Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
FYI: STEEL WOOL, STEEL STIX, DIYing #199148 04/22/2019 12:52 AM
45MAN Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I AM NOT MUCH OF A DIYer WHEN IT COMES TO FIREARMS BUT I AM NOT HELPLESS.

RECENTLY I ACQUIRED A USED 9 1/2 INCH RUGER SINGLE SIX 22MAG/22LR, AND GOT A BELT MOUNTAIN BASE PIN FOR IT, THE PIN WAS A NO GO IN THE 22 MAG CYLINDER BUT NOT IN THE 22LR CYLINDER, NOR IN ANOTHER 22MAG CYLINDER OFF ANOTHER REVOLVER. I POLISHED THE BASE PIN HOLE IN THE 22MAG CYLINDER WITH STEEL WOOL USING A DREMEL TOOL, PROBLEM SOLVED. DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS CRUD, RUST, A BURR OR WHAT BUT THE STEEL WOOL DID THE JOB. I HAVE AN EARLY 7 1/2 INCH COLT NF IN 357 MAG. IT HAD CYLINDER PIN ISSUES (SO I THOUGHT) SO I GOT A BELT MOUNTAIN BASE PIN. PIN FIT THE CYLINDER JUST FINE BUT THE BASE PIN HOLE IN THE FRONT OF THE FRAME WAS WHERE THE RESTRICTION WAS. AGAIN, DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS, RUST, CRUD, BURR OR WHAT, BUT I WRAPPED SOME STEEL WOOL AROUND A BORE BRUSH ON A ROD AND RAN IT IN AND OUT OF THE HOLE FOR A WHILE AND AGAIN, PROBLEM SOLVED.

THE OTHER DAY I DROPPED MY LINEBAUGH RUGER 45 COLT REDHAWK ON A CONCRETE SHOOTING TABLE AND THE BOWEN REAR SIGHT GOT A DING ON THE UPPER RIGHT SIDE OF THE REAR SIGHT SLOT. NO MATTER WHAT I PUT ON THE LITTLE DING, e.g. COLD BLUE AND A BLACK SHARPIE, THERE WAS A BRIGHT DOT AT THE TOP OF THE SIGHT WHEN OUT IN THE DAYLIGHT. FROM A GUY AT A HARDWARE STORE I GOT THE IDEA OF TRYING JB WELD STEEL STIX, A PUTTY THAT CREATES METAL THAT BONDS TO METAL, AND ONCE DRY CAN BE FILED, DRILLED, etc. SO I PUT A LITTLE ON, LET IT DRY, AND SQUARED OFF THE REAR SIGHT NOTCH (THERE IS STILL SOME XTRA METAL ON THE REAR OF THE BLADE, BUT IT IS NOT A PROBLEM), AND USED A SHARPIE AND COLD BLUE ON IT, AND THE BRIGHT DOT IS GONE.

I AM GUESSING A LOT OF YOU MAY HAVE DONE A LOT MORE DIYing ON GUNS THAN ME. PLEASE DON'T BE RELUCTANT TO SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: FYI: STEEL WOOL, STEEL STIX, DIYing [Re: 45MAN] #199153 04/22/2019 10:06 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
lost the pin that holds the rear sight on my SBH. found a finish nail that fit like it was made for it. (a bit long so i just bent it over) looked at buying another pin and they wanted 2x in S&H as the cost of the pin, and that nail was working so well...............

did a poor man trigger job on my SBH, and found no change. tried it with my single six. once every 10 or 12 times i cocked the gun, the hammer would only come back half way and then stop. would have to lower the hammer and start again. not okay. JMHO no PMTJ for me nor would i recommend it to others.

Last edited by bluecow; 04/22/2019 10:15 AM.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: FYI: STEEL WOOL, STEEL STIX, DIYing [Re: bluecow] #199165 04/22/2019 11:55 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Rey, The pin to hold the front sight blade on my S&W model 34 broke and stuck a paper clip in and bent back and forth till it broke in place. Forget how long ago but its still there. Used the heavy cell foam from a recoil pad to stop movement on GP-100 grips. Had similar damage to the Accro rear sight on my Gold Cup but was able to file and blue... Then I can rely on good people like you to come up with a spare firing pin for my Freedom when hunting at the YO.. Since that day I always carry a spare firing pin and pin spring along with a split driver bit should that happen again.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: FYI: STEEL WOOL, STEEL STIX, DIYing [Re: jamesfromjersey] #199172 04/23/2019 2:54 PM
longhunter Offline
addict
addict
When I was around 15 years old I aquired an old single shot Stevens .12ga shot gun(made in 1913)that I somehow lost the firing pin out of, only gun I had for squirrels at the time. Took me three days of filing by hand but finally fashioned a new one from a drill bit, thats some hard steel. Old shotgun still shoots fine.

Last edited by longhunter; 04/23/2019 8:49 PM.

"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath,But when I do so do the neighbors"
Re: FYI: STEEL WOOL, STEEL STIX, DIYing [Re: longhunter] #200637 07/13/2019 6:17 PM
45MAN Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
THE OTHER DAY I LIGHTENED A FEW TRIGGERS ON RUGER SINGLE ACTIONS BU JUDICIOUS BENDING OF THE HAMMER SPRING LEGS (AN EASY JOB), TODAY I PUT IN MY FIRST WOLFF TIGGER SPRING, HOLY S..., TOOK ME OVER AN HOUR, BUT I FINALLY GOT 'ER DONE, WHEW!!!

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: FYI: STEEL WOOL, STEEL STIX, DIYing [Re: 45MAN] #200645 07/13/2019 7:40 PM
cherokeetracker Offline
old hand
old hand
I have delved deeper than the above mentioned. I installed a new barrel on my 64, polished it to remove all blemishes. then bead blasted it. The rear sight was widened as Mic Mcpearson instructed, then later Ted Yost helped me with a remedy on the front sight. I did the grip on it out of Ebony. I was told later that the pieces I used were heart wood since it is Black and Red.
I have re-gripped over a dozen pistols several in French walnut and one Colt Frontier in Red Coolibah a rare Australian wood.
Did all the action work and changed out springs on my Rossi Trapper.
Fashioned my sight on my 45 bisley after the sights on the TLRs.
Removed the Billboards from a couple of Rugers,
Did a Merwin Hulbert skull crusher on a Birdshead grip on a 45 Ruger.
Welded the frame back together on my Colt SAA after blowing it up. Shaped it and milled the sight trough.
Correctly Clocked the barrels an 4 different Rugers, and one Colt.
Fashioned screw drivers and other tools to assist me in my endeavors. Also built a jig to hold the Colt SAA while I weld it. Yeah its crazy when a firing pin gets loose on a FA.
Used dremel to grind down sight screws on some Rugers recently.

Bluecow Had this happen and polished the transfer bar on the 22 Bisley I have, and me and Alan Harton looked at the base pin and you got to make sure it is staying on all the way since it has the spring in there that pushes the transfer bar back out of the way when cocking the gun. you may have to call Ruger and get them to send you a new base pin or you could order one from Kyle
Changed out the barrel on my 22 Bisley.
Changed out the rear sights on a few Rugers and my Model 27.

Charles

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 94 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod