Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
hunting handguns #201315 08/22/2019 12:46 AM
BIZZMO Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
When is a hunting handgun no longer a handgun?I.E.barrel length ,sighting system,caliber,action etc.

Re: hunting handguns [Re: BIZZMO] #201316 08/22/2019 12:49 AM
JDK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
It's in the eye of the beholder. I have a Rem. 660 in .308 that I bet is the same size and weight as some of the handguns in use here. But, if it has a stock, it's not a handgun. If it doesn't, then it is a handgun. That's all I can figure!

John

But for the grace of God, there, I go.
Re: hunting handguns [Re: JDK] #201318 08/22/2019 1:16 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Different people will have different opinions on the subject. It doesn't bother me what people consider handguns, as long as they don't try to insult other people's choices.

For me, I'm very open minded about what constitutes a handgun. The most important thing for me is if it's designed to be held at one point - by a pistol grip, and solely the pistol grip, as opposed to the three point hold of a long gun (shoulder to stock, hand at trigger, other hand holding forend). Whether that's a snub-nosed 38 or a large custom bolt action specialty pistol. I'd even consider modified rifles and shotguns "handguns" if they're used to work around gun laws.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: hunting handguns [Re: Chance Weldon] #201319 08/22/2019 1:29 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
If you cant accurately shoot it off hand it is a short rifle and you might as well be shooting a rifle.

That is just me.

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: hunting handguns [Re: Chance Weldon] #201320 08/22/2019 1:29 PM
BIZZMO Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
thanks guys, I'm new to this. Will we ever get our own seasons like bowhunters and muzzleloader guys?

Re: hunting handguns [Re: BIZZMO] #201321 08/22/2019 1:53 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
For me, irrespective the platform, you must be able to shoot it offhand. If not, the advantage I feel handguns hold over other firearms is not being fulfilled.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: hunting handguns [Re: H2OBUG] #201325 08/22/2019 2:57 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: H2OBUG
If you cant accurately shoot it off hand it is a short rifle and you might as well be shooting a rifle.

That is just me.

Yes but you can shoot a short rifle accurately offhand. I think it is hard to define but basically be it a single shot, a revolver, or bolt gun its pretty obvious.

Re: hunting handguns [Re: tradmark] #201327 08/22/2019 3:13 PM
Bigbrowndog Offline
You have to make that determination yourself,......go about it open minded and then refine your decision as you gain experience and knowledge.

Myself, I used to consider and use the big single shots, I?ve now refined my choices to exclude anything that doesn?t fit my perception of why I got into handgun hunting for,...........challenging me to close the distance on game and take them cleanly. Max?s phrase at the end of his Big Iron show pretty much spells it out for me. It?s like archery hunting but noisier.

Trapr

NRA Endowment mbr.
USPSA/IPSC
U.S. Practical rifle/shotgun national team
Re: hunting handguns [Re: BIZZMO] #201329 08/22/2019 4:03 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: BIZZMO
When is a hunting handgun no longer a handgun?I.E.barrel length ,sighting system,caliber,action etc.

If the ATF says is a handgun, it is a handgun.
Now, what you consider a handgun is up for debate.
What you want to use for hunting and shooting...Use it and don't worry about the opinions of others (As long as it is legal where you are hunting).
If you hunt with any kind/type of a handgun, you have my support.
Some will say it con only have iron sights, others will say a non magnified reflex or dot sight, while some will use higher magnification scopes, and some (tell me it's not so) will put rifle scopes on their hunting handguns...Even on 44 Magnum non-ported revolvers and will kill African plains game all day long.
MY POINT?
Use what you want!
Be safe!
Enjoy!
Develop the skill set required for the type(s) you choose to use!
Try one of each style!
Kill stuff!
Be sure to share all of this with us!
BTW...We enjoy enabling others!!!
Welcome!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: hunting handguns [Re: Ernie] #201332 08/22/2019 4:37 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Ernie

What you want to use for hunting and shooting...Use it and don't worry about the opinions of others (As long as it is legal where you are hunting).
Some will say it con only have iron sights, others will say a non magnified reflex or dot sight, while some will use higher magnification scopes, and some (tell me it's not so) will put rifle scopes on their hunting handguns...Even on 44 Magnum non-ported revolvers and will kill African plains game all day long.
MY POINT?
Use what you want!
Be safe!
Enjoy!
Try one of each style!
Kill stuff!
Welcome!

This X100

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: hunting handguns [Re: Randy M] #201335 08/22/2019 6:42 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
The 4473 and/or ATF designate and define a handgun. Regardless of anyone else?s narrow or broad minded perspective and opinion.

One can argue the blue sky isn?t blue all they want. And just look the fool in the end.

It is what it is. Use what you want.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: hunting handguns [Re: Zee] #201337 08/22/2019 7:45 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Theres lots of ?use what you want? comments out there. This is good. Use what you want and what you like and hunt how you want. I dont think anyone was stating not to use what you want. Not sure anyone was making a judgement in any way shape or form. It was a question of what everyones personal opinion is. I use a reddot sight alot. I use a single shot on occasion and dont really care what anyone thinks or what their opinion is on the matter. That said, its worth noting that the atf states that bullets that dont expand in any way shape or form, even if shot into concrete, are expandable bullets because they have a tiny dimple in the middle of the nose of a bullet. Its their definiton. Not sure that makes it an expanding bullet. In fact we all call em solids. Not that i care about those opinions either.

Re: hunting handguns [Re: tradmark] #201341 08/22/2019 10:57 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I can take my 15" barrel Encore 30-06 pistol offhand at 100 yards and shoot 2" groups. I can reach in my pocket and pull out my G23 and shoot 4" groups at 60 yards. I don't even know how many I have anymore that fall in between. They are all handguns to me if they don't have a butt stock.

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: hunting handguns [Re: Ernie] #201344 08/23/2019 1:41 AM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
Welcome and X200 to what Ernie said!

The ATF has defined it for us, the rest is really just a holier than thou pissing match about who's method is better. Use what works for you.

We all have different reasons for doing it. I got into handgun hunting because in Minnesota there is a magical line across the state where you can hunt deer with a rifle on one side, but must use a shotgun with slugs on the other side. Oddly enough, you can use a handgun anywhere in the state. I started with a scoped 30-30 barrel for a contender and caught the bug. I hunt a mix of fields and woods (in the shotgun zone) and will carry different firearms/sight systems throughout the day depending on the time, location and expected range. Most of my hunting is scoped contender and encore at ranges of 0-200 yards from stands. I am hunting with ~4-5 other family members and kids on a 40 acre plot so wandering around looking for deer is not an viable option.

Wanting to challenge myself, I picked up a SRH in 454 last winter (irons) and hope to use that for some woods hunting this fall if I can continue to get to the range regularly for practice.

Last edited by karl; 08/23/2019 1:45 AM.
Re: hunting handguns [Re: karl] #201346 08/23/2019 2:23 AM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
You really have to go off of what the law considers a legal handgun, that's how they are registered so that's how we have to view them. What your choice is will be your personal opinion, not a legal one. Scopes, calibers, barrel lengths, bullets, all personal. Now, you can make a handgun into a rifle but you can't make a rifle into a handgun, at least no legally.

Dick

Re: hunting handguns [Re: sixshot] #201352 08/23/2019 2:26 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Okay BIZZMO, tell us what type(s) of handgun hunting you are considering getting into?

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: hunting handguns [Re: BIZZMO] #201355 08/23/2019 3:39 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
thanks guys, I'm new to this. Will we ever get our own seasons like bowhunters and muzzleloader guys?

I'd definitely be nice, but I doubt it. We're just too small of a group to cater special seasons toward. The closest I've seen are a handful of primitive weapons seasons that only allow exposed hammer guns that fire straight walled cartridges, or alternative weapons season that prohibit rifles and shotguns.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. In my state, we have six full weeks of gun season that I can hunt with my various handguns, with another two weeks for muzzleloader season before that. While it would be nice, a handgun only season wouldn't add much. Now, for some of you guys with week long gun seasons, that would be a different story.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: hunting handguns [Re: Chance Weldon] #201356 08/23/2019 4:08 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I think there are a number of states with handgun seasons, I know Delaware has one...

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: hunting handguns [Re: BIZZMO] #201357 08/23/2019 4:12 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Mississippi has a two and half month handgun season for deer and five month handgun season for squirrel.
\:D
;\)

Re: hunting handguns [Re: KRal] #201375 08/24/2019 3:38 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
Most of us on this forum view firearms deer season as handgun season. I have not taken a rifle deer hunting in years.
I have a 480 Super RedHawk Revolver in my hunting inventory of handguns. I have killed a few deer with it over the years.
I still have my Contender that I started handgun hunting with back in the early 1990's, along with a new G2 action what will use all the same barrels as my original Contender. My old Contender is pretty much now my 22 RF Practice Handgun. The G2's strength will let me load my 6.5X30 JDJ and 35 Bullberry a little warmer than I would push the old original Contender.
I also have an Encore with multiple barrels suitable to take most North American game.
I have a CVA Optima V2 Muzzleloader as well.
I even have a CVA Scout in 357 Maximum.
I have a combination of UltraDots, as well as scopes. My scopes are a combination of Handgun Scopes as well as four Rifle Scopes.
I consider myself handgun hunting using any of the above handguns, and sight combinations.

My advice is to use a handgun with enough power to get the job done. Limit yourself to a range that you have no doubt that you can make the shot. Do not attempt to make sloppy shots! Practice a lot, and get comfortable with your chosen equipment. Decide what platform you wish to use with your hunting location in mind. If you woods hunt from a stand pretty much anything can be used as long as your sighting system is suitable for the Range and Lighting Conditions. If you hunt fields you may prefer a handgun that is suitable for further engagement distances. You may also require more power to compensate for the bullet slowing down at extended range's. Read a lot and decide what will work best for you.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: hunting handguns [Re: Bob Roach] #201376 08/24/2019 4:31 AM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
Idaho has certain units that are designated "Short Range Weapons Only" which means, straight wall hand gun cartridges, archery or muzzle loader & the muzzle loader has to be lead, no sabots & no scopes & no 209 primers.

Dick

Re: hunting handguns [Re: Ernie] #201378 08/24/2019 6:30 AM
BIZZMO Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
deer, pigs and maybe some predators

Re: hunting handguns [Re: BIZZMO] #201398 08/24/2019 4:12 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
deer, pigs and maybe some predators

Great.
What kind of handguns do you intend to use?

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: hunting handguns [Re: Ernie] #201404 08/24/2019 5:54 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Ernie

MY POINT?
Use what you want!
Be safe!
Enjoy!
Try one of each style!
Kill stuff!
Welcome!

real nice ernie

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: hunting handguns [Re: Ernie] #201406 08/24/2019 6:13 PM
BIZZMO Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S&W 629 stealth hunter and a freedom arms model 83 .454 casull that I just put a weaver2x28 on.

Re: hunting handguns [Re: BIZZMO] #201407 08/24/2019 7:21 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
S&W 629 stealth hunter and a freedom arms model 83 .454 casull that I just put a weaver2x28 on.

Two very nice revolvers!
I used to hunt with a Field Grade 7.5" FA 454 and used a 83 for a couple of big game animals too. I have taken mule deer, antelope, whitetail, bobcat, and a Corsican with those revolvers.

Now I have a couple of S&W 44's (One custom and the other one is a Custom Shop) and one Franken-Ruger in 44 as well.
Use a couple of 357's for hunting too when using revolvers. A custom S&W and then a Franken-Ruger. The 357 Mag has killed Warthog, Black Wildebeest, antelope, springbuck, and a jackal.

I typically use single shot specialty pistols the most, but I enjoy my revolvers as well.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: hunting handguns [Re: Ernie] #201412 08/25/2019 12:09 AM
BIZZMO Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I Live in california where we can't use lead projectiles of any kind for taking any wildlife with a firearm. my stealth hunter doesn't care for the barnes bullets I've loaded for it but shots hornady xtps great. I've gone all in with the FA which shoots the barnes XPBs pretty good, it shoots 240 gr. Xtps great.I killed two whitetails in texas last year with the stealth but have yet to take anything with the F.A.

Re: hunting handguns [Re: BIZZMO] #201456 08/26/2019 5:46 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I Live in california where we can't use lead projectiles of any kind for taking any wildlife with a firearm. my stealth hunter doesn't care for the barnes bullets I've loaded for it but shots hornady xtps great. I've gone all in with the FA which shoots the barnes XPBs pretty good, it shoots 240 gr. Xtps great.I killed two whitetails in texas last year with the stealth but have yet to take anything with the F.A.

Good luck hunting this year!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: hunting handguns [Re: Ernie] #201494 08/27/2019 10:39 PM
BIZZMO Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
thanks!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod