Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ultradot Gen2: Anyone have one? #199312 04/30/2019 4:10 PM
adbhowler Offline OP
OP Offline
I just noticed that Ultradot has a Gen2 of their 25mm scope which has a 2 MOA dot rather than the 4 MOA on the ones I currently own. I know that at distance, the 4 MOA gets a little "big" and sometimes the dot "flare" can be an issue especially at the higher rheostat levels. Does anyone have a new Gen 2 and if so, what are your thoughts. Don't know if spending another $200 is worth just a dot size change but....

Thanks and Good Shooting.

Mike McBride
---------------
NRA Life Member

Re: Ultradot Gen2: Anyone have one? [Re: adbhowler] #199324 04/30/2019 6:06 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
I don't have experience with that specific optic, but I do have experience dropping down in dot size. I was using two different 3MOA red dots and was having a hard time on deer past about 50-60 yards. Now I do realize that Texas deer are more like over-sized rabbits, but regardless, that 3MOA was covering too much of the animal.

So, I ordered a Trijicon type 2 1MOA red dot...I will NEVER go back to a 3. What a world of difference a smaller dot makes.

To answer your question, in my opinion, it's well worth the extra $200 if you plan to shoot past about 75 yards.

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: Ultradot Gen2: Anyone have one? [Re: Randy M] #199357 05/01/2019 5:41 PM
adbhowler Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you sir for your input. I think I will get one to try it out as I have had shots out to 100 yards that a smaller dot size might have given me a little more confidence in the shot.

Good Shooting!

Mike McBride
---------------
NRA Life Member

Re: Ultradot Gen2: Anyone have one? [Re: adbhowler] #200006 06/05/2019 5:45 PM
nomosendero Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Seems like there is downside to the smaller dot if it is bright enough for conditions, but I don't see one with a 30mm tube & I don't want to get away from that.

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.
Re: Ultradot Gen2: Anyone have one? [Re: nomosendero] #200012 06/06/2019 4:27 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
I have a few of the MatchDot II sights. They have multiple dot sizes. Two MOA being the smallest. I am pretty sure that you can live with a Two MOA Dot. Normally you can turn it up bright enough for bright daylight. The big advantage is at closing time. As you mentioned the Two MOA Dot blooms less in low light.

I have a single old One Inch (25mm) UltraDot. I believe it is currently on my Scout Muzzle Loader pistol. All of my others are 30mm. I much prefer the larger 30mm field of view.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: Ultradot Gen2: Anyone have one? [Re: Bob Roach] #200025 06/08/2019 4:24 PM
nomosendero Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I just ordered a 30mm, I like the idea of the small dot but talking to the Ultradot Lady in CA (the importers I guess), I asked if the smaller dot would ever be available in the 30mm & it appears it will not be.
We all have different needs and preferences but for me the larger tube is more important than the smaller dot as I will not be shooting my SRH further than 100 yds. at game, esp. Deer or Black Bear. An adult Buck will have a 16" or so chest, so the dot would be 1/4 of body mass & I can use the bottom dot for 2" OF the drop, so not all bad.

Re: Ultradot Gen2: Anyone have one? [Re: nomosendero] #200034 06/09/2019 4:53 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
nomosendero I have the regular 30mm UltraDot on my 480 Super RedHawk. I have killed several deer with that combination. I have not felt the need to change it to a 30mm MatchDot II so far.
I do like the option of changing to 2 MOA in low light, but not badly enough to change the 4 MOA UltraDot out on it.

The MatchDot II will not fit on some set ups. The rings are to close together on a Super RedHawk being one. I have a Weigand Combat base on my Super RedHawk so I could run one if I felt the need to change.

I went with the MatchDot II on my 357 Maximum Contender barrel and also my 357 Maximum Scout pistol. I pretty much consider the 357 Maximum to be good for 100 yards or a hair further, so a Red Dot should be a pretty fair choice for optics.

I guess my point is I prefer the 2 MOA Dot in low light, but a 4 MOA will still work just fine.
The MatchDot II is more expensive than an UltraDot, something to be taken into consideration.
From your conversation with Heather it sounds like a 2MOA 30mm UltraDot will not be coming any time soon.

With a choice between a 2 MOA ONE Inch (25mm) UltraDot and a 4 MOA 30mm UltraDot I will go with the bigger field of view of the 30mm myself.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: Ultradot Gen2: Anyone have one? [Re: Bob Roach] #200039 06/09/2019 6:54 PM
bigbore442001 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: Bob Roach
nomosendero I have the regular 30mm UltraDot on my 480 Super RedHawk. I have killed several deer with that combination. I have not felt the need to change it to a 30mm MatchDot II so far.
I do like the option of changing to 2 MOA in low light, but not badly enough to change the 4 MOA UltraDot out on it.

The MatchDot II will not fit on some set ups. The rings are to close together on a Super RedHawk being one. I have a Weigand Combat base on my Super RedHawk so I could run one if I felt the need to change.

I went with the MatchDot II on my 357 Maximum Contender barrel and also my 357 Maximum Scout pistol. I pretty much consider the 357 Maximum to be good for 100 yards or a hair further, so a Red Dot should be a pretty fair choice for optics.

I guess my point is I prefer the 2 MOA Dot in low light, but a 4 MOA will still work just fine.
The MatchDot II is more expensive than an UltraDot, something to be taken into consideration.
From your conversation with Heather it sounds like a 2MOA 30mm UltraDot will not be coming any time soon.

With a choice between a 2 MOA ONE Inch (25mm) UltraDot and a 4 MOA 30mm UltraDot I will go with the bigger field of view of the 30mm myself.

Bob R

Hello Bob:

I too have a Ruger SRH in 480. I would like to put an Ultra Dot sight on it but the space between the rings is not enough.

How did you resolve this issue? Thanks

Re: Ultradot Gen2: Anyone have one? [Re: bigbore442001] #200112 06/16/2019 7:11 PM
nomosendero Offline
journeyman
journeyman
The regular Gen 1 will fit, the matchdots won't

Re: Ultradot Gen2: Anyone have one? [Re: bigbore442001] #200133 06/18/2019 5:22 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: bigbore442001
 Originally Posted By: Bob Roach

Bob R

Hello Bob:

I too have a Ruger SRH in 480. I would like to put an Ultra Dot sight on it but the space between the rings is not enough.

How did you resolve this issue? Thanks

You can use either the standard UltraDot which will fit, or if you prefer the MatchDot you can use the Weigand base to give you a section of picatinny rail to get the rings a little farther apart.

Weigand Combat SRH base

Re: Ultradot Gen2: Anyone have one? [Re: nomosendero] #200138 06/18/2019 7:15 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: nomosendero
The regular Gen 1 will fit, the matchdots won't

Yes indeed! Like it was made for this application!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod