Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thompson Center frames #193507 07/11/2018 2:37 PM
Gsj Offline OP
OP Offline
I understand the encore frame is bigger than the contender frame,and can handle higher pressure calibers. Question is, how much bigger? I want to use it as a handgun, and like the calibers available in the contender, but looking at my options.
I am also having trouble finding a frame distributor for new and used frames. I know Fox Ridge is gone, and have found Hausofarms. Is there any one else out there? I do not need a new G2 frame, a used G1 would be fine. Also, I need a source for rings , bases, and grips. Any suggestions would be very apreciated.

Re: Thompson Center frames [Re: Gsj] #193509 07/11/2018 3:07 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Go to your local gun shops or gunbroker for the frames. Need a FFL for that.
For all gun related parts/scopes the winners are MidSouth Shooter Supply, and Natchez Shooters Supply. THey have the best prices and very large stock.
Midway is another option, but it is more expensive than the other two.
To look at it, the Encore frame is a tad heavier and maybe 5-10% larger than a Contender frame.
Ask away on this site. A bunch of us have been in "the business" for a very long time.

Re: Thompson Center frames [Re: wvhitman] #193510 07/11/2018 4:24 PM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
In addition to different frames, you can get different grips to put on the different frames that can change the size and feel of them. not sure where you are, but call around to some of the local gun shops to see if they have any around.

Re: Thompson Center frames [Re: karl] #193511 07/11/2018 6:35 PM
Gsj Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you both very much. I am in the Denver area. I wish I could compare the 2 frames side by side in the handgun configuration, not sure which would fit my needs better

Re: Thompson Center frames [Re: Gsj] #193570 07/15/2018 5:45 PM
OFFSHORE Offline
Something else to keep in mind and these are words from Jim Hendershot, he is a smith that does a lot of T/C frame tinkering. I wanted to send him a T/C Contender frame I bought at a flea market vendor to have him work the trigger and do a spring upgrade. He told me he could, but hardware is scarce these days for the Contenders and when I complete this Contender to baby the hell out of it because when is breaks or has internal issues, the frame may be only good as a paper weight on my desk! Something to think about. I have both and feel there are more after market goodies for the Encore to accommodate the shooter then there is for the Contender. . .at least these days. You can find good deals sometimes on GunBroker.com and Armslist.com. I bought a new stainless Encore frame from from Hausofarms for $350 and T/C had a $75 mail-in rebate. . .$275 for a new stainless frame! Tony's Forends & Grips can tailor some real nice furniture for your T/C hand cannon too. Something designed just for "your hands" which makes for a more pleasurable handling/shooting T/C frame.

Re: Thompson Center frames [Re: OFFSHORE] #193571 07/15/2018 7:32 PM
JDK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Offshore, that is scary. It makes me want to forget about the dream of a 358 JDJ conversion.

John

But for the grace of God, there, I go.
Re: Thompson Center frames [Re: JDK] #193573 07/15/2018 7:53 PM
OFFSHORE Offline
 Originally Posted By: JDK
Offshore, that is scary. It makes me want to forget about the dream of a 358 JDJ conversion.

This is just what Mr. Hendershot has told me. He and Mike Belm talk and he siad Belm is in the same boat. I have bought two Contenders since I heard this news just for spare parts. Now, knock on wood, I have a 1976 Contender that I have owned for twenty something years and have had zero issues. . .but I do have back-up now just in case it's true.

Re: Thompson Center frames [Re: OFFSHORE] #193577 07/16/2018 2:08 AM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
Perhaps I am naive but aren?t all T/C products covered by a lifetime warranty? Has anyone sent a Contender back to the factory and not have it repaired?

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Thompson Center frames [Re: billa] #193579 07/16/2018 5:27 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: billa
Perhaps I am naive but aren?t all T/C products covered by a lifetime warranty? Has anyone sent a Contender back to the factory and not have it repaired?

I have not contacted S&W about this but from what I have read they were no longer working on Contenders. I think the warranty went away when they took over. I have heard the same thing about T/C percussion and flintlock muzzleloaders.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Thompson Center frames [Re: pab1] #193658 07/23/2018 7:22 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
I have two JDJ Conversions. One on the original frame, and one on the G2. I shoot both of these quite a bit, and have had no issues-great cartridge. The only thing that I have heard about T/C warranty in Contender frames is that if replacement is warranted, you might get a G2 instead of the original. Another option may be Magnaport. I heard that Magnaport had built a run of Contenders for the T/C Collectors Assn. a few years back. It may still have parts.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod