Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question For Jamesfrom jersey #191542 04/02/2018 12:57 PM
spinsail Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a question for our resident hog hunting expert. From reading your articles and threads it seems that you generally use a revolver for hogs, use some kind of optic and hunt from the ground rather than from a fixed stand. It also seems you get a number of shots at fairly close range. If my inferences are correct I would like to ask some question

1. What kind of optics do you use on your revolvers for hogs?
2. What power do you use?
3. What shooting position do you use when you can't use a sitting position?
4. Looks like you use FA but if you ever use a double action, do you ever shoot double action on a moving hog?
5. Do you consider a hog charge a very unlikely event?

I also have questions on your Gorilla hunt but that can wait for another time. Thanks.

Re: Question For Jamesfrom jersey [Re: spinsail] #191557 04/02/2018 4:28 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
spin.... The only thing I`am an expert at is getting in trouble.
anyway,,, here goes....
The scopes I use are Leupold, Burris and discontinued Redfield of which I have about five. They are all variable and I make sure the power is set at 2X or its lowest setting... If the boar is close it will take time you don`t have to lower the power but if its at distance you usually have a second to raise the power. What I found interesting is when I`ve made shots over 50 yards I found I`ve set the power to 5X from simply looking through the scope....
I use any position where I can use a rest....I`ve shot a few off hand with iron sights when they were UNDER 50 yards.......otherwise I carry a small leather sand bag that's only half filled so I can "mould" it around tree branch, stump or boulder so its between my gun and whatever I`am resting it on.... I`ve taken boar with my Redhawk, Dan Wesson and S&W revolvers but can`t ever remember shooting double action... My left hand thumb automatically cocks the hammer for a second shot... I believe I would throw the shot if I used double action as I never practiced at it.... Do I consider a hog charge a very unlikely event?? Yes...
It will take a PM to talk about the gorilla....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Question For Jamesfrom jersey [Re: jamesfromjersey] #191566 04/02/2018 6:46 PM
spinsail Offline OP
OP Offline
Awesome answer. Exactly what I needed to know.

(BTW, awesome gorilla mount as well)

Re: Question For Jamesfrom jersey [Re: spinsail] #191567 04/02/2018 6:55 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 89 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod