!

Re: Load Testing [Re: tradmark] #190236 03/09/2018 3:06 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Cape buffalo with one shot from a 10mm shooting a 200 grain bullet does go to the farthest reaches of believability.....but a good way to sell DW semi autos to the public.... Elgin Gates carried the wrong handgun....

Life member-NRA-SCI
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Load Testing [Re: jamesfromjersey] #190240 03/09/2018 2:29 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Not to re-litigate this hunt, but I can't see anywhere that he claimed one-shot kills on either of the two Cape buffalo he took with his 10mm.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Load Testing [Re: Whitworth] #190245 03/09/2018 7:45 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I wanted to look at Razor`s buff/10mm video but can`t find it on his you tube page... Link??

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Load Testing [Re: jamesfromjersey] #190246 03/09/2018 8:15 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If I remember correctly the title of his video was "One Shot Buffalo"... However I cannot prove that because I can`t locate his 10mm/Cape buff video.....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Load Testing [Re: jamesfromjersey] #190247 03/09/2018 8:44 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Thinking back to what I saw and remembering all the Razor videos I`ve watched and the amount of impact shots that were shown and yet when one of the greatest handgun hunting kills of modern times
(Cape buff with 10mm) the camera was off except for the one shot...
...I think you guys know where I`am going with this..PS heard rumor that Razor`s PH said multiple clips of 10mm were needed to down the Cape Buff...Also, on Double Taps web site it states that
three (3) Cape buff were taken with this load buy one individual..
What is the story???

Last edited by jamesfromjersey; 03/09/2018 8:53 PM.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Load Testing [Re: jamesfromjersey] #190248 03/09/2018 9:13 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I too can remember watching the YouTube video of his Cape Buffalo with his 10mm. Now, I can't find it...I can find one with his 9.3mm rifle and his bow, but unfortunately not his 10mm. Luckily, The Outdoor channel broadcast that hunt. It shows the stalk, it shows 1 shot, it shows him run off, then it shows the recovery. Razor makes sure to roll the Buff over to show the surgical precision in which he placed the heart shot.....and even though this buff had been cleaned up rather dramatically you could still see the multitude of bullet holes in the Buff...keep in mind that there was NO blood coming from the mouth or nose of the Buff and none either from any of the multiple bullet holes....if it sounds too good to be true, if it looks to good to be true, it's probably a little too good to be true......on Razors own page he states that he only shot it twice 6" apart through the heart......gotta love video editing.....unfortunately, a lot of consumers took his "marketing propaganda" for honesty......a 200 gr 40 caliber bullet is short in length and light in weight, not exactly dangerous game material, but, that's just how I feel about it. That bullet combo is much better suited for deer and boar.

Re: Load Testing [Re: Franchise] #190249 03/09/2018 9:45 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
I use to work for a nationally syndicated hunting show and it pretty much turned me off of most shows. If you were to ever see a show go from raw footage to final product, you?d never believe anything you ever saw on a hunting show again. Countless stories I could tell. And unfortunately some of them involve me and hunts I was filmed on, including that huge pencil horned 8 in my album. That was killed with a handgun, but it aired as something completely different....

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: Load Testing [Re: Randy M] #190254 03/09/2018 11:41 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Randy M
I use to work for a nationally syndicated hunting show and it pretty much turned me off of most shows. If you were to ever see a show go from raw footage to final product, you?d never believe anything you ever saw on a hunting show again. Countless stories I could tell. And unfortunately some of them involve me and hunts I was filmed on, including that huge pencil horned 8 in my album. That was killed with a handgun, but it aired as something completely different....

can only imagine what you witnessed....Talking with a former fenced ranch owner I was told how some of the old gun writers would pose for different pictures with different guns but the same animal....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Load Testing [Re: jamesfromjersey] #190255 03/10/2018 12:38 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I have countless hunts filmed and wanna put videos together. Not professionally done but no bullshit, bad shots and all.

Re: Load Testing [Re: tradmark] #190257 03/10/2018 1:58 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
The beauty of editing , sometimes its not pretty when in the hunting world!

Re: Load Testing [Re: racksmasher1] #190259 03/10/2018 2:37 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
MY FIRST PH WAS AN AFRIKANER ON MY FIRST SAFARI IN 1988. THE OUTFITTER TOLD THE STORY ON HIM THAT ON A HUNT THERE WAS VIDEOGRAPHER ALONG TO FILM THE SAFARI. THE VIDEO GUY WAS HIPPIE LOOKING, WITH LONG HAIR. THE PH AND VIDEO GUY GOT TO SHARE A ROOM. THE VIDEO GUY TOOK OUT A SMALL BOTTLE OF CLEAR JELLY/GREASE (APPRARENTLY SOETHING USED ON LENSES) AND PUT IT ON THE NIGHT STAND BETWEEN THEM. THE PH, NOT TRUSTING THE HIPPIE, AND THINKING THE WORST, THOUGHT IT WAS FOR SEXUAL ACTIVITY, DIDN'T SLEEP ALL NIGHT AND KEPT A GUN HANDY.

Re: Load Testing [Re: 45MAN] #190261 03/10/2018 3:22 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Rey, that's about the funniest thing that I've ever read!!! HILARIOUS

Re: Load Testing [Re: 45MAN] #190262 03/10/2018 3:24 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN
MY FIRST PH WAS AN AFRIKANER ON MY FIRST SAFARI IN 1988. THE OUTFITTER TOLD THE STORY ON HIM THAT ON A HUNT THERE WAS VIDEOGRAPHER ALONG TO FILM THE SAFARI. THE VIDEO GUY WAS HIPPIE LOOKING, WITH LONG HAIR. THE PH AND VIDEO GUY GOT TO SHARE A ROOM. THE VIDEO GUY TOOK OUT A SMALL BOTTLE OF CLEAR JELLY/GREASE (APPRARENTLY SOETHING USED ON LENSES) AND PUT IT ON THE NIGHT STAND BETWEEN THEM. THE PH, NOT TRUSTING THE HIPPIE, AND THINKING THE WORST, THOUGHT IT WAS FOR SEXUAL ACTIVITY, DIDN'T SLEEP ALL NIGHT AND KEPT A GUN HANDY.

And what type of film were they making exactly? :-)

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Load Testing [Re: Whitworth] #190266 03/10/2018 9:18 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I've seen members here shoot animals a heck of a few times with bigger cartridges to kill them.

Why are we bitching that some long haired goober shot a buff several times with his 10mm?

Just curious.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Load Testing [Re: Zee] #190268 03/10/2018 11:39 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Simply put, it's because actions like his give handgun hunting a bad name and reputation. So many people take actions like his for face value. Unfortunately, a lot of people now think a 10mm is a much more capable gun...handgun hunting has already been outlawed in other countries

Re: Load Testing [Re: Franchise] #190269 03/10/2018 11:42 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
due to politics I'm sure, but also due to foolish people shooting animals with gun and caliber combos that are absolutely insufficient. Razor only did that crap for money..I care to much about the sport of handgun hunting I guess

Re: Load Testing [Re: Franchise] #190270 03/10/2018 11:51 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
100 percent of what he did was a media stunt. To sell DW Semi Auto 10mm's loaded with Double Tap ammo as Dangerous Game worthy. Everyone who has been in this game long enough knows that it was a complete joke

Re: Load Testing [Re: Franchise] #190273 03/10/2018 2:44 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Oh, I know it was a stunt and think him a circus performer. Just because of his mannerisms and antics.

But, cartridge choice is a personal choice to most of us (when you?re not getting paid like him ).

If I ever decide to take on an elephant with a .38 Spl, I expect you to tell me it?s likely I?ll advised...............but then offer to hold my beer and watch.

Other than that, ain?t none of anyone?s damned business what I choose to use.

No?

Re: Load Testing [Re: Zee] #190274 03/10/2018 3:25 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
We live in a free country thank God, but rest assured that if you went after a Elephant with a 38 Special I'd would be laughing like crazy when it smashed you like a gnat and the locals ate your guts like dessert...LOL, but very few folks are that ignorant...LOL

Re: Load Testing [Re: Zee] #190275 03/10/2018 3:28 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Youre right and i think theres way way too much stock put in for a one shot kill. I pretty much dont have to shoot twice. I do on the big stuff bc im usually testing a bullet and im not sure whats gonna happen and the second is that its not good to let the animal languish any longer than necessary. I dont like something being billed as something its not but if it works and does a good job then i guess it works. I do like a larger sample size than two though. Btw whit, good point i went back and watched both episodes and it was never billed as one shot kill. Watching again im not sure why i got that impression. My bad.

Zee, not sure id use a 38 but ill buy the popcorn if u buy the elephant!

Re: Load Testing [Re: Zee] #190276 03/10/2018 4:10 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Zee
Oh,

If I ever decide to take on an elephant with a .38 Spl, I expect you to tell me it?s likely I?ll advised........

No?

I`am afraid caliber choice in Africa is other peoples business when hunting the Big Five because the hunting countries in Africa have agreed on .375 as minimum (read Keith`s book "Safari)..

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Load Testing [Re: Franchise] #190278 03/10/2018 4:43 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Franchise
We live in a free country thank God, but rest assured that if you went after a Elephant with a 38 Special I'd would be laughing like crazy when it smashed you like a gnat and the locals ate your guts like dessert...LOL, but very few folks are that ignorant...LOL

Make for a great YouTube, eh?

Ha!

Re: Load Testing [Re: jamesfromjersey] #190279 03/10/2018 4:44 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Oh,

If I ever decide to take on an elephant with a .38 Spl, I expect you to tell me it?s likely I?ll advised........

No?

I`am afraid caliber choice in Africa is other peoples business when hunting the Big Five because the hunting countries in Africa have agreed on .375 as minimum (read Keith`s book "Safari)..

I suspect you know what I meant.

Re: Load Testing [Re: Zee] #190280 03/10/2018 4:44 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
😂😂😂 that it would!

Re: Load Testing [Re: Franchise] #190281 03/10/2018 4:50 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I think its fun to experiment and i also think that itd be interesting if the african countries were to revisit the caliber minimums with some more modern bullets in the mix.

Re: Load Testing [Re: tradmark] #190282 03/10/2018 4:53 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
I think its fun to experiment and i also think that itd be interesting if the african countries were to revisit the caliber minimums with some more modern bullets in the mix.

Yup, and the minimums are largely based on minimum muzzle energy levels that our handguns don?t achieve anyhow. It?s all about the bullet.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Load Testing [Re: Whitworth] #190283 03/10/2018 5:22 PM
JDK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yep. Based on the .375 H&H with its historic loads of 270 gr. @ 2650 FPS and 300 gr. @ 2500 FPS, it's hard for handguns to match.

John

But for the grace of God, there, I go.
Re: Load Testing [Re: JDK] #190284 03/10/2018 5:36 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The large caliber laws of Africa were made for humane kills on African big game and not for the safety of hunters making a poor caliber choice... The PH does all the worrying...forgot to add LOL...

Last edited by jamesfromjersey; 03/10/2018 5:38 PM.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Load Testing [Re: Zee] #190285 03/10/2018 5:41 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
[quote=jamesfromjersey][quote=Zee]Oh,

I suspect you know what I meant.

Sorry Zee...must have missed it....
\:o

on second thought after a re-read..looks like everyone missed it

Last edited by jamesfromjersey; 03/10/2018 11:19 PM.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod