Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Delta point versus scope. #195211 10/29/2018 1:42 AM
linebaugh Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I?ve been on the fence, about putting a Delta Point, on top of one of my revolvers.
I?m trying to make my hunting revolver, a little more carrier friendly. I guess what I?m trying to say is. I have this sexy little cross draw holster, and I just love how that Freedomarms looks without that Scope on top. But, I?m afraid I won?t be able to shoot far enough, when the time arises.
So, to you gentlemen, who have the Delta Point on your revolvers, or red dots of that design. Do you like them? How is the shooting window? Are you happy with it, or do you think the scope is more efficient?
For what it?s worth. The scope I use is a 2x, so magnification isn?t really a factor.
Thank you in advance, for your insight.

//Psalms 42:1//
Re: Delta point versus scope. [Re: linebaugh] #195217 10/29/2018 7:29 AM
OFFSHORE Offline
I own and shoot both, scope and DDP. I do not like red dot type sights. The DPP with the 2.5 MOA dot is a perfect sight for hunting out to ranges of 150 yards. Target acquisition is quick and field of view is super. It is a small sight, so it doesn't "take over" the action. I have them mounted on 1911 and Ruger SBH handguns and love them. I think you will be satisfied with its performance in the field.

Re: Delta point versus scope. [Re: OFFSHORE] #195218 10/29/2018 10:02 AM
dhom Offline
addict
addict
I have both 2X scopes and red dot sights. I decided to use more red dots. My general guide lines for revolver distance is 75 yds or 125 yds under the most stable of conditions, the latter of which doesn't always exist in the field. I shot both side by side at 100 yds and there wasn't a noticeable difference for me as far as accuracy. [that includes a lot of practice with each sight] So, for me red dot wins until I get to the contenders.

Re: Delta point versus scope. [Re: dhom] #195219 10/29/2018 10:23 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
Aperture rear sight and try to find a range that hold I.H.M.S.A. shoots. Then you don't have to put anything on top. Keeps the looks and the balance. How far do you think you'll have to shoot?

Last edited by bluecow; 10/29/2018 10:25 AM.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Delta point versus scope. [Re: bluecow] #195221 10/29/2018 11:03 AM
linebaugh Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
To be honest, I plan to keep my shots as close as possible. I kind of feel like, we?re in this for the challenge of getting close to the game we?re pursuing. But, that little voice inside my head is telling me to be prepared for longer shots, if needed. And usually by the time archery is over, I?m ready to reach out a little farther, than the limits of an arrow can take you.
I would say, I?d like to limit my shots to under 100yrds. But I first of all, want to be completely efficient with my shots.

//Psalms 42:1//
Re: Delta point versus scope. [Re: linebaugh] #195226 10/29/2018 1:46 PM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
I run both.
I put a red dot on my 45-70 encore and am quite comfortable up to 100 yards or 125 yards if light is decent and I have a rest of sorts. Off the bench at the range it will shoot 2moa or better at 100 yards, but ONLY on the center bulls eye of a target. I can't see the smaller peripheral targets at that range.

I find low light performance is the biggest difference.
If light is poor then my range is cut significantly depending on the contrast between the deer and the background. That doesn't happen with a good scope. I find my leupolds let me shoot up till the end of legal hunting time at whatever range I want.

Last edited by karl; 10/29/2018 1:46 PM.
Re: Delta point versus scope. [Re: karl] #195236 10/29/2018 10:58 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Neither red dot or scope will allow you to shoot farther than you do now with open sights. Only lots of practice with your chosen sight will allow you to do that whether it be red dot or scope. I use both and the dot is on my 75yd. and in gun and a minimum 4x or a variable is on the longer range stuff.Long range being determined by how good of a rest I have at the time.Some days long raange ain't very far.

junebug
Re: Delta point versus scope. [Re: linebaugh] #195243 10/30/2018 1:14 AM
OFFSHORE Offline
 Originally Posted By: linebaugh
To be honest, I plan to keep my shots as close as possible. I kind of feel like, we?re in this for the challenge of getting close to the game we?re pursuing. But, that little voice inside my head is telling me to be prepared for longer shots, if needed. And usually by the time archery is over, I?m ready to reach out a little farther, than the limits of an arrow can take you.
I would say, I?d like to limit my shots to under 100yrds. But I first of all, want to be completely efficient with my shots.

If you're not comfortable with your iron sights for under 100 yard hunting targets, then the Leupold DPP is the way to go. You will get better field of view and a much faster target acquisition than with a scope or red dot sight.

Re: Delta point versus scope. [Re: OFFSHORE] #195247 10/30/2018 12:18 PM
Seminole Wind Offline
addict
addict
I really like Leupold DPPs on hunting handguns, but they have a feature that may surprise you if you're not aware. The dot will automatically cut off after about 5 minutes of inactivity to save battery power. Movement reactivates the dot, but if you move the gun very slowly, as in a hunting situation where you don't want the animal to see movement, the dot may not reactivate. It is disconcerting to slowly raise the gun from your lap and not be able to find the dot. A slight jiggle of the gun will turn the dot back on, and you can get down to business.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod