Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SRH Trigger Kits #197763 02/16/2019 10:05 PM
nomosendero Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I started a thread asking about Red Dot sights, stating that I was in the process of buying a Super Red Hawk. Well, I now own that SRH. I now want to get a lighter trigger pull. I notice that Brownell's has three trigger kits, one from Wilson Combat, Wolff & they market Pro-Spring. None are expensive so I wanted to hear from your personal experience which you prefer.
thanks

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.
Re: SRH Trigger Kits [Re: nomosendero] #197764 02/17/2019 1:08 AM
Pa. Mike Offline
I had my local gunsmith obtain a Wolff kit from Brownell's and install it in my Ruger Super Redhawk. I can't remember which weight spring he installed but it was not the lightest one. It really did make a difference and improved the pull.

Re: SRH Trigger Kits [Re: Pa. Mike] #197774 02/19/2019 12:54 PM
rob-c Offline
I installed the 12 lb hammer and 10 lb trigger springs , I didn?t want to go any lower on my hammer as I still wanted reliable primer ignition. I also installed trigger and hammer shims on mine and broke out the dremal and polishing compound since I had it apart. Super happy with my trigger.

Re: SRH Trigger Kits [Re: rob-c] #197815 02/23/2019 6:00 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
Do a search for GP100 Book of Knowledge. OR just look for GP100 Trigger Job Videos on You Tube. It will give you a handle on assembly and disassembly, and also some basic clean up work.

Wolfe Springs work just fine.

I have "hex head" drill bits that I "hand turn" in the pin holes to clean up burs. One set fits the GP100/SRH and the other the SP101. The pins go in and out much easier after cleaning the holes up.
I also polish the Trigger Spring hole in the housing. Split dowel with fine sand paper in a drill. Be Careful!!! Go Slow!!
File and polish the Main Spring Strut. They are all rough as a cob. You need to start with a file and get it flat to start with.
I polish the sides of the Hammer Dog using a stone or sand paper on Glass. They must be a stamped part as all are curved a little and not completely flat.
I normally shim the Hammer Dog and Trigger. The Hammer is a pain to install with shims. I have quit shimming the hammers. I do not think the newer skeletonized ones need shimmed anyway. You can probably find the guy who sells the shims doing a search. I have not ordered from him in a while. Get the assortment.
If you really want to shim the Hammer build a Slave Pin to hold the Shims while installing the hammer.

I have Tongue Depressor sticks that I glue fine sand paper to. (Fine being 600, 800, 1000 grit) To smooth out burs in places like the hole the trigger goes through. Go light and do not make the hole bigger. Just clean up any rough edges. The same goes where the trigger housing goes into the frame. Just clean up any burs "very carefully". Do not change any dimensions!!
Go easy polishing internal parts!

For a Hunting Super RedHawk that you cock (Shoot Single Action) you can get by with a lot less polishing and clean up. Probably just cleaning the Hammer Strut up and Springs will be a big improvement. I have had a couple that were good enough out of the box for Single Action work.

I go the full treatment on my ICORE Revolvers that I shoot double action.

Do not forget the Hogue "TAMER" Grip. You will like the Smurf Blue Sorbothane strip down the back. It really soaks up recoil.

Bob R

Last edited by Bob Roach; 02/24/2019 2:21 PM.

See You At The Range
Re: SRH Trigger Kits [Re: Bob Roach] #197825 02/24/2019 1:44 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I use the Wolff springs, and am very satisfied.

Re: SRH Trigger Kits [Re: 500WE] #197847 02/26/2019 9:56 PM
RH Custom Guns Offline
I've always had good luck with Wolff springs, too.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod