Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: MrMcPorkchop] #190702 03/20/2018 2:30 AM
JDK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks for sharing your hunt! I agree there is something special about that hartebeest, though all the trophies are magnificent.

John

But for the grace of God, there, I go.
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: jdhunt3] #190703 03/20/2018 2:37 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Thank you, sir. That means a lot to me and I truly appreciate it. I am now broke, but I am happy! [/quote]

JD: WAIT UNTIL THE TAXIDERMIST GETS HOLD OF YOU, THEN YOU WILL KNOW WHAT BROKE IS.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: 45MAN] #190705 03/20/2018 2:50 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
JD: OUTSTANDING BUFFALOS, WARTHOG, NYALA AND CHOBE BUSHBUCK! I HUNTED THAT AREA OF MOZAMBIQUE IN 2001, NOT LONG AFTER THEIR CIVIL WAR ENDED, AND THE GAME HERDS WERE JUST STARTING TO COME BACK. IT WAS QUITE AN ADVENTURE, EVEN DID A 2 NIGHT SPIKE CAMP ON THE EDGE OF THE SWAMP WHILE WE WERE AFTER HIPPO, AND THE MOSQUITOS WERE THERE BY THE GILLIONS! DID YOU SHOOT THE BUUFS ON THE GRASSY WET PLAINS OR ON ONE OF THE ISLANDS?

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: tradmark] #190708 03/20/2018 3:20 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
 Originally Posted By: Zee
 Originally Posted By: Franchise
😂😂😂😂 I never said anyone did, but why does that really matter to you? I don't take any paid sponsors recommendations for the truth....guns, cars, toothpaste, or a million other things. I've always felt this way about a lot of things. It's kinda funny when I post something 😂😂😂 it's WHAT? WHO ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? 😂😂😂 I guess unless you're sponsored by a gun or bullet company 😉 It's not you 😉😬 if I was paid by a gun or bullet company, I couldn't expect anyone to truthfully believe my results...it would be like biting the hand that fed me

I love you!!!!!

My general opinion of the advertising and gun writing industry.

I have seen blatant cases of absolute bs throughout the whole industry. The exception i feel is the handgun writers. Some are more knowledgeable but guys like taffin, hampton, prasac, bruce towsley, and a couple others i dont see writing bs. I might not always agree but its not selling out and selling bs. This does not mean the rest of the industry isnt rife with it. I saw one of the most egregious cases unfold before my very eyes twice!!! I cant stand the ?i only trust myself to knight rifles until im sponsored by tc? kinda crap

I accept only science (repeatable evidence on command) and tangible information (fact at hand) with a smattering of opinion for flavor.

All else is here say.

Tell me what happened. Show me what happened. Detail HOW it happened. If you can?t do that. You don?t care enough About the truth and I must assume you have ulterior motive. And what you say is nothing but invalidated (unprovable) here say. The other options are laziness or apathy.

I?ve seen your bovine bash ?autopsies? first hand. Inconclusive! You have someone else butcher your animal and you find the bullet on the off side. Having no clue in reality what exactly it passed through, hit, or damaged. You look simply at the bullet and the end result. Your after death distances (shooting a dead animal) and bullet recovery processes are undocumented and flawed.

That, to me, is inconclusive data that you failed to properly document for all to see. You post a pic of a bullet and nothing else. Which allows others who thirst for knowledge and question your results and your methods.

If you want to prove or disprove something, you have to leave no doubt as to your methods and results.

I say this not as an antagonist. But, as one who wants to help you along your path.

I trust neither YOU.......nor MAX...........because neither of you have provided the evidence to waiver otherwise.

I don?t care how many books or articles you?ve written. If you cannot prove with facts, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that which you are stating........in truth.......you are presenting here say. Opinion. Unsubstantiated evidence.

My job is facts. Just the facts. Opinion and here say have no relevance.

Tell me what happened. Show me what happens. Make me a believer.

If I have a gripe about this forum.........it?s too much ass kissing and back patting with not enough factual evidence. You guys suck the butt of those gone by or living today without saying...........what have you done for me lately!!! What can you prove?!!!!

I love this place for its ideology but detest it for its practice. A bunch of whiners that cry about not being treated fairly and yet present no scientific facts to catapult their case into the next generation.

Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it. This forum........as a whole......is living in the past. And therefore........doomed.

It will be interesting to see how this post is received. Either with distain and I will be banned. Or, with understanding and soul searching to progress into the future and spark a new generation. The ball is in your court. What will you do? Prove the tangible or wallow in the speculative?

It?s yours to win or lose.

I have a saying........I trust none but the dead. Because I know how they started and finished. If you are living. And fail to present the facts, I must therefore question your motives and results.

We are on the same team. Just fighting the good fight with different methods.

Truth or Dare?

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Zee] #190710 03/20/2018 3:47 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Mr. Hunt, congrats on an awesome handgun Safari. You took some beautiful trophies. Although I consider all handgun kills trophies, that nyala is a real eye-popper! Thanks for sharing you hunt and welcome to HHM!

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Zee] #190711 03/20/2018 3:51 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Well, i dont take anything any which way. It seems you let this sit inside of you for quite sometime. Remember. You showed up at the end on the last two animals taken. That said i do appreciate your point but it seems a bit late and u can and imho should have taken this on the side. U could contact me or max anytime. Theres much more in the way of photos and necropsy findings you werent present for. You got to miss us picking thru vitals and guts the first few days. U mustve missed the part examining max?s buffs heart and lungs. Mustve missed the hours spent digging and deboning craigs buffs shoulders. I dont think you should be banned but perhaps a separate thread. Maybe this year you can show up, shoot something and show everyone how its done. You were present for a very very short period of time, and quite frankly you may have forgotten the time spent by you and my cousin investigating the watusi shot with his 357 and the 45/70. The hunter on that animal is new to the sport and quite frankly just wanted a meat animal. If the hunter isnt intersted in digging it apart then im not either. My buff was shot with several points to prove and was an aside to taking everything apart the way you do in your beautiful necropsy photos. You cant test penetration and check wound channels. Each animal has a point. Some just compare 2 different rounds. This thread is probably not the place to get into this so ill quit. Start a new one and/or call me. Preferably both.

Mark

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Zee] #190712 03/20/2018 4:09 AM
cherokeetracker Offline
old hand
old hand
Well Hell, This is like trying to follow a Banjo act or a stripper in Vaudeville.

First off JDHunt3 You are an excellent hunter in my book and I liked all your trophies. Your guns are cool and that DW is way cool. One heck of a snag on the XP100.
Did you do your own smithing on the XP? or have it done? Either way it turned out great. I like accurate pistols no matter what brand or what kind.
I got a lot of respect for a man that pays his own way and one who admits to a bad shot. You have done both.

I am glad to have you on this forum and hope you will share more and hope that there are more hunts in your Future. I agree that the Mozambique one, was a hunt of a lifetime,, but maybe a quarry in the States here might appeal.

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: jamesfromjersey] #190713 03/20/2018 4:16 AM
ruger4570 Offline
addict
addict
jdhunt3,
Thanks for sharing pictures and stories of you hunt. Very impressive hunt and great guns. I really like your warthog, but all your trophies are impressive. Look forward to more posts in the future.

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: ruger4570] #190714 03/20/2018 4:35 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Hey guys...PLEASE keep this to JD`s hunt.....thanks

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: jamesfromjersey] #190716 03/20/2018 4:45 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
:thumbup:

My bad.

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Zee] #190720 03/20/2018 5:47 AM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
Rey, I was also there in 2001 but on the other side of the Limpopo River. My PH was an ex soldier & told us some funny stories.
Jay, I really have enjoyed going along on your hunt, you did a great job describing your shots, hits, misses, etc & I salute you buddy, you did well. What a great Safari!!!
Hand gun hunting is such a personal thing to each of us & sharing it the way you did was a real treat. It sure sounds like Africa is changing, if a guy wants to go he better start planning now.

Dick

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Zee] #190721 03/20/2018 6:15 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
👍

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: tradmark] #190722 03/20/2018 10:55 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
JD: A COUPLE OF MORE QUESTIONS:

1. THE 6.5/284 IS A HELLUVA ROUND, WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO REBARREL THE XP-100 TO 284 (YOUR IMPRESSIVE BALLISTICS MAY BE THE ANSWER, BUT I AM JUST WONDERING)?

2. WHAT WERE YOU USING FOR FIELD RESTS? THE 3 STICKS SHOOTING STICKS THEY HAND MAKE OVER THERE? OR DID YOU TAKE SOME WITH YOU? ALL OFF HAND? OR WHAT?

3. I MAY HAVE MISSED IT, BUT WHAT ARE THE SCOPES ON THE 454 AND THE XP-100?

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: 45MAN] #190737 03/20/2018 5:00 PM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
Rey, I agree the 6.5/284 is a dandy in a single shot & is one of the 3 handguns I took to Africa. I also used it to take a Pronghorn in Wyoming at 444 yds with Big John Tarbet shooting it with the range finder. The wind got me a little bit.
Superb on deer with 120 gr Ballistic Tips. Looks like he has a dandy muzzle brake on there also. I always made my own brakes with no holes on the bottom, didn't like dirt flying up in my face.

Dick

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: 45MAN] #190745 03/20/2018 11:32 PM
jdhunt3 Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN
JD: A COUPLE OF MORE QUESTIONS:

1. THE 6.5/284 IS A HELLUVA ROUND, WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO REBARREL THE XP-100 TO 284 (YOUR IMPRESSIVE BALLISTICS MAY BE THE ANSWER, BUT I AM JUST WONDERING)?

2. WHAT WERE YOU USING FOR FIELD RESTS? THE 3 STICKS SHOOTING STICKS THEY HAND MAKE OVER THERE? OR DID YOU TAKE SOME WITH YOU? ALL OFF HAND? OR WHAT?

3. I MAY HAVE MISSED IT, BUT WHAT ARE THE SCOPES ON THE 454 AND THE XP-100?

I wondered if someone would ask me why I rebarreled. There really isn?t a good reason other than I thought I bought a .284 Winchester and I always wanted one. The 6.5-284 Norma is a great round, but I love 7 mm bullets, I own lots of 7 mm rifles, and I already own a 6.5 JDJ Contender, so I decided to go with .284 Winchester. The muzzle brake works great, so there is very little recoil.

I tried using the tripod sticks with he XP-100 in 2014 when I was in South Africa the first time. It really didn?t give me the stability I was looking for and I knew I?d have to do a lot better this time. I bought a PSR rest and it worked great. I practiced a lot before this safari and I was very happy with the rest. I took the stupid handle off the bottom of the rest because I never once used it in the field when I was practicing.

The FA has a discontinued Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6x32 EER scope. This is my favorite pistol scope and I buy every used one I can find that seems to be in good shape. The XP-100 has a Nikon Force XR 2.5-8x28 scope on it. I don?t like it as much as the Bushnell, but the glass is very clear and I wanted more than 6X for the longer pistol.

Benefactor Member NRA; Member SCI; Director, Louisiana Chapter SCI; Master Measurer, SCI; Member HHI; Director, Louisiana Shooting Association, Inc.
?One can never miss too fast.?
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: jdhunt3] #190748 03/20/2018 11:39 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
This piques my interest in getting an XP-100 again. Thought about it long ago, but never did it. I'm finally getting into long range shooting with a 7mm rifle with some help from a gentleman from this forum. An XP-100 would be a fun addition once I get the rifle project completed!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Raptortrapper] #190751 03/20/2018 11:53 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Raptortrapper
This piques my interest in getting an XP-100 again. Thought about it long ago, but never did it. I'm finally getting into long range shooting with a 7mm rifle with some help from a gentleman from this forum. An XP-100 would be a fun addition once I get the rifle project completed!

Go with the .284 Win and you can use the same bullets as your 7 Mag.

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Zee] #190752 03/21/2018 12:00 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Why not go with 7mm in the XP-100 with a muzzle brake? I like having things do more than one job. If I can use the same cartridge in the XP as I use in the rifle, I'd like to do that. However, I know NOTHING about the 284, so I guess I've got some homework.

Sorry, guess this is off topic for this thread.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Raptortrapper] #190753 03/21/2018 12:02 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Full length cartridge in a short action. Won?t be able to extract a live round without removing the bolt. Maybe not even a spent case.

But hay, nothing says you can?t. As long as you know the size limitation of your action.

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Zee] #190754 03/21/2018 12:05 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
AH!!! And THAT would be a good reason to go with 284!!

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Raptortrapper] #190756 03/21/2018 1:26 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Love the 284 Winchester in the XP-100

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Ernie] #190761 03/21/2018 2:17 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
It's now officially on the list!

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Raptortrapper] #190769 03/21/2018 3:33 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Mine has a Holland Radial Baffle brake with 162 and recoils is not worthy of talking about.
I use a rifle scope on mine.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Ernie] #190771 03/21/2018 5:01 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Wow! Yup-- gotta get one. I'm sure we'll be talking....

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Ernie] #190784 03/21/2018 2:50 PM
jdhunt3 Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: Ernie
Mine has a Holland Radial Baffle brake with 162 and recoils is not worthy of talking about.
I use a rifle scope on mine.

Ernie, if I?m not mistaken, you use rifle scopes on most of your long pistols. Correct? I?m interested in trying this because, as you know, it can be a bear to find game in an EER scope when things are happening fast. Do you just creep up on the pistol with a rifle scope?

Benefactor Member NRA; Member SCI; Director, Louisiana Chapter SCI; Master Measurer, SCI; Member HHI; Director, Louisiana Shooting Association, Inc.
?One can never miss too fast.?
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: jdhunt3] #190785 03/21/2018 2:56 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Ernie-- what is that setup your XP is resting on beside the antegoat?

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Raptortrapper] #190787 03/21/2018 3:29 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Give me a call 307-257-7431 and I will answer your questions quicker and not take away form this thread.
I can talk faster than I can type
\:\)

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: jdhunt3] #190832 03/22/2018 3:40 AM
Dekker Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Sir... Congrats! on your successful handgun safari. You have some great trophies and memories.

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Dekker] #190845 03/22/2018 2:11 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Those are some fine trophies, Sir.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: s4s4u] #190855 03/22/2018 4:37 PM
Hendog Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Nice Trophy's. I use the same 454 Casull load in my Super Redhawk.

Re: Mozambique Pistol Safari After Action Report [Re: Hendog] #190889 03/23/2018 6:21 AM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wow, what a trip! Thanks for taking the time to post.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 52 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod