Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Need help mounting red dot on BFR #198345 03/27/2019 12:40 PM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I've recently acquired a BFR in 460 SW and I'm trying to put a reflex style red dot on it. Most likely will end up with a Trijicon RMR Type 2 for it.

Here's the dilemma...the mount that is included with the handgun will not work as is. The grooves are too narrow, obviously made specifically for scope mounts. The cross bar on a reflex red dot (well at least on the RMR and Vortex Venom) are too wide to fit into the retaining slots.

Anyone know of a different mount that would work? I've searched and cannot find anything so far.

If I can't find anything, I'm going to try to machine the existing mount myself, making one of the slots a bit wider.

Thanks!

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: Need help mounting red dot on BFR [Re: Randy M] #198348 03/27/2019 1:43 PM
Seminole Wind Offline
addict
addict
I have a Deltapoint Pro mounted on my BFR 454. Raptor Engineering makes a mount for a flattop Ruger that works on a BFR with a little modification. The BFR has a boss around the rear sight screw hole that a Ruger does not have, so a little relief has to be cut on the bottom of the mount. The mount has held up perfectly for over 500 rounds so far even though it's mounted with only one screw.

Re: Need help mounting red dot on BFR [Re: Seminole Wind] #198349 03/27/2019 1:57 PM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Seminole Wind
I have a Deltapoint Pro mounted on my BFR 454. Raptor Engineering makes a mount for a flattop Ruger that works on a BFR with a little modification. The BFR has a boss around the rear sight screw hole that a Ruger does not have, so a little relief has to be cut on the bottom of the mount. The mount has held up perfectly for over 500 rounds so far even though it's mounted with only one screw.

Thank you very much.

Re: Need help mounting red dot on BFR [Re: Randy M] #198354 03/27/2019 2:50 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The Ultradot L/T fits the BFR base without issue.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Need help mounting red dot on BFR [Re: Whitworth] #198357 03/27/2019 3:54 PM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
The Ultradot L/T fits the BFR base without issue.

Awesome. Thanks Max.

Re: Need help mounting red dot on BFR [Re: Randy M] #198377 03/28/2019 11:59 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
RANDY: YOU DIVORCING YOUR S&W 460 SO SOON? ARE TRADMARK's MV's WITH A BFR 460 TOO MUCH FOR YOU TO IGNORE? TRADMARK AND I HAVE COME UP WITH A PRETTY GOOD THEORY ON WHY THE BFR's SHOOT SO MUCH FASTER THAN THE S&W's AND IT IS NOT RELATED TO QUALITY COMPARISONS, IT IS BASED ON DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS, IN THE CASE OF THE BFR PROBABLY AN INCIDENTAL/ACCIDENTAL BY PRODUCT OF THE BASIC DESIGN, i.e. LONG CYLINDER WITH XTRA CYLINDER FREE BORE. MAKES ONE WONDER WHAT THE 357 MAG WOULD BE IF S&W HAD MADE ITS 38/44 CYLINDERS A LOT LONGER INSTEAD OF JUST STAYING WITH THE SHORT 38/44 CYLINDER.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Need help mounting red dot on BFR [Re: 45MAN] #198378 03/28/2019 12:33 PM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Ha, not completely Rey. But yes, Tradmark's friendship though I've never met him, has already cost me over $1000. Lol.

Interesting theory on the differences. My cylinder gap on the Smith is .004 which doesn't seem too bad and I haven't measured the BFR yet, but I know the tolerances are much tighter. This is evidenced by the towel I lay over my shooting bag. The Smith has literally set the thing on fire (and I do mean literally). The BFR...nothing close to it.

Also, I did a chronograph test on both. Exact same load, the BFR was 250 fps faster. Smith avg was 1930 - the BFR was 2180.

All that being said, I still love that Smith. It may be slower and not as well made, but it still shoots and kills unbelievably well. Now...it may very well become the back-up though. Time will tell as I still have a lot of work to do with the BFR.

BTW - I may be coming to South Texas soon to do some store visits (I work for a retailer based in San Antonio - hopefully the one you buy groceries at). If I'm close to Brownsville, we should grab lunch.

Randy

Last edited by Randy M; 03/28/2019 12:34 PM.

Re: Need help mounting red dot on BFR [Re: 45MAN] #198379 03/28/2019 12:33 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN
RANDY: YOU DIVORCING YOUR S&W 460 SO SOON? ARE TRADMARK's MV's WITH A BFR 460 TOO MUCH FOR YOU TO IGNORE? TRADMARK AND I HAVE COME UP WITH A PRETTY GOOD THEORY ON WHY THE BFR's SHOOT SO MUCH FASTER THAN THE S&W's AND IT IS NOT RELATED TO QUALITY COMPARISONS, IT IS BASED ON DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS, IN THE CASE OF THE BFR PROBABLY AN INCIDENTAL/ACCIDENTAL BY PRODUCT OF THE BASIC DESIGN, i.e. LONG CYLINDER WITH XTRA CYLINDER FREE BORE. MAKES ONE WONDER WHAT THE 357 MAG WOULD BE IF S&W HAD MADE ITS 38/44 CYLINDERS A LOT LONGER INSTEAD OF JUST STAYING WITH THE SHORT 38/44 CYLINDER.

The gaping cylinder gap doesn?t help either on these revolvers. The BFRs tend to be much tighter.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Need help mounting red dot on BFR [Re: Whitworth] #198380 03/28/2019 12:36 PM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN

The gaping cylinder gap doesn?t help either on these revolvers. The BFRs tend to be much tighter.

Yes sir. I'm also going to measure the diameter of every cylinder too. I'm betting those are off as well.

Re: Need help mounting red dot on BFR [Re: Randy M] #198381 03/28/2019 12:38 PM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
BTW - I realized I'm a moron about the mount issue. It never dawned on me that Trijicon may make an adaptor for the RMR that fits in weaver bases. They do. It arrives tomorrow.

Re: Need help mounting red dot on BFR [Re: Randy M] #198398 03/29/2019 12:35 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
RANDY: BY FREE BORE IN THE CYLINDER I MEAN THE WAYS THE BULLET HAS TO TRAVEL IN THE CYLINDER BEFORE IT HITS THE GAP AND THEN THE RIFLING. IN A RECENT SHOOTING TIMES THERE WAS AN ARTICLE ABOUT REVOLVERS SHOOTING AUTO CARTRIDGES FASTER THAN THE CLOSED BREECH AUTOS. THE AUTHOR THOUGHT THE REASON WAS THE FREE BORE IN THE CYLINDER, i.e. THE BULLET GETTING A CHANCE TO GET UP SPEED BEFORE IT HIT A BARREL/CYLINDER GAP AND THE RIFLING. I SENT TRADMARK A COPY OF THE ARTICLE AND HE ADVISED THAT HE THOUGHT THE REASON THE BFR WAS FASTER IS THAT THE CYLINDER WAS LONGER (BFR USES THE RIFLE CARTRIDGE FRAME WITH A REALLY LONG CYLINDER FOR THE 460) AND THAT THE BULLET HAD A CHANCE TO PRESSURE UP (GAIN MORE VELOCITY) BEFORE IT HIT THE GAP AND THE RIFLING. TOLERANCES, RIFLING AND THE LIKE MAY AFFECT MV BUT THE CYLINDER FREE BORE MAY BE A PLUS. NOT SURE WHY, BUT THE BFR APPEARS TO GET 200+ fps MORE VELOCITY THAN THE S&W 460's AND WITH A SHORTER (7 1/2 INCH BARREL). TRADMARK WAS GETTING 2,000 fps WITH A 325 SWIFT OUT OF A 7 1/2 INCH BFR, THAT IS ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod