Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
influences that we share, two first pistol kills #11757 12/07/2005 1:03 PM
mstake Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
It all started back around feb 05 for me. For some reason i got the ideal that i wanted to hunt with a pistol this season. So i checked all a few forums for ideal and it wasn't long and i bought a new pistol. In fact i bought a pistol and a barrel for a tc encore. I had planed on hunting with only a pistol this season. I had my doughts though," what if i see a big one at 100yds". Do i want to take that chance. I new that 100yd shot in a real hunting situation was not in my grasp. A 50yd shot is more what i want. Even then can i control my emotions at that distance to make a shot. While i was going though all this i some how influenced my brother that he need to give this pistol hunting a try. So helped him get set up to the best of my learning and he bought a tc encore. Hunting season rolled around and we was confident in a 50yd shot. But to push myself over the edge i don't even shot one of my rifles, pistols or nothing. My brother wasn't that confident. He had checked his trust 30/30 for zero. I was ready i had my 44 rsbh, tc 375 win ready to go. The season open in Va and off we go! I learned a lot on the first 2 days of hunting with a pistol. I learned that your pistol will become a block of ice in you hands if you hold it to long. Being stead is not a easy thing to acheive. The big leason learned was geting a clear view though the scope when a buck is on you. Well it happened! A nice buck came in early and i looked like a bobble head doll try to get a clear view though my scope. He didn't hang around for all that movment. Then that had me secound gessing my planes of hunting with a pistol. But i didn't give up and on the last day of my week hunt, which was doe day. I had a early encounter with a deer and was able to get the scope on it.The 375win roared. As they say the rest was history! 15 min. later a spike buck lay at my feet. Do you ever feel like just dancing! I did!. OH yeah that eveing my brother scored his fist. A spike with his 7mm/08 tc. Thanks to all the folks for all your help!

Re: influences that we share, two first pistol kills [Re: mstake] #11758 12/07/2005 2:20 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Congrats to both of you. First times are special. Real happy for both of you. Next season you will even be more prepared as I am sure you will be working on getting a quick sight picture from a number of different angles/positions.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: influences that we share, two first pistol kills [Re: mstake] #11759 12/07/2005 8:26 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
congrats
with more practice n determination like you've shown.........picking up the target in that scope will become second nature.....and your confidence in range capabilities will grow also.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: influences that we share, two first pistol kills [Re: mstake] #11760 12/07/2005 11:50 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
CONGRATS to you and your brother. Yep with practice comes more proficiency with Handgun Scopes. They are a totally different world than Rifle Scopes for the novice. You proved to yourself (as did your brother) that you have the patients to get it done. Each and every time you go to the field your confidence level will increase as will your familarzation with your Handgun(s) & Scopes.

Great Job, give your brother and yourself a huge pat on the back.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: influences that we share, two first pistol kills [Re: mstake] #11761 12/08/2005 4:29 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Hey...that's great!! When I first started handgunniing I spent a lot of time shooting chipmunks. When aiming I kept getting this blackness creeping into the scope...could not figure out why?! Found out I was lowering the muzzle of the gun...got that worked out by concentrating more on my grip to strength it. Downhill ever since!! I've been handgunning for 11 years...started w/ small game then g-hogs and then deer. Now I don't even consider a rifle unless it's a special occassion...I love handguns but have a thing for a nice custom Mauser rifle. So iffin I have a rifle built...I'll work a load, shoot a deer with it then in the safe it goes.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod