Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Desert Eagle Holster / Carry Method #193915 08/14/2018 3:32 PM
BKS Offline OP
OP Offline
I bought a Desert Eagle 50 AE and plan on hunting with it. I?ve seen a few posts on here using the search function where others have one and hunt with it. I plan on adding a red dot of some type and am looking for suggestions on how to carry it in the woods?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Re: Desert Eagle Holster / Carry Method [Re: BKS] #193916 08/14/2018 3:48 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
Shoulder holster like the Bandito from Pistol Packaging.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: Desert Eagle Holster / Carry Method [Re: Sawfish] #193922 08/14/2018 11:18 PM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
Congrats on your new gun. I have an L5 on order so this topic is of particular interest to me. If yours is the XIX model then I take it you intend mounting the red dot on the barrel. While there are a number of shoulder holsters and hip holsters made for the Desert Eagle, I haven't seen any that are designed with a red dot in mind. You'll probably have to go custom to get something you'll like.

I think this may be a general problem. While red dot optics have now become mainstream, holster makers seem reluctant to design for them.

Re: Desert Eagle Holster / Carry Method [Re: Walkingthemup] #193932 08/15/2018 3:57 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
I have not found that to be a problem with the custom holster makers. They essentially make them one at a time, and almost all of them offer holsters for scoped pistols. They may not list them on their websites, but most of them can accommodate red dot sights with a minimum of modification.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: Desert Eagle Holster / Carry Method [Re: Sawfish] #193943 08/16/2018 11:49 PM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
Hi Sawfish. Maybe I didn't word my post properly, but that was the point I was trying to make. The major commercial manufacturer seem to be ignoring optical sights and as a result people may need to find a custom maker.

Re: Desert Eagle Holster / Carry Method [Re: BKS] #193980 08/18/2018 2:45 PM
BRASF0311 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
BKS, to solve this problem, I went with a universal system that has been working very well for all my handguns that I use for hunting. I purchased the slimmest range bag with a shoulder strap that fits the handgun. I have one range bag for longer barreled revolvers and single shots, and a shorter one for the semi-auto's and short barreled revolvers.

In this video, click here, at minute 1:33, you can watch how I use the bag with my Ruger Mark IV that has a red dot sight mounted.

I really like the versatillity of the range bag for extra ammo storage, and anything else I need, like a flashlight. It can be slung across my back while climbing treestands, carried at my side or in front while stalking, and it can be easily removed when I'm seated. I keep it zipped up to protect the handgun from the elements and brush, then unzip it enough for easy access when needed.

Simple, cheap, and universal. Spray it down with some water repellent and it keeps your gun safe, secure, and protected.

Just an option for ya.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod