Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Whitworth] #200464 07/02/2019 9:04 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I don't know about the rest of you, but of all the people I've talked to about handgun hunting, very few of them react negatively. Most of them are amazed or fascinated by it. That said, no matter how many game animals we cleanly take with our handguns, we're always going to run into hunters like John who, despite presumably never even having hunted anything with a handgun before, will attempt to denigrate us and our pursuits as unethical, or akin to a stunt. Those aren't the people that we need to try to convince; they've already made up their mind. We have to convince the silent majority who, upon reading about our hunts and well-worded replies to the haters and doubters, are willing to open their mind a little and learn. While John may have sent a snide reply disparaging Max's hunt, how many more people read that article and likely gained a little better understanding of handgun hunters and their capabilities? I'm guessing quite a few.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Chance Weldon] #200465 07/02/2019 9:24 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Chance Weldon
I don't know about the rest of you, but of all the people I've talked to about handgun hunting, very few of them react negatively. Most of them are amazed or fascinated by it. That said, no matter how many game animals we cleanly take with our handguns, we're always going to run into hunters like John who, despite presumably never even having hunted anything with a handgun before, will attempt to denigrate us and our pursuits as unethical, or akin to a stunt. Those aren't the people that we need to try to convince; they've already made up their mind. We have to convince the silent majority who, upon reading about our hunts and well-worded replies to the haters and doubters, are willing to open their mind a little and learn. While John may have sent a snide reply disparaging Max's hunt, how many more people read that article and likely gained a little better understanding of handgun hunters and their capabilities? I'm guessing quite a few.

With a circulation of more than a million a month I hope you are right. That said, you would be shocked at how many rifle hunters view what we do with skepticism. But, I welcome it as I believe it is an opportunity to educate. The letter I responded to was an example of conventional wisdom gone amok. So many folks believe muzzle energy is a measure of lethality. As they say, ignorance is bliss...

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Whitworth] #200482 07/05/2019 11:57 PM
nomosendero Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
 Originally Posted By: sixshot
In this same issue of American Hunter a guy used a 45/70 lever gun to take a Cape Buffalo in Africa using cast bullets. Use what you are used to & have faith in, your life might depend on it.
But, if you are uninformed, don't call it a stunt.

Dick

This is a topic that makes the conventional wisdom consuming Africa hunters apoplectic. Never mind that our revolvers produce less of everything compared to a .45/70 levergun, the .45/70 gets regularly raked over the coals in these circles. It seems to bring a lot of emotion out of otherwise rational people.

I have seen that a lot, esp. on the fire. I rarely go to that part of the forum now, some there know what they are talking about in scopes, longer range rifles, etc.
It appears they don't want to be objective about the 45/70, afterall the average guy can buy one.

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.
Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Whitworth] #200483 07/06/2019 12:05 AM
nomosendero Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Here you go:

He says he is experienced but the mere fact that he mentions the 'ballistic calculator" and doesn't consider that tissue damage, wound channel & penetration is what matters on Big Animals & mentions a round that would not have the right bullet, penetration, anything that matters, well it shows he is very ignorant. Max was VERY patient.
Hats off to you Sir, it appears my toleration level is dropping!

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.
Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: nomosendero] #200494 07/06/2019 7:37 PM
Jeffrey G. Offline
Energy table disciples should think a little deeper as to their assertions. At-the-muzzle energy figures are not what reaches the animal anyway. To follow their logic a rifle will fall below killing power after the energy drops to 1000 foot pounds or below. As if a .458 Winchester magnum bullet is futile after traveling more than 50 yards. That circling cycle of premise is stuck on a failure of musing. Terminal ballistics is what count. And placement is paramount in exercising terminal ballistics. Max Prasac mingled out in his response the reference to 7 feet of penetration with his revolver and the Professional Hunter quoted as saying the buffalo was dropped in a very short distance. Edifying while responding is a wise approach.
Placement of a lethal bullet design where the animal lives is WHAT BRINGS DOWN GAME EFFECTIVELY. Whether delivered by a rifle or a handgun, the bullet is the only contact that reaches the animal. Make the shot count as it is only accurate shots that are satisfying. If the animal moves just as you pull the trigger and the bullet hits too far back, then all bets are off and the lead must fly or the meat won't fry. The men and women of action know what is at stake. Keep shooting and reloading until the animal falls. And if the animal stops then place the shot accurately and keep hitting it till the animal falls. A true hunter respects the animal they hunt. And they strive, in turn, to drop it humanely. Hunters do not delight in the kill. Hunters savor the hunt and want only to bring the animal down as fast as possible with a lethal shot. Whether a neophyte or a seasoned hunter the goal is the same. Practice and practice and practice some more. No regret is more keenly and deeply felt than to miss your target and in turn, wound your quarry. Prevent regret by practicing until you are at ease in lining up the sights and squeezing the trigger consistently until the hammer falls. God Bless the Doers and God Forgive the Ones Who Give Only Lip Service to Action!!! Amen

Last edited by Jeffrey G.; 07/06/2019 11:44 PM. Reason: Added salutation and blessing

Jeffrey G. Locke
Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Jeffrey G.] #200514 07/07/2019 1:09 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
JMHO I could care less what other hunters thing as long as they leave me alone. I am sure that a lot goes on that i don't agree with. (Sunday Hunting) Alas everyone seems like they are bound and determined to stick their nose in someone else business right down to what you can eat, drink, or say.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: bluecow] #200516 07/07/2019 1:15 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: bluecow
JMHO I could care less what other hunters thing as long as they leave me alone. I am sure that a lot goes on that i don't agree with. (Sunday Hunting) Alas everyone seems like they are bound and determined to stick their nose in someone else business right down to what you can eat, drink, or say.

This is true. The internet gave everyone a voice and the ability to respond so quickly, some don?t even bother engaging their brains. That said, I?m in the business of publishing my handgun hunting exploits and am therefore attacked by the ignorant masses on occasion, and that requires a response that will hopefully open the minds of some. Hopefully...

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Whitworth] #200545 07/08/2019 12:19 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: bluecow

This is true. The internet gave everyone a voice and the ability to respond so quickly, some don?t even bother engaging their brains. That said, I?m in the business of publishing my handgun hunting exploits and am therefore attacked by the ignorant masses on occasion, and that requires a response that will hopefully open the minds of some. Hopefully...

And God Bless those of you who do! Keep at it I love reading everything that you do!

Last edited by bluecow; 07/08/2019 12:22 PM.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: bluecow] #200546 07/08/2019 12:32 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Many thanks! We all collectively need to keep fighting the good fight and educate the ignorant.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod