Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rain gear question for elk hunt #200747 07/25/2019 1:16 PM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
For those of you experienced in hunting elk in mid October...

What do you suggest for daily carry rain gear? I have a nice top/bib bottom set which is what I'm currently planning to have in my day pack. However, I'm wondering if a poncho would be a better idea. Less bulk (I think) and it can be used as dual purpose - ground cloth, emergency shelter, etc.

Thanks.

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: Rain gear question for elk hunt [Re: Randy M] #200748 07/25/2019 1:44 PM
COR Offline
stranger
stranger
Where you are hunting? For example...In Colorado I'd leave it unless I saw rain in the forecast and even then I'm usually too high up to get any. It's relatively dry and Rain Gear becomes a comfort that is rarely needed.... soft shell usually gets me through.

Re: Rain gear question for elk hunt [Re: COR] #200750 07/25/2019 1:58 PM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks COR. New Mexico, unit 16B Gila. October 12-16.

Re: Rain gear question for elk hunt [Re: Randy M] #200766 07/26/2019 2:46 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Hunting elk and moose in northern Utah I had a Columbia sportswear rain suit that I used on a couple of wet days but the material made noise going through any growth... I then bought a camo rain suit from Cabelas, for Alaskan moose and brown bear, that was much quieter... Was`ent cheap...Photo shows I still had the Columbia on my black bear hunt in Alaska.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Rain gear question for elk hunt [Re: jamesfromjersey] #200773 07/26/2019 2:33 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Frogg Toggs

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Rain gear question for elk hunt [Re: Randy M] #200782 07/27/2019 11:35 AM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran
Not rain gear specifically, but here is something I experienced on my first elk hunt.

I went on a bow hunt in southeast Idaho mid September. The weather was beautiful, no rain, 45 degrees at night, and 70 degrees in the afternoon. It was perfect for camping and hiking. The mornings had a heavy dew, and the wet sage and scrub oak brushed my shins as I hiked and stalked. My boots were water proof and fought the good fight, but my feet got soaked from the socks down. By the fourth afternoon, I was sitting on a sunny rock with my boots off because I had run out of dry socks.

That is how I discovered the value of waterproof gaiters, and I would recommend having a pair, even in the high desert.

Re: Rain gear question for elk hunt [Re: cmnash] #200783 07/27/2019 11:58 AM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks everyone. Great advice and tips all around. Here?s what I think I?m going to do. Essentially have both my rain suit and a poncho with me in camp. The poncho will live in my day pack regardless and will serve as rain protection, emergency shelter, etc. My rain suit will stay at base camp and be a ?game time? decision each morning.

Mathew-agree on the gaiters. Already have them.

Re: Rain gear question for elk hunt [Re: Randy M] #200791 07/27/2019 6:40 PM
Hawkeye Offline
old hand
old hand
I purchased a new set a few years back from Cabelas. I hunt in Sept. and needed the rain protection more than cold weather gear. It rains most every day where I hunt in SW Colorado. Sometimes a shower and other times an hour or so. They are the ticket.

Cabela's Men's Space Rain? Full-Zip Jacket with 4MOST DRY-PLUS?
About $150 total, for top and bottom. Both together are smaller than a half loaf of bread.
I wear them a lot, not only hunting but sporting events and turkey hunting.

I found out about them through several Game Wardens I bow hunt with after they made fun of my noisy rain gear. They use them in Alaska for fishing and hunting and Oklahoma where they work. I got them XXL so I could put a little insulation under them if needed.
Good luck.

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: Rain gear question for elk hunt [Re: Hawkeye] #200974 08/05/2019 5:09 PM
old colt Offline
stranger
stranger
Are you planning a foot-hunt or off horses?

I use KUIU chugach gear myself while backpacking & on foot, but horses thru brush will destroy it.. and any other rain gear for that matter. Slicker, chaps & wool are the only way to go if hunting off horses. Old boys in years gone by used that stuff for a reason. It works.

Slickers & leather will outlast 15 sets of raingear otherwise as well.

Re: Rain gear question for elk hunt [Re: old colt] #200980 08/05/2019 5:44 PM
Randy M Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
We will be packed in to a drop camp on horses. From there it's all on foot until we get packed out at the end of the week.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod