Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ruger MkIII Upgrades #194595 09/28/2018 4:33 AM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I've been wanting to install a Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit on my MkIII Hunter for a while now. I recently found out that Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) slot fillers were available also. I removed the LCI years ago because it caused extraction problems. I figured if I'm going to upgrade the gun I would pick up a LCI filler too.

I also picked up some Pachmayr G10 grip panels. I do prefer the look of the wood grip panels. These are much more durable and I won't worry about scratching them.

Here's the gun prior to the upgrades.

Here's the gun with the LCI filler and G10 grip panels installed.

The Tandemkross LCI filler fits well and looks much better.

The speed strip kit uses a two piece bolt stop pin. I installed the 3.2 kit which also eliminates the magazine disconnect feature (that and the LCI are both "lawyer features" the gun is better off without). Now, instead of having to remove the mainspring housing in the back of the grip to strip the gun, I only have to remove the bolt stop pin with an Allen wrench. It also reduces trigger pre-travel by 65%.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Ruger MkIII Upgrades [Re: pab1] #194597 09/28/2018 5:08 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
I have the Majestic Kit in mine also. A real improvement.
I also have the magazine disconnect removed, trigger work, and a magazine ejector.
I did not put the Filler in so far.
I need to do a little tuning on the feed lips on all 10 magazines. Mine leaves an empty in the action way too often.
I suspect the bolt contacting the magazine feed lips during ejection jars the empty off the extractor.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: Ruger MkIII Upgrades [Re: Bob Roach] #194601 09/28/2018 8:51 AM
pab1 Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Bob Roach
I have the Majestic Kit in mine also. A real improvement.
I also have the magazine disconnect removed, trigger work, and a magazine ejector.
I did not put the Filler in so far.
I need to do a little tuning on the feed lips on all 10 magazines. Mine leaves an empty in the action way too often.
I suspect the bolt contacting the magazine feed lips during ejection jars the empty off the extractor.

Bob R

Have you tried replacing the extractor and extractor spring? At $20 the LCI filler is well worth the money. Not only does it improve its looks but it prevents debris from entering the action.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod