Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
44 Mag "PROOF" Cases #194279 09/09/2018 6:25 AM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Years ago I was at the range and picked some brass up off the ground. It looks like someone had been firing Black Hills 44 Mag ammunition. As I pick them up I notice an odd thing on the headstamp of several pieces. They are stamped "PROOF". I know Black Hills sells "remanufactured" ammunition. My guess is that these cases along with standard BHA 44 mag brass are all thrown in together and reused.

I roll my own so this is not an issue, but, if you were to open a box of ammunition and see some of the cases stamped "PROOF" would you at least pause for a moment before firing them? That went through my mind as soon as I picked them up.

What if somehow there was a mix up at the factory and actual proof rounds were accidentally mixed in with standard pressure rounds. A couple of them look like there was some minor cratering. Any quality gun in good condition should be able to handle them but I don't like pushing the limits with max loads in any of my guns. If it were me I probably would have put them aside and not fired them (at least until I contacted Black Hills for confirmation). What do you think?

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: 44 Mag "PROOF" Cases [Re: pab1] #194281 09/09/2018 1:27 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Sounds plausible,alto like you I would be hesitant to shoot them if found in a box of re manufactured ammo.The primers do not look like proof loads. Surely they mark there proof loads different than standard loads [painted heads,blue pills] so they don't get out into the public's hands. I believe I would add those to my collection of oddball cases we all seem to have.

junebug
Re: 44 Mag "PROOF" Cases [Re: junebug] #194285 09/09/2018 7:36 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I would have put them on the side......

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod