Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pick a load with me... #190887 03/23/2018 5:30 AM
Snyd Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So, help me out here gents. Here's my situation. This August I'll be heading out on Dall Sheep handgun hunt #3. Hopefully third time is a charm! Tough situation I know!
\:D

I've previously packed my 45 Colt BisHunter and last year worked up a Brian Pierce load with the RCBS 270-SAA clone I casted from a Mihec mould. 280gr, 1450ish fps. Point blank at 100yds. I got the hold over figured out to where I can drop em into the 9? pie plate at 153yds. Top of the rams back puts it where it needs to be. My last ram I killed was at 130yds with my rifle. I want to be able to have a 150yd load if conditions are right but want to be under 100.

I?ve also now acquired a 7.5" FA 454. I haven?t wrung it out yet but the weather is getting better so that will happen soon. I may, I say may take the FA on this hunt but I have a connection with my 45 BisHunter and really want to get a shot at a ram with it. A 45 Colt Ram just has a nice ring to it and it?d be cool to take one with my own cast boolit. And I love that gun. But, when I read about a 300gr Swift A-Frame or cast at 16-1700fps from the FA that gets my attention!

I need the ram to hit the dirt asap! One or 2 hops after a hit and they can be in no mans land and recovery can be, shall I say, rather interesting. Now sheep aren?t the only critters out here in the AK bush! I?ve seen lot?s of big brown fuzzies, I?ve not had an encounter yet sheep hunting but if I should, I need a load/boolit or bullet that will drive straight and deep. I?ll not be hunting griz but will shoot one in defense of life if need be. If so, I won?t have the luxury of shot placement.

I say all that to say I need a load that will drop the ram as quickly as possible, have a good trajectory out to 150yds AND be able to put the hurt on a griz in a DLP situation. I?ve thought about packing 2 loads, lightish and fast for sheep then load the gun with heavy (355gr wfn) and slower for busting the brush in griz country but this is backpack hunt. Things need to be simple. I need one dependable load.

What gun what load, what say ye??

Re: Pick a load with me... [Re: Snyd] #190891 03/23/2018 6:56 AM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
Snyd, I know you are an experienced hunter & have lived out of your backpack for many days on extended sheep hunts, I'm pretty sure you're going to knock this out of the park!
If it were me I'd go with the gun I felt most comfortable with & it sounds like you are pretty dialed in with that 45. My first 3 loads would be heavy loads for bear if needed & the last 2-3 would be my "sheep" load. You will have time to either open the loading gate & dial to your sheep load or probably cock the gun to your sheep load. I'm guessing you won't get more than 2-3 shots at a Ram.
Those first 3 heavy loads might come in handy if Sir Bruin taps you on the shoulder & wants to share your jerky. Good luck, I'm sure hoping you pop a good Ram.

Dick

Re: Pick a load with me... [Re: sixshot] #190892 03/23/2018 9:31 AM
dhom Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: sixshot
Snyd, I know you are an experienced hunter & have lived out of your backpack for many days on extended sheep hunts, I'm pretty sure you're going to knock this out of the park!
If it were me I'd go with the gun I felt most comfortable with & it sounds like you are pretty dialed in with that 45. My first 3 loads would be heavy loads for bear if needed & the last 2-3 would be my "sheep" load. You will have time to either open the loading gate & dial to your sheep load or probably cock the gun to your sheep load. I'm guessing you won't get more than 2-3 shots at a Ram.
Those first 3 heavy loads might come in handy if Sir Bruin taps you on the shoulder & wants to share your jerky. Good luck, I'm sure hoping you pop a good Ram.

Dick
My thoughts exactly!!!

Re: Pick a load with me... [Re: dhom] #190898 03/23/2018 1:21 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
.454 with 265 or 300 gr. AFrames. 150 yd. load. Works for both purposes.

Re: Pick a load with me... [Re: dhom] #190900 03/23/2018 1:34 PM
Coloradoyaler Offline
stranger
stranger
NOPE!

Slow down you old sourdough!

Your 454 will extend your range! A 300gr xtp at 1700fps will give you another 50 yards at the very least! And probably closer to 100yds! Every model 83 454 I have had, and that is four, have shot this bullet very well! I have not seen a Freedom Arms that would not shoot more accurately than most shooters. But I have seen you shoot. I believe you and your 454 will easily do 150yds accurately and probably further. I don't believe the 45 colt is up to that task. You have plenty time to ring out the 454. As an old sheep hunter you know more than anybody you sometimes just can't get closer. Don't handy cap yourself to 100yds or less! Time to make a bond with the Freedom Arms you stole!
\:\)
Just my most humble opinion of course!

Regards
Mark

Last edited by Coloradoyaler; 03/23/2018 2:19 PM.
Re: Pick a load with me... [Re: Coloradoyaler] #190913 03/23/2018 5:35 PM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
Snyd, didn't know you were stealing guns now....... at least you have good taste!

Dick

Re: Pick a load with me... [Re: sixshot] #190914 03/23/2018 6:05 PM
Coloradoyaler Offline
stranger
stranger
Sixshot

I kid him about that as he is one of the few people I have ever known to get a fantastic deal from Cabelas!

Regards
Mark

Re: Pick a load with me... [Re: Coloradoyaler] #190925 03/24/2018 1:33 AM
cherokeetracker Offline
old hand
old hand
Snyd I do not know what you did but I have never gotten a good deal from Cabelas... hahaaahaa

I remember you wanting to shoot a Dall sheep (with the 45 Bisley Hunter) and I do remember your description's of just how tough it is. I would like to see you get one with your 45 hunter. But that might not happen. I would pick up that 454 and get busy. As far as a load is concerned. Not in any particular order,,,
300gr XTP mag or
300 Aframe Swift
Me,,, I might still want some 335gr LNFP cast performance for the bears. Or even my 360gr cast
But I would be inclined to get that FA out and get tuned in on your loads. I would want to continue to place the odds in my corner. Even if that meant leaving the bisley hunter behind. And I wouldn't look back.
And GOOD Luck with this years Hunt. I hope you get one.

Re: Pick a load with me... [Re: cherokeetracker] #190928 03/24/2018 2:21 AM
Snyd Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Well, I didn't really steal the FA. I just got it for about half price

Ya, I think I need to let go of my BisHunter sentimentality and go for a maxed out 300gr load in the FA like it was designed for. I think my sheep hunting partner will be packing one of his FA's as well. No rifles on this hunt. We could call this the Freedom Hunt!

Re: Pick a load with me... [Re: Snyd] #190931 03/24/2018 3:15 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
One of the main reasons I buy Freedom Arms SA`s is because I`am not that good of a shot and need every advantage I can get in the field... FA`s handguns give me "consistently" the best accuracy (in all calibers) of all the handguns I own.... ALL my model 83`s shoot good.... That said.... The Freedom and a 260gr bullet..
PS- Looked in my files and found a 1989 article by Phil Johnston where he took a good Dall sheep at 120yds using his FA`s 454 w/2X Leupold and a 260gr JSP handload. There was a lot more then I just wrote but that was is weapon....Another article from 1988 by Larry Albach tells how he used his FA`s 454 w/Leupold scope and 300gr JFP factory ammo to take a Mtn. goat...Did not get the range but he held 12" high ,after a miss, to anchor his goat..... In 1990 Dwight Van Brunt used his 7 1/2" FA`s 454 w/2X Leupold and FA`s 260gr. JFP ammo to make a 60yd shot on a Montana Mtn. goat.... This last article came from a old issue of the Sixgunner (don`t know the year) where Bob Robertson used a open sight 44 Redhawk and a 240gr Sierra handload to take a BIG Dall after getting within 50 yards...Amazing....

Last edited by jamesfromjersey; 03/24/2018 3:45 AM.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Pick a load with me... [Re: jamesfromjersey] #190933 03/24/2018 4:01 AM
Snyd Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for that James.
Funny you mention Bob. Had him and his wife over for dinner last week. I've got a picture of him and that ram with that Redhawk. He and I will be sheep hunting together this year. He still likes his 44's, FA's and Redhawks. Then Sept hunt with coloradoyaler for moose.

Re: Pick a load with me... [Re: Snyd] #190934 03/24/2018 4:10 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Snyd

Funny you mention Bob. Had him and his wife over for dinner last week. I've got a picture of him and that ram with that Redhawk. He and I will be sheep hunting together this year. He still likes his 44's, FA's and Redhawks. Then Sept hunt with coloradoyaler for moose.

That`s wonderful.......
\:\)

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 42 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod