Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
buy your scope now #200785 07/27/2019 5:05 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I was reading this post on another site about Bushnell handgun scopes: "I sent the scope in to Bushnell with the required $10 for return shipping, got the scope back today with a letter saying that while my scope is under warranty they NO longer make or repair pistol scopes and they returned the $10 check uncashed .Letter said to call them to see what could be done.
I called and was told the pistol scope market was ZERO so they no longer make them".... I was also told that Leupold discontinnued their 2X model.... Hang on to your handgun scopes

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: buy your scope now [Re: jamesfromjersey] #200788 07/27/2019 5:59 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
You can see how big of splash we handgun hunters make in the market place. Bushnell's Elite 2-6x was a great scope for handguns. Ditto on the 2x Leupold. Both are no longer manufactured. Good advice James -- hang on to your handgun scopes.

Re: buy your scope now [Re: Mark Hampton] #200803 07/28/2019 12:34 AM
PsTaN Offline
addict
addict
See my Weaver/Bushnell thread. I had the exact same experience and am still awaiting the red dot I chose for replacement. I?ve been thinking I should order a Nikon or Burris 2X soon.

P

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"
Re: buy your scope now [Re: PsTaN] #200804 07/28/2019 1:29 AM
Bigbrowndog Offline
Burris is still makin?em, 2x, 2-7x, 4-12x. I know the reps and factory engineers, no mention of stopping.

Trapr

NRA Endowment mbr.
USPSA/IPSC
U.S. Practical rifle/shotgun national team
Re: buy your scope now [Re: Bigbrowndog] #200806 07/28/2019 2:00 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Right now, I think Burris, Nikon, and Leupold are the only big manufacturers making variable handgun scopes. The troubling news is that the Bushnell rep said that the handgun hunting market is dead (pistol scope market), me personally, I have no use for a red dot scope unless it has magnification (I will hope that one will be offered) Unfortunately, the same thing is happening with handgun bullets (fewer choices) I think we be in a much better place if everyone who had a hunting handgun, actually hunted with it....increase the demand....the market is not in Large, Dangerous game, but with the everyday guy and gal that deer hunts...that's the market that may actually popularize the sport we love.

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: buy your scope now [Re: Franchise] #200808 07/28/2019 2:37 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I work in this industry, and I?m not ready to sound the death knell. It may appear or feel like we as handgun hunters are being ignored, but I don?t see it that way. Manufacturers regularly add and drop products from their product lines. If they drop something that doesn?t mean our little corner of the hunting world is dead. It also doesn?t mean products won?t be added back to their lines either. As far as handgun bullets are concerned, I don?t think it?s ever been better for us. I have met with nothing but enthusiasm for what I do in the industry. We?re never going to be a big group, but we still draw interest. I choose to remain optimistic.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: buy your scope now [Re: Whitworth] #200810 07/28/2019 2:40 AM
Teep Offline
Red dot magnifiers are available but at an insane price.
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=red+dot+magnifier&userItemsPerPage=48

Re: buy your scope now [Re: Teep] #200815 07/28/2019 10:58 AM
sw282 Offline
addict
addict
l own a couple red dots... Unfortunately none of them seem to have

glass with the clarity or brightness of a quality handgun scope

Re: buy your scope now [Re: sw282] #200818 07/28/2019 2:00 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: sw282

This.

I run a bunch of red dots up to top of the line Aimpoint and EoTech. Glass can?t compare to a good scope.

But, they serve a different purpose, I guess.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: buy your scope now [Re: Zee] #200820 07/28/2019 3:16 PM
RSW Offline
I agree with Whit! I've been around a few years and see this before. When this super long range rifle craze runs its course they will be glad to sell a pistol scope. It seems right now everyone and his brother wants to be a sniper! Plus, they are catering to the black gun crowd and bringing out new scopes for them everyday. It'll pass don't worry.

Re: buy your scope now [Re: Zee] #200821 07/28/2019 3:24 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Zee
 Originally Posted By: sw282

This.

I run a bunch of red dots up to top of the line Aimpoint and EoTech. Glass can?t compare to a good scope.

But, they serve a different purpose, I guess.

You said it. The red dot does serve a different purpose, but can be used at longer ranges. They don?t need to have the same quality glass as they don?t magnify and you use them with both eyes open. I just see it as a non issue.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: buy your scope now [Re: RSW] #200822 07/28/2019 3:30 PM
Teep Offline
I wonder what the market really is for handgun scopes. I see the need for scopes on the single shot handguns but what is their percentage compared to those that use revolvers. Most revolver and auto shooters seem to prefer red dot sights when using optics. We are a small market and the split don't help either. The market is much bigger for the red dot sights as they are market for all types of guns and bows. I wonder when we will start seeing them marketed with built in magnification but this will come at the expense of eye relief.

Re: buy your scope now [Re: Teep] #200828 07/28/2019 7:14 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
There is definitely a market for handgun scopes, just a small one. I think a lot more red dots go on AR's than handguns anyway....well, hunting handguns that is....I see a lot of red dots on AR's, self defense pistols, and "turkey" shotguns...almost all the guys and gals on Handgun Hunting and Addicts are running scopes on their revolvers, but I think most of us are from the south and doing a lot of deer hunting with our handguns.....you don't really see a lot of red dots on XP's, Contenders, and Encores...and I can't imagine why anyone would really want to unless it had magnification...you want an optic as capable as the round your gun is chambered for....several things have hurt the handgun scope and handgun hunting market....the Black Gun craze for one, both rifle and pistol, and the large amount of misinformation about handgun hunting that has been put out in the last 10 years.....1 - you need a big bore hardcast .475 or .510 to reach the vitals of game animals, 1,200 fps is a magic number for pistol bullet velocities, and the 10mm is a dangerous game gun. We are SUPER small faction of the hunting world, we have to be honest about exactly what we do and what it takes to get it done.

Re: buy your scope now [Re: Franchise] #200830 07/28/2019 7:37 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
You must have young eyes, David. The red dot is a substitute for open sights, not a tool for magnification. My right eye is 20-15, my left 20-20, however my up close vision requires reading glasses and I suspect that is the case with most of our older members. I see more of a need for a scope out west where shots are on the longer side. Red dots are also great for up close and personal fast target acquisition. So there is a definite place for them right alongside the variable power scope.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: buy your scope now [Re: Whitworth] #200832 07/28/2019 7:52 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Magnification in a red dot sight would cost you some of the advantages that they offer, especially field of view.

Re: buy your scope now [Re: Gregg Richter] #200833 07/28/2019 7:57 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Guys, I'm not saying that all red dots need magnification, but it would be nice as an option...even a fixed 4x red dot....it may make a splash in the water 😉

Re: buy your scope now [Re: Franchise] #200837 07/28/2019 11:40 PM
Bigbrowndog Offline
Franchise it sounds like you?re talking about simply illuminating a handgunscope!!!.......that should be an easy thing to do, and an interesting prospect. I?ll mention it to the Burris engineers, it may be something that can easily be accomplished and fit both their Scout scope line and handgun scope line.

Trapr

NRA Endowment mbr.
USPSA/IPSC
Re: buy your scope now [Re: Bigbrowndog] #200838 07/28/2019 11:45 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Yes Sir! That's what I'm talking about. Thank you

Re: buy your scope now [Re: Bigbrowndog] #200839 07/29/2019 12:15 AM
Teep Offline
 Originally Posted By: Bigbrowndog
Franchise it sounds like you?re talking about simply illuminating a handgunscope!!!.......that should be an easy thing to do, and an interesting prospect. I?ll mention it to the Burris engineers, it may be something that can easily be accomplished and fit both their Scout scope line and handgun scope line.

Trapr

While you're talking to the Burris engineers also tell them we need lower settings on the red dots for early mornings, late evenings, and deep woods. Just barely on would be great.

Re: buy your scope now [Re: Teep] #200840 07/29/2019 12:37 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
And.....we cant get these features if we arent willing to pay for em. Long distance rifle shooters are happy to get a nice long distance scope for under 2k bucks. The >2k scopes fly off the shelves for rifles. Nobody bats an eye with an 800 dollar rifle scope. From what ive seen in the handgunning world anything over 300 bucks inspires alot of teeth nashing. Just an observation.

Re: buy your scope now [Re: tradmark] #200843 07/29/2019 2:11 AM
Bigbrowndog Offline
Teep, the lowest setting on a FF3 is pretty freakin low,....I can?t see it in normal daylight. The FF2 is auto setting, and that can be too bright sometimes.
I?m still trying to get them to put actual settings that work with NVD?s, Because the lower settings bloom IR night vision. But I?m trying!!!

Trapr

NRA Endowment mbr.
USPSA/IPSC
Re: buy your scope now [Re: Bigbrowndog] #200844 07/29/2019 2:15 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

Trapr

Ok, a scope instead of a red dot sight...big difference, thanks for clarifying.

Re: buy your scope now [Re: Teep] #200845 07/29/2019 2:39 AM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Teep

Trapr

While you're talking to the Burris engineers also tell them we need lower settings on the red dots for early mornings, late evenings, and deep woods. Just barely on would be great.

Trijicon RMR Type 2 1MOA.

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: buy your scope now [Re: Teep] #200847 07/29/2019 3:34 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Teep

Trapr

NVG compatible would be nice.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: buy your scope now [Re: Zee] #200848 07/29/2019 12:17 PM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
I bought Round One of my handgun scopes in the early 1990's when I got into Contenders. I bought Five 2-7X Burris scopes.
My next new handgun scope was a couple years ago when I returned one to Burris that was replaced with a new 2-7.
I have bought two more Burris 2-7's in the last two years. I was pretty impressed with the newer Burris Handgun Scopes. I picked up a used Leupold 4X in the last two years also.
My last 3 scopes for my Encore have all been Rifle Scopes.

If you buy a quality scope that is pretty much what you need. You will own it a very long time. One time purchase.

A lot of us have started running rifle scopes on longer range handguns which are getting more popular with us handgun hunters. This is also taking away from handgun scope sales.

I tend to run Red Dots (Ultra Dot & Match Dot) on Revolvers and shorter range handguns such as my 357 Maximums, and my Optima Muzzle Loader. I prefer scopes on my single shots.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: buy your scope now [Re: Bob Roach] #200850 07/29/2019 1:46 PM
ruger4570 Offline
addict
addict
My scout rifle came with a NcStar 2x7 illuminated scout scope. I put it on my Ruger Single Six Hunter and it works great. I bought a second one for my 10" contender 22 barrel. Looking forward to use on squirrels this fall. I shot 30+ rounds out of the 308 scout with this scope before putting on my 22, and it seemed to hold up fine. One thing, the entire crosshair lights up, not just the center.

Re: buy your scope now [Re: ruger4570] #200855 07/29/2019 9:46 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I bought a Leupold Delta Point when they were $299 and the first time I used it in the field I knew I was going to sell it. Sure there`s crosshair movement with a scope but the dot seemed to magnify much more for ME.. Guess I`am just a scope guy... Use what you like...

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: buy your scope now [Re: jamesfromjersey] #200903 08/02/2019 7:34 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
What the factories do depends on who is running the show. A few years back, the then CEO of Fiat-Chrysler made the decision to discontinue the Dodge Dakota (a vehicle in which Dodge had invested millions in revamping) because "no one wants a midsize truck". Chevrolet gleefully rolled out its midsize Colorado and racked up industry accolades for pickup truck of the year, along with the sales that Dodge lost. Toyota upsized the Tacoma to midsize and other manufacturers followed suit with similar vehicles. Zeiss developed a beautiful variable handgun scope, but the project was scrapped, and it never hit the market. The Zeiss rep. that was pushing for the scope was told there was no demand. When the Black Rifle Craze hit the shooting industry a few years ago, investor groups were buying up gun companies right and left. Think Savage, Marlin, T/C to a certain degree and others. Most of them stripped the lines down to a few best sellers, and concentrated on the black rifles and accessories for that segment. After they saturated the market, most sold off the stripped down companies. Of course this is all business but the hard truth is that if a company does not have someone on its board that understands and supports handgun hunting, there will be more of the same.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: buy your scope now [Re: Sawfish] #200905 08/02/2019 8:23 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I picked up two older Burris fixed powers with target turrets and adjustable objectives for $95 ea shipped the other day.
Have a good stock pile now.
Still need a 3-12 Burris if anyone has a nice one they want to part with.

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: buy your scope now [Re: H2OBUG] #200912 08/03/2019 8:54 AM
sw282 Offline
addict
addict
Well GEE WHIZZ!! I just found a NIB Weaver 2x CLASSIC SILVER handgun scope.

Unopened in its box. Forgot l had it. $200 SHIPPED.. Anyone interested?

Last edited by sw282; 08/03/2019 2:11 PM.
Re: buy your scope now [Re: sw282] #200938 08/04/2019 1:49 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
It's a shame, but not altogether unsurprising. That said, there's still a decent number of pistol scopes still on the market.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod