Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") #201359 08/23/2019 5:27 PM
TheSavageRabbit Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm enjoying my 460 XVR and am now considering a BFR, FA, or custom Ruger conversion based on my .45 Colt Blackhawk. All in 454 Casull. I'd be interested in a 5.5-6.5" barrel.

Would you expect a difference in velocity between the BFR and FA?

Is the FA's fit and finish worth the extra money? Looks like BFRs are $1,000 and FAs are about $2,500.

Lastly, what about having my .45 Colt Blackhawk converted to a .454? I think I'd want the grip frame changed to a Bisley unit and would want the existing 4 5/8" barrel replaced. Who are the best people converting Rugers? What do you think it may cost to have the grip frame swapped out, barrel replaced, cylinder switched out for 454, and any other work that is suggested but I don't know about?

You guys are a great resource and I appreciate every second you're able to spend on giving new guys advice.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: TheSavageRabbit] #201361 08/23/2019 6:04 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: TheSavageRabbit
I'm enjoying my 460 XVR and am now considering a BFR, FA, or custom Ruger conversion based on my .45 Colt Blackhawk. All in 454 Casull. I'd be interested in a 5.5-6.5" barrel.

Is the FA's fit and finish worth the extra money? Looks like BFRs are $1,000 and FAs are about $2,500.

Lastly, what about having my .45 Colt Blackhawk converted to a .454? I think I'd want the grip frame changed to a Bisley unit and would want the existing 4 5/8" barrel replaced. Who are the best people converting Rugers? What do you think it may cost to have the grip frame swapped out, barrel replaced, cylinder switched out for 454, and any other work that is suggested but I don't know about?

You guys are a great resource and I appreciate every second you're able to spend on giving new guys advice.

Velocity difference between the FA and BFR should be minimal. We already know how well put together the FA is, but BFRs are really good as well. I have both and prefer the BFR with the Bisley grip frame (see photo bellow).

No need to have a Ruger built when Ruger already makes a .454 Bisley. That said, there is a reason few top custom gun builders will make you a .454 on a Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk. I have a pre-production .454 Bisley and I shot it loose pretty quickly. I think it makes for a better .45 Colt +P revolver than a .454. The Super Redhawk would be a better choice but it's a double-action.

Personally I think the best bang for the buck is the BFR, and you can safely carry it with a round under the hammer so it's a true 5-shot. JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Whitworth] #201363 08/23/2019 6:21 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Max, I'm just going to adopt your humble opinion as my own. BFR it is.

Now, if I don't want to get into reloading (as that seems like a full-time hobby unto itself, based on watching my father reload when I was growing up), is there any reason to get the .475 Linebaugh instead of the .454 Casull? I'm already finding that 460 can be hard to find in CA shops but those same shops always have a box of 454 lying around. I assume no one carries .475 Linebaugh in brick and mortar stores. I can order on-line but it has to be shipped to someone with a Fed Ammunition License so they can run the background check. Seriously.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: TheSavageRabbit] #201364 08/23/2019 6:58 PM
Seminole Wind Offline
addict
addict
I'll give your questions a shot. I have Ruger 7 1/2" 45 Bisley (custom John Powers), a BFR Bisley 6 1/2" 454 (standard gun, not Performance Shop), and a FA 10" 454. There is approx 100 fps between the FA and BFR, which you would expect considering the longer FA barrel. If the FA and BFR had equal barrel lenghts, I doubt there would be enough velocity difference to matter. The custom Ruger and the FA both have a .002 b/c gap, the BFR is .005. The FA is very refined and, to me, worth its cost. The BFR is a great gun at a reasonable cost. I would not want to convert my Ruger to 454. It is perfect in 45 Colt.

I would hope that every handgunner could own at least one custom Ruger, and a FA, and a BFR. Good luck, and no doubt you will enjoy whatever you choose.

Last edited by Seminole Wind; 08/23/2019 9:12 PM.
Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Seminole Wind] #201365 08/23/2019 8:23 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Leaning towards the Performance Shop (thanks for pointing out the existence of this option Seminole Wind, probably cost me $500) BFR 6.5" Bisley in 454 Casull. Maybe even with my initials on the frame.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: TheSavageRabbit] #201366 08/23/2019 8:35 PM
Seminole Wind Offline
addict
addict
Glad I could help spend your money!

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: TheSavageRabbit] #201370 08/23/2019 9:39 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Leaning towards the Performance Shop (thanks for pointing out the existence of this option Seminole Wind, probably cost me $500) BFR 6.5" Bisley in 454 Casull. Maybe even with my initials on the frame.

My .454 is a Precision Center gun...

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: TheSavageRabbit] #201371 08/23/2019 10:22 PM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran
I am watching this thread closely, as I find myself wanting (needing?) a .454 revolver.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: cmnash] #201372 08/23/2019 11:49 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
This response is going to be controversial. And I should note, the following is purely based on the 460 caliber. Take it for what it?s worth.

I?ve owned or own a 8.4 standard Smith 460, a 10.5 Smith PC 460, and. 7.5 BFR 460. I have zero experience with FA.

If you want performance and nothing else, the BFR is the way to go. My 7.5? was 200 FPS faster than my standard Smith 8.4? with identical loads. However, if you want accuracy, the BFR is not your best bet. I truly believe the BFR has a design flaw with its long cylinder. I could never match the accuracy with the BFR that my smith has. Be it from the gain twist rifling and/or a cylinder that was built to match a specific caliber, the smith kicked its azz in group size. Simply put, when you create a cylinder that?s too long for a specific caliber, the jump a bullet has to make from brass to barrel greatly affects accuracy.

The high velocity of a BFR vs Smith is due to a SA vs a swing out DA cylinder. Both of my smiths have a .004 cylinder gap. The BFR had a .002. That .002 was significant in terms of performance.

My PC 10.5? gives me the same velocities as the 7.5? BFR and disturbingly good accuracy.

The BFR long cylinder appears to have been built for the 45-70 and then merely adapted for shorter calibers. Certainly a cost efficiency for MR and is probably one of the reasons their revolvers are half the price of FA. But it affects accuracy, plain and simple.

A short cylinder BFR in .454 casull could possibly be a completely different story.

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Randy M] #201373 08/24/2019 12:43 AM
Brenden Offline
addict
addict
If I were to get another 454, it would be the BFR. I love my 45-70 and 475 Linebaugh.

If you reloaded, I would suggest the 475 Linebaugh. I prefer it over the 454's I've owned.

Honestly though, it's hard to beat a 45 Colt. I'm really starting to grow fond of that caliber.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Randy M] #201374 08/24/2019 1:11 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Randy M
This response is going to be controversial. And I should note, the following is purely based on the 460 caliber. Take it for what it?s worth.

I?ve owned or own a 8.4 standard Smith 460, a 10.5 Smith PC 460, and. 7.5 BFR 460. I have zero experience with FA.

If you want performance and nothing else, the BFR is the way to go. My 7.5? was 200 FPS faster than my standard Smith 8.4? with identical loads. However, if you want accuracy, the BFR is not your best bet. I truly believe the BFR has a design flaw with its long cylinder. I could never match the accuracy with the BFR that my smith has. Be it from the gain twist rifling and/or a cylinder that was built to match a specific caliber, the smith kicked its azz in group size. Simply put, when you create a cylinder that?s too long for a specific caliber, the jump a bullet has to make from brass to barrel greatly affects accuracy.

The high velocity of a BFR vs Smith is due to a SA vs a swing out DA cylinder. Both of my smiths have a .004 cylinder gap. The BFR had a .002. That .002 was significant in terms of performance.

My PC 10.5? gives me the same velocities as the 7.5? BFR and disturbingly good accuracy.

The BFR long cylinder appears to have been built for the 45-70 and then merely adapted for shorter calibers. Certainly a cost efficiency for MR and is probably one of the reasons their revolvers are half the price of FA. But it affects accuracy, plain and simple.

A short cylinder BFR in .454 casull could possibly be a completely different story.

Interesting and all revolvers are different. My bfr and smith both shoot about 1.4-1.5? groups at 100 with swift aframe loads. Difference is significantly more velocity from the bfr but thats a small issue when you are at those velocities but since i basically hunt offhand. I have the bisley grip and i love it. Way easier to shoot offhand than the plow handle. Smith trigger superior out of the gate. That said. Every fa 454 i habe is sockenly accurate. Velocity bw the fa and the bffr is a wash. The bfr is very accurate as well. Bfr bisley handles recoil better and can be safely carried with 5. Fa is the most precisely built 454 that exists. The bfr is half the cost and just the value of the century and thats the precision center guns

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Randy M] #201377 08/24/2019 5:18 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist

I don't think your theory is correct, Randy. I have experienced nothing but great accuracy from all of the long-framed BFRs that I have owned and shot. Maybe yours was a lemon -- it's possible. The .500 S&W has an even shorter case and bigger jump to make. This is a 50 yard group with a factory Magtech 400 grain load.

My .460 BFR is more of the same. Here are a couple of 50 yard groups with factory loads. With handholds I should be able to tighten things up a bit. I don't consider myself a great shot with scopes and actually do better with red dots, but these revolvers just shoot and there's not much to it as they are big enough to absorb a lot of potentially punishing recoil. Not trying to be a contrarian, I simply haven't experienced what you have experienced.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Whitworth] #201379 08/24/2019 9:35 AM
MS Hitman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I?ll throw my two cents in on this also.

The BFR has never really caught on down here, although it seems to be a fine revolver. If you must have a new revolver and cost is a limiting factor, this may be the way to go.

My .454 is a Freedom Arms, and once you use them, it becomes apparent why they cost what they do, and they are worth every penny. I have no problem with the grip shape. Mine is a five shot and that?s what I carry in it. I also invest in good leather to carry it.

As Whitworth stated, there is a reason few build .454s on Ruger frames. You?d do just as well with a five shot .45 Colt conversion from a performance standpoint. However, this will likely be your most costly route in terms of money and time. Pressure on the Casull is set at a max of 65,000 psi, and most factory loads, if I recall correctly, are loaded to a max pressure of 52-55k .

I had a Super Redhawk in .454, and it is one of the few handguns I was happy to sell. It should have never been made a six shot in my not so humble opinion. It would choke on loads the Raging Bull had no problem handling.

If you look around, used FA revolvers can be found for not much more than the cost of a Performance Center BFR.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: TheSavageRabbit] #201380 08/24/2019 10:22 AM
dhom Offline
addict
addict

I can't match the experience that some of the members here have but, I do own and shoot all you are talking about. The FA83/454 I had to get because it was the best production revolver made. The revolver did not disappoint. It has the accuracy, craftsmanship, and strength everyone talks about. It seems to make you a better shooter. [at least in my case] Drawback [if you could call it that] is you have to keep it clean or it locks up because of the tight tolerances. The BFR is not as "refined" but it is definitely not lacking. It has the accuracy and strength to handle all of its chamberings and it does it well. [and you can shoot more rounds before you have to clean it up] The custom route gives you a revolver tailored for your personal likes. I have to agree with the advise some of the others have already given about not going with the 454 in a Blackhawk as a custom and buying one already chambered as such. On my last note [JMHO] I would take a good look at the 480/475 chamberings.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: dhom] #201381 08/24/2019 10:43 AM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
Whit, it?s definitely possible I had a lemon. I really wanted to like that gun.

Also, all my accuracy tests were done at 100 yards. For me, 50 yards with an optic topped revolver isn?t far enough to show what the true accuracy is.

I'm glad you and many others have had better experiences. If I ever buy another SA, however, I will probably search for a used FA.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Randy M] #201384 08/24/2019 11:44 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
RANDY: WAY BACK WHEN YOU WERE GOING TO BUY A XVR I THINK I RECOMMENDED THE PC GUN OVER THE STANDARD 8 3/8ths, BUT YOU WENT WITH THE STANDARD, THEN WENT WITH A BFR, AND NOW TO A 10.5 INCH PC XVR, WHERE YOU FINALLY SEEM TO HAVE FOUND WHAT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR, YOU SHUDA LISTENED TO UNCLE REY AND SAVED A LOT OF MONEY.

WAS WONDERING WHY YOU HAD GONE FROM THE BFR BACK TO A XVR, NOW "I KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY".

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: 45MAN] #201385 08/24/2019 12:03 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN
RANDY: WAY BACK WHEN YOU WERE GOING TO BUY A XVR I THINK I RECOMMENDED THE PC GUN OVER THE STANDARD 8 3/8ths, BUT YOU WENT WITH THE STANDARD, THEN WENT WITH A BFR, AND NOW TO A 10.5 INCH PC XVR, WHERE YOU FINALLY SEEM TO HAVE FOUND WHAT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR, YOU SHUDA LISTENED TO UNCLE REY AND SAVED A LOT OF MONEY.

WAS WONDERING WHY YOU HAD GONE FROM THE BFR BACK TO A XVR, NOW "I KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY".

Yep you did.

Yes I should have.

I have a slight stubborn side to me...

Last edited by Randy M; 08/24/2019 12:07 PM.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Randy M] #201386 08/24/2019 12:28 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Whit, it?s definitely possible I had a lemon. I really wanted to like that gun.

Also, all my accuracy tests were done at 100 yards. For me, 50 yards with an optic topped revolver isn?t far enough to show what the true accuracy is.

I'm glad you and many others have had better experiences. If I ever buy another SA, however, I will probably search for a used FA.

I have found that if it?ll group at 50 it?ll group at 100, particularly if it?ll shoot sub-inch groups at 50. The accuracy doesn?t go away at 100 yards. The range I was shooting at was limited to 50 yards or I would?ve gone out farther.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: MS Hitman] #201389 08/24/2019 1:42 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: MS Hitman

I had a Super Redhawk in .454, and it is one of the few handguns I was happy to sell. It should have never been made a six shot in my not so humble opinion. It would choke on loads the Raging Bull had no problem handling.

If you look around, used FA revolvers can be found for not much more than the cost of a Performance Center BFR.

I?m not sure I follow. How would your SRH ?choke on? loads the Raging Bull had no problem handling? The six-shot configuration doesn?t seem to be problematic in my experience.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Whitworth] #201392 08/24/2019 2:42 PM
MS Hitman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Each firearm is a law unto itself and your mileage obviously varies from mine.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: MS Hitman] #201393 08/24/2019 2:48 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: MS Hitman
Each firearm is a law unto itself and your mileage obviously varies from mine.

Rob, just looking for a clarification. What do you mean by ?choke on??

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Whitworth] #201395 08/24/2019 3:35 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Rob and I were hunting groundhogs in WV with his new .454 SuperRedhawk. Had cylinder rotation problem, so-so accuracy, cylinder rotating backwards. Nice looking gun, but poor performer.
I still wanted one. Bought it. Sent it to Ken Kelly before I ever fired it. Told him to make it right. He did all his fancy/practical upgrades. Now it shoots greats. Handles all the full power loads my FA .454 and Raging Bull do. I feel this gun has to be tweaked by a pro to perform the way it should. Ruger wasn't up to that on the originals.
As far as the .454/.475 question. I have each in 7 1/2" FAs. They perform great. Both will do 1 1/2- 2" at 100 when I do my part. I feel the .454 is a pretty much SOFT do everything gun. It'll kill the great big boys, but not much margin for error.
The .475 is a step above the .454 in power. I've done water buff, Cape buff, lioness,and rhino with mine. Did great on all. I carry it as a backup on WV bear hunts, plus killed one with it. Also had a wounded bear come at me growling. He melted at 6 feet with a center chest shot. I consider it and my .500s my big boy guns.
A note on Raging Bulls. I have them in .41, .454,.500. Zero problems. Close to FA accuracy. Greatest revolver grip made.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Randy M] #201396 08/24/2019 3:37 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN

Yep you did.

Yes I should have.

I have a slight stubborn side to me...

Yeah, but now you have no regrets either. Those big pc guns are just too big to shoot offhand but i do love the 7.5? version. But those barrel lengths just dont give me much over my fa83?s. That said,, an xvr 8 3/8? 460 is what My son used in africa. Easy to shoot.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: wvhitman] #201402 08/24/2019 5:21 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: wvhitman
Rob and I were hunting groundhogs in WV with his new .454 SuperRedhawk. Had cylinder rotation problem, so-so accuracy, cylinder rotating backwards. Nice looking gun, but poor performer.
I still wanted one. Bought it. Sent it to Ken Kelly before I ever fired it. Told him to make it right. He did all his fancy/practical upgrades. Now it shoots greats. Handles all the full power loads my FA .454 and Raging Bull do. I feel this gun has to be tweaked by a pro to perform the way it should. Ruger wasn't up to that on the originals.
As far as the .454/.475 question. I have each in 7 1/2" FAs. They perform great. Both will do 1 1/2- 2" at 100 when I do my part. I feel the .454 is a pretty much SOFT do everything gun. It'll kill the great big boys, but not much margin for error.
The .475 is a step above the .454 in power. I've done water buff, Cape buff, lioness,and rhino with mine. Did great on all. I carry it as a backup on WV bear hunts, plus killed one with it. Also had a wounded bear come at me growling. He melted at 6 feet with a center chest shot. I consider it and my .500s my big boy guns.
A note on Raging Bulls. I have them in .41, .454,.500. Zero problems. Close to FA accuracy. Greatest revolver grip made.

If ya want more than a 454 go 500. I dont feel the 475 does much of anything better than a 454 unless youre gonna use cast. Use monometals or premium expanding bullets and velocity becomes king. Then again theres those that think a 480 is a bigger hammer than a 460.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: tradmark] #201403 08/24/2019 5:52 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Srabbit, with all the posts, have you decided which handgun you will get????

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: jamesfromjersey] #201408 08/24/2019 8:02 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Yeah, pick one and go. Theyll all work well if loaded and shot properly.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Whitworth] #201411 08/24/2019 9:51 PM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran
I have sent,not one, but two Super Redhawks in .454 back to Ruger for reverse cylinder rotation.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: cmnash] #201446 08/26/2019 12:23 PM
Ramjet-SS Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Isn?t the S&W 460 XVR a gain twist?

Could this account for velocity differences between it and the BFR?

You can't fix stupid!
Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Ramjet-SS] #201447 08/26/2019 1:01 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
Possibly. But I think the cylinder gap is more likely the cause.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Randy M] #201448 08/26/2019 1:40 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Theres an interesting article about the cylinder to forcing cone length jump amd velocity article from years ago when looking at the actual increase in velocity that was seen when testing revolvers vs semi autos and the higher velocity out of the revolvers despite not have longer barrels. Yes cylinder gap helps as well but its been my experience that even the 500?s without gain twist rifling are significantly slower than their bfr counterparts. I also dont know how much the long cylinder affects accuracy since mine have been very accurate as well as the smiths. That said, in response to what has been or needed to be sent back; ive had 6 fa guns. Two had to go back due to having chambers too tight. One was a serial breaker of firing pins until they addressed that issue. One had the ability to get to the half cock position not work after a few months. Fa?s customer is exemplary and all guns fixed and returned in no time. Ive sent lots of my smiths back. Great guns but just not too durable if shot alot with heavy loads. Only guns i havent sent back are the bfr?s and ive been really fortunate with my super redhawks.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: tradmark] #201454 08/26/2019 5:21 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
One thing really cool about Magnum Research is the fact that they keep making refinements and actually listen to their customers. My .454 was just equipped with their new wide-spur hammer. Just got it today and really like it thus far.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: jamesfromjersey] #201457 08/26/2019 5:55 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Srabbit, with all the posts, have you decided which handgun you will get????

Now I'm thinking of the 6.5" BRF in 454 or a similar length FA 83 in .454. It sounds like the 454 has all the power I'll need with commercial ammo that is more widely available than 460, 475, 480, etc. I'm not going to reload because I don't want to add that hobby to my life.

I like the idea of the .475 Linebaugh, much like I like the idea of eating fish, but the reality of finding commercial 475 in a state that mucks-up on-line orders is like living with the taste of fish.

Last edited by TheSavageRabbit; 08/26/2019 6:50 PM.
Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: TheSavageRabbit] #201458 08/26/2019 6:53 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Recoil question. Until my 7.5" PC 460, I had very limited experience with hard kicking pistols. The 44 mag was basically my limit with the exception of some 300 grain Corbon .45 Colt I detonated in my Blackhawk.

In the PC 7.5" 460, any 454 I've shot has been mild on recoil. It's 5 lbs with a muzzle brake and very effective rubber grips.

What am I in for with a 454 in a FA or BFR-weight pistol? I know the recoil will be worse. But how much worse? Do people usually port the barrels on 454 single actions?

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: TheSavageRabbit] #201459 08/26/2019 7:21 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist

I installed a brake after I injured the wrist of my shooting hand.
I look at all of the beautiful God given game I`ve taken with that 454 as either pre or post brake... That Shiras moose taken in the mountains of Utah was pre-brake

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: TheSavageRabbit] #201460 08/26/2019 7:41 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist

Now I'm thinking of the 6.5" BRF in 454 or a similar length FA 83 in .454. It sounds like the 454 has all the power I'll need with commercial ammo that is more widely available than 460, 475, 480, etc. I'm not going to reload because I don't want to add that hobby to my life.

Here it is - 6 1/2-inch Bisley in .454 Casull.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: jamesfromjersey] #201461 08/26/2019 7:45 PM
MS Hitman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have not ported the barrel on but two revolvers, and only because it was part of the conversion packages. Recoil is subjective, and difficult to quantity from one person to the next. I recommend you shoot both revolvers if possible to see how they feel to you.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Whitworth] #201464 08/26/2019 9:21 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

Here it is - 6 1/2-inch Bisley in .454 Casull.

Max, thanks. I'll take that one!

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: TheSavageRabbit] #201472 08/27/2019 1:16 AM
Jeffrey G. Offline
Looks like a good one from BFR in 454 Casull in that picture. Bisley grip and that wider hammer spur are the berries. I would have Mag-Na-Port do their dual trapezoidal porting on it if you get it. Worth the investment in my opinion. Or get a 5 inch muzzle brake equipped 460 Smith and Wesson magnum and use it as a 454 Casull platform.

Last edited by Jeffrey G.; 08/27/2019 1:18 AM.

Jeffrey G. Locke
Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: Jeffrey G.] #201480 08/27/2019 5:06 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
This morning I woke-up thinking I deserve the best. So, a Premier Grade 83 is front and center in my mind today.

Re: BFR 454 vs FA 454 vs Ruger Custom (about 6.5") [Re: TheSavageRabbit] #201482 08/27/2019 5:39 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Its kinda the best. Its the tightest fitted but not functionally the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 42 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod