Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Our future; hunting in the crosshairs #201535 08/29/2019 3:31 AM
Handgun400 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Something I?ve wanted to do for a long time is to develop a platform to address and openly discuss the biggest and most dangerous threats to our shared past time and the most effective control of game species across the globe; sport hunting. We?ve all seen the attacks from PETA and lesser but every bit as detrimental from ALF and ELF domestic terrorist groups who will stop at nothing to advance their agenda. But what about those lesser issues that divide us? Just thinking before clocking in to work about some of those dividing factors:
Trophy hunting snobbery
Lack of hunter recruitment, am I doing my part?
Lack of hunter retention
Costs associated with land use
Costs associated with licensing
Regulatory restrictions; no lead, restricted access etc
Public opportunities; growing or diminishing?
Elitism among the methods of taking game
Illegal methods (I loathe the term ?poaching?)
The outlaw element i.e. blood, guts and antler/feather/fur all for the picture
Social media
Game shaming; that belittling of hunters who take lesser or younger bucks

These are a start. Let?s talk about this. Give me your thoughts. Let?s make it better.

My filter is broken.
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Handgun400] #201536 08/29/2019 2:01 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
One of the biggest issues I see that plagues us as a group is the fact that we are chronically divided. We make up a small corner of the hunting fraternity and can't seem to support each other or our efforts collectively. What we do is tougher than rifle hunting, and we should all be proud of that fact and I think that we should all make the effort to recruit others to take on the "hard way" to hunt. We can't expect to fight off the anti-hunting forces of the world when we can't even muster a united front. We eat our own....

I've spent the last dozen years plus promoting this wonderful activity and I will tirelessly continue.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Whitworth] #201537 08/29/2019 3:10 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
One of the biggest issues I see that plagues us as a group is the fact that we are chronically divided. We make up a small corner of the hunting fraternity and can't seem to support each other or our efforts collectively. What we do is tougher than rifle hunting, and we should all be proud of that fact and I think that we should all make the effort to recruit others to take on the "hard way" to hunt. We can't expect to fight off the anti-hunting forces of the world when we can't even muster a united front. We eat our own....

I've spent the last dozen years plus promoting this wonderful activity and I will tirelessly continue.

I agree with you. But it goes beyond our normal 'between season' arguments of revolver vs. close breech, BFR vs. FA, etc.

In my opinion it's how we represent ourselves to the rest of the hunting community. I see a lot of arrogance in just the fact that we hunt with a handgun as opposed to a rifle or whatever. There is too much 'we choose harder so we are better -
deal with it!' as opposed to 'we choose a shorter barrel because it heightens our experience - can I help you try it?'.

Last edited by Randy M; 08/29/2019 3:11 PM.

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Randy M] #201538 08/29/2019 3:15 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
And I'm not indicting or pointing the finger here. It's something we all need to check ourselves at the door on.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Randy M] #201539 08/29/2019 4:40 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
It's one thing to help folks on the forums or social media who have handgun hunting questions.
It starts at home.
Helping people learn the fundamentals, and helping them get started.
On a regular basis I help and even loan out guns and gear for newcomers to use to hunt.
Not just handguns, but rifles as well.
Last year a friend had a rifle of mine for a couple of months during elk season.
Right now a different friend has a different rifle for antelope and elk.
In each case they are only paying for whatever ammunition is shot up.
Also, I took a newbie out last year after multiple range times. He wanted to hunt with his grandfathers mauser rifle. When the moment of truth came, he kept missing with that rifle.
Since he had done shooting with some of my XP's we switched guns and he made a 1-shot kill with my 6 Creed XP.
Just this week, a married couple is considering using a couple of my XP's for all of their big game hunting. This past June they spent a couple of days shooting at steel out to about a grand with them.
Yes, I am more generous with my guns than some would be.
I have been blessed and I enjoy sharing.
I will kill a doe or a fawn or a calf or a cow elk and enjoy the meat or share it with someone.
I can't change or fix a lot of problems mentioned in the original post, but I can help those around me or those who are in contact with me.
Be a mentor, teacher, encourager, and helper to those who are interested in shooting in general and or hunting, regardless of the type of weapon you use or they want to use.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Ernie] #201540 08/29/2019 5:24 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Ernie
Be a mentor, teacher, encourager, and helper to those who are interested in shooting in general and or hunting, regardless of the type of weapon you use or they want to use.

I couldn't agree more.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Randy M] #201543 08/29/2019 5:45 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Randy M

In my opinion it's how we represent ourselves to the rest of the hunting community. I see a lot of arrogance in just the fact that we hunt with a handgun as opposed to a rifle or whatever. There is too much 'we choose harder so we are better -
deal with it!' as opposed to 'we choose a shorter barrel because it heightens our experience - can I help you try it?'.

Maybe I'm more competitive minded than some, but I am proud of the fact that what we do is harder. It takes more work to master, more practice, endurance, discipline, perseverance - all facets that I love about competition, and that love has guided me through many life decisions I've made, not to choose the easy path. I don't know how deeply your involvement in the industry goes, but I have endured the attacks from the rifle set with every article I get published, and it has been challenging to educate them (if it's possible) on some level. I don't look at standing up as arrogance, but we get nowhere if we retreat.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Whitworth] #201544 08/29/2019 6:19 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
I don't look at standing up as arrogance, but we get nowhere if we retreat.

Well I tried to be diplomatic, but you called yourself out on this one. You connected a lack of arrogance with retreating. When in fact, it's quite the opposite.

You ever stop and ask yourself, why you are constantly attacked? It isn't because you hunt with a handgun...

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Randy M] #201547 08/29/2019 6:39 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
BTW, I tried to PM you but your inbox must be full. If you'd like to talk offline, send me a PM and I'll forward my cell.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Randy M] #201548 08/29/2019 6:55 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I don't look at standing up as arrogance, but we get nowhere if we retreat.

Well I tried to be diplomatic, but you called yourself out on this one. You connected a lack of arrogance with retreating. When in fact, it's quite the opposite.

You ever stop and ask yourself, why you are constantly attacked? It isn't because you hunt with a handgun...

I didn't call myself out, I stated that I believe that by being a wilting lily under fire, we aren't advancing our cause. If that makes you uncomfortable, I am sorry. There's a difference between defending our way of hunting and "being arrogant." When you publish, you paint a large target on your backside. It's just a fact of life. It's something you grow accustomed to - or not.

I'm not arrogant, Randy. Do you publish? I only ask as handgun hunting articles (in general hunting magazines) are routinely attacked by those who believe what we do is a stunt. It is usually loaded with a liberal dose of muzzle energy mumbo jumbo. My handgun hunting articles are centered on embracing the challenge similar to bow hunting. I'm never attacked for claiming my way is better, it's always that my choice in firearms is inadequate.

If the fact that I have opinions (that have been formed through experience) makes me arrogant in your eyes, or it makes you uncomfortable, I don't know what to tell you. We clearly have different approaches to life.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Randy M] #201550 08/29/2019 7:13 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
BTW, I tried to PM you but your inbox must be full. If you'd like to talk offline, send me a PM and I'll forward my cell.

Try again, I just deleted a bunch of PMs...

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Whitworth] #201551 08/29/2019 7:25 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Crash and burn.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Zee] #201552 08/29/2019 7:27 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Zee
Crash and burn.

How so, Zee?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Whitworth] #201553 08/29/2019 7:31 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
The irony requires no explanation.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Zee] #201556 08/29/2019 8:06 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Bitter, drinking, or both?

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: tradmark] #201557 08/29/2019 8:09 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Crash and burn, no cause for that. Problems bw members should be handled off board. Especially if one doesnt even know theres a problem.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: tradmark] #201558 08/29/2019 8:09 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Neither.

Referencing the thread. It?s ironic.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Zee] #201559 08/29/2019 8:25 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
Just had a good conversation off-line with Max. That?s how this should have been dealt with in the beginning. My apologies.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Randy M] #201560 08/29/2019 8:29 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Its an emotional topic and generally we all get along and talking in person conveys the correct meaning and emotions we meant to convey. Then, some stir the pot and the meanings are cutting and bad or are they? No one knows but the pot stirrers are consistent. Easy to tell who those are. So crash and burn is about the thread?

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: tradmark] #201562 08/29/2019 9:18 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The real crash and burn = Alfred J. Goreg

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: tradmark] #201563 08/29/2019 9:32 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Here's my take on the future of hunting, not just handgun hunting. I know that I'm going to get some that will paint everything like roses, but unfortunately that's not the reality. The truth is that less people hunt today. That is a fact. People don't want to hunt and kill their food, they want to go to the grocery store and buy it. Kids today do not want to be outside or even play outside. They are glued to their phones or computers. The same goes for their parents. Everyone on any form of social media spends all of their time pouting about Democrats or Republicans, right wing or left wing, this or that..etc
When it comes to handgun hunting, just keep it real...95 percent of handgun hunters only want to hunt deer and only care about deer, and that is cool, fine, awesome, etc....they could care less about jet setting adventures....most people struggle to buy guns and bullets in general..this hobby is not a necessity...that is the facts....people relate to average, down to earth, blue collar people, not to the Ernest Hemmingways of the world.....keep it simple....357 and 44's...Sierras and XTPs, like them or not, that's what people buy in volume...keep the sport attainable (financially) and maybe that may help...our group is NOT growing, simply because it is not easy......Folks today want easy....agree or not, I don't care, that's just my take.....I wish that it was different

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Franchise] #201564 08/29/2019 9:38 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Deer (whitetail and Muley), antelope, and elk are my mainstays.
Even adding in my South African or New Zealand animals, it is basically elk size and below.
Hunted since I was a kid and have never hunted what is described as dangerous game.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Ernie] #201565 08/29/2019 10:19 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Franchise, you are right. Cant even get kids hiking or fishing these days on average. That said, this is hard. No two ways about it. Thats a big reason trad archery isnt as popular as compounds and crossbows. Its hard. I dont care what anyone is hunting. We all have our thing. I dont care if its rifles pistols or what kind of pistols. Its hunting and its fun. Fences or no. Doesnt matter.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Ernie] #201567 08/29/2019 11:08 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The times have most certainly changed.... Looked at the last issue of Handguns magazine and every article was on a black semi-auto with one review of a S&W revolver.. Guess what caliber for the S&W?? 10mm.... How many times have I heard handgun hunters say they love reading their old issues of Shooting Times and Guns and Ammo because there is nothing in today`s mags for handgun hunters... The men who wrote these articles (Keith - Skelton -Cooper) are no longer with us. There are people here who don`t even know who these man are...
Many of us grew up in an atmosphere that encouraged handgun hunting because of what we read... When was the last article about our sport in any of today`s popular magazines you could purchase at a news stand?? Two scope companies dropped their handgun line because of lack of sale.. Handgun hunting is alive but just barely....However, take comfort in this site... Good, bad or indifferent its the only web site dedicated to handgun hunting... Posted below is one of many of the handgun hunting ONLY magazines published back in the day. It would be great to buy a similar magazine today.... If you find one let me know..

Life member-NRA-SCI
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: jamesfromjersey] #201571 08/29/2019 11:53 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
THE ORIGINAL POST WAS ABOUT THREATS TO HUNTING IN GENERAL, AND NOT THREATS TO HANDGUN HUNTING IN PARTICULAR. FEWER HUNTERS MAY BE THE BIGGEST THREAT TO HUNTING, SO IT IS IMPOTANT THAT WE STICK TOGETHER. WHY DO WE HAVE FEWER HUNTERS? WE ARE BECOMING MORE URBANIZED, WITH FEWER PEOPLE LIVING IN RURAL AREAS, URBANIZATION OF RURAL (HUNTING) GROUNDS, OTHER RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES, AND, IN MANY PLACES, THE COST OF HUNTING. IN TEXAS, WHERE MOST HUNTING LAND IS PRIVATE, GOOD HUNTING LEASES ARE PRICEY, AND MANY BEYOND THE REACH OF TOO MANY.

I AM GLAD I AM A HUNTER, BUT I AM PROUD THAT I AM A HANDGUN HUNTER, AND YES IT IS HARDER THAN RIFLE HUNTING. BUT I ADMIRE GOOD RIFLEMEN, PEOPLE WHO PRACTICE, KNOW HOW TO MATCH RIFLE, CALIBER AND LOADS TO THE QUARRY, AND CAN SHOOT. I DO NOT KNOW THE STATISTICS BUT WOULD GUESS THAT EXCEPT FOR THE AR GUYS 90+% OF RIFLE DEER HUNTERS HARDLY EVER PRACTICE, JUST USUALLY SIGHTING AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON.

YOU COULD WRITE A BOOK ON THIS TOPIC, BUT I GOT SOME FOOTBALL TO WATCH.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: jamesfromjersey] #201572 08/29/2019 11:57 PM
Handgun400 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Just a few posts in to this thread and BOOM. There it is. Infighting is going to be our downfall. We are greater together than apart and we will ONLY survive together. And I mean ALL forms of hunting.

The Zebco 33 fishing crowd has been pushed out by the Abu and diawas. Those in torn have been snubbed by the Orvis dry flying crowd. Crossbows by compounds by recurved by longbows by self-bows.

In the words of one beat to Hell Rodney King; can?t we all just get along? Positivity, involving outsiders, recruiting riflehunters. Gasp!

Numbers have been declining for two decades. It?s our fault. I?m waving my hand and standing up to take responsibility. Now, how do we fix it?

I appreciate ALL of the responses more than you know and absolutely love this community.

My filter is broken.
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Handgun400] #201573 08/30/2019 12:25 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Take your kids or someone else's kids hunting. Take your girlfriend or wife hunting. Make it fun..keep it as simple as possible. Promote things that would appeal over a broad spectrum, and lead by example. Take the lead by example to heart...if you want to encourage someone to deer hunt, you have to actually do it yourself. I love big bores and heavy kickers, but they appeal to only a MINUTE few. Tell the truth....357, 41, 44's work great for what nearly everyone will ever hunt. Kids love squirrels, rabbits, foxes, etc...they love action, start with small game and work up....that's how we can help

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Handgun400] #201574 08/30/2019 12:30 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
No more "hero`s"... John Taffin is not a tall person but when I first met him I said "John.. I thought you were ten feet tall"... I said this because after all the years of reading his handgun articles he became a hero to me... Someone whose word I trusted because he spoke the truth... To this day I still have three Al Goerg books. These were some of the men who gave me direction and believe me when I say an aspiring handgun hunter living in New Jersey needs direction.. Outside of JT who is left?? I may not know all there is to know about hunting with a handgun but if anyone wants or needs to talk about it just say the word.. A PM away...

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: jamesfromjersey] #201576 08/30/2019 1:08 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I am a hunter. I use the legal means I choose at the time or place to accomplish the goal I desire or need at the time and place.

Handgun
Rifle
Bow
Knife
Spear
Rock
Stick
Trophy
Subsistence
Culling
Etc

I am an American

Black
White
Yellow
Brown
Green
Blue
Chartreuse
Pink

When we put ourselves or others in a box with a label, we create division. Create division and you create tension.

The difficulty or ease of a hunt stems from many variables to include but not limited to the tool used. The list of factors can be quite long. I?ve seen easy hunts with just about every method above. And hard ones as well.

To be welcomed and accepted.......you can?t be a douche.

To promote your cause, you can?t be an ass.

To be inviting you must be accepting.

Just thoughts. There are more.

I just love being outside and hunting. Regardless the mood and method.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: jamesfromjersey] #201577 08/30/2019 1:09 AM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
I don't see it as doom and gloom. In my country I believe there has been a turn around. For the decades following the seventies the shooting sports suffered a decline both in participant numbers and in public perception. A decade I looked around at major national competition and realised that aged in my 50's I was one of the youngest present. However the wheel moves on and society changes. Everytime I visit ranges now I'm impressed by the number of younger members attending, both individuals and families. Also the number of Game Licences are now at an all time high as are the number of hunters booking overseas hunting trips.

We need to be able to distinguish between reality and noise. The anti-everything mob is extremely vocal as is the attempt to portray veganism as main stream. These people are well integrated into media and Government advisory positions which gives them the impression of substance. But its only an impression.

In the real world people are people and they are rediscovering that hunting is part of human nature.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Franchise] #201579 08/30/2019 2:08 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Franchise
Take your kids or someone else's kids hunting. Take your girlfriend or wife hunting. Make it fun..keep it as simple as possible. Promote things that would appeal over a broad spectrum, and lead by example. Take the lead by example to heart...if you want to encourage someone to deer hunt, you have to actually do it yourself. I love big bores and heavy kickers, but they appeal to only a MINUTE few. Tell the truth....357, 41, 44's work great for what nearly everyone will ever hunt. Kids love squirrels, rabbits, foxes, etc...they love action, start with small game and work up....that's how we can help

You and Ernie are on the ball. 👍🏻

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Zee] #201580 08/30/2019 2:20 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I know Zee is constantly helping others.
I know a number of folks who are always ready to help, teach, and mentor regardless of the type of shooting or hunting.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Ernie] #201581 08/30/2019 2:34 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
None of us are born with knowledge. It?s passed down or gleaned from experience.

Our task is to do the same.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Zee] #201584 08/30/2019 2:46 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Absolutely, question is how to get more kids out there and enjoy the outdoors and want to hunt. They need opportunity and mentors of which im sure most here are willing to do. I have friends and colleagues take there kids to my land and shoot a deer. I think franchise hit the nail on the head when he talked about the techno issue. I see kiddos in my clinic everyday and very few can be bothered to get their hands off the ipad or the phone their parents got em at age 5 to look up and answer questions. Its not just the technology, sports participation is down. Mommies get mad when the coach is too tough on their kids. Boxing was the number one participation sport in the 30?s and 40?s. Now it has less participation than transgender knitting classes. To get kids outside is an act of god nowadays. This is a huge battle we face. Sure theres good kiddos out there still but its a game of percentages. The name of the game today is instant gratification.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: tradmark] #201587 08/30/2019 3:35 AM
Handgun400 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Divisiveness and lack of recruitment seem to be at the forefront of the conversation. Applause to Zee, Ernie, Franchise and everyone else who is taking people-age regardless- hunting.

Admittedly, I belong to an exclusive LLC that has ?trophy? buck standards and guest restrictions. It costs a lot of money to buy into and maintain. Over 90% of my home state is privately owned and very few owners give unrestricted access. Those who do usually don?t for long. Gates left open, litter everywhere, but piles in inconvenient and unthoughtful locations etc. So now there is leasing costs. From $5/acre up is not uncommon.

There are a thousand variables I/we can?t control. But for those we can, we must.

My filter is broken.
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Handgun400] #201588 08/30/2019 4:42 AM
Craig44 Offline
addict
addict
In my opinion, life is way too short to spend much time worrying about what other people think. Do your own thing, what makes you happy and make no apologies for it. Everything else is just background noise.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Craig44] #201615 08/30/2019 6:08 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
I think the issue of declining hunting numbers has a deeper cause, which is the general push that anything firearms related is evil.

Look back to the day when a high school parking lot was filled with pickups with rifle racks and even rifles and shotgun in the back window. Today, the mere mention of going shooting throws the entire school into lockdown and brings out the SWAT team in full tactical gear. I vividly remember being in 3rd grade in my Cub Scout uniform with a pocket knife prominently hanging off of a clip on my belt. Today, that would result in being expelled.

Kids are indoctrinated from an early age that guns = evil. Unless you grow up in a household that is active in the shooting sports by the time a kid reaches the age where they can actually go shooting they have already been brainwashed to view firearms as bad or evil things and that people who own firearms are dangerous people. I get where Handgun400 is coming from, however IMHO declining numbers of hunters are a symptom of the larger systemic problem. Until we as a firearms and 2A community can come together and start pushing back in unison, little will change with respect to declining numbers.

The shooting community is currently fighting a loosing battle against a slanted news media that continually beats the drum in the push to further restrict our rights. A great example is so called ?assault weapons?. Whether or not you own, like, or shoot, AR-15 or other evil black rifles is immaterial, we need to be defending the right to own them. I can?t even count the number of shooters I have met that have expressed the opinion that ?nobody needs a military weapon like that? but are perfectly comfortable with their Springfield 03 or M1 Garand. Red Flag Laws are another prime example. Any body that tells me RFLs are not just a tool to further disarm the population is lying to themselves or to me.

We as a hunting community need to do our part. Take a kid hunting, take a kid shooting, even if it is just backyard fun with a Nerf or BB gun, that is progress, and we can work with that. But in addition to that we as firearms owners need to be involved on the political front. Join a grassroots local political group and get involved. Getting one kid involved in shooting does little good if your representatives are unopposed in taking huge bites out of our rights on the legislative end. Today it is "assault rifles", tomorrow it will be semi-auto firearms, after that will be "high powered sniper rifles", then "ultra powerful magnum handguns", ad infinium until it becomes so onerous to own a firearm that even those who are interested decide it is not worth the trouble to do so.

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: 98Redline] #201618 08/30/2019 8:54 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Well, make that two rifles out the door in the last week and a half to younger hunters. Both of them are in their mid to late 20?s.
6.5 Creed and a 28 Nosler. Both LH actions for two lefty hunters.
Both are Wyoming boys.
Only have one more rifle set up for hunting...Remington 700 AAC-SD in 308 Winchester with a 10x Super Sniper scope on it.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: Ernie] #201620 08/31/2019 12:23 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Ernie
Well, make that two rifles out the door in the last week and a half to younger hunters. Both of them are in their mid to late 20?s.
6.5 Creed and a 28 Nosler. Both LH actions for two lefty hunters.
Both are Wyoming boys.
Only have one more rifle set up for hunting...Remington 700 AAC-SD in 308 Winchester with a 10x Super Sniper scope on it.

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 well done

Re: Our future; hunting in the crosshairs [Re: tradmark] #201621 08/31/2019 12:38 AM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
Uncle Ernie, you?re a true ambassador for hunters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod