Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Arthritis and shooting #202075 09/19/2019 7:50 AM
junebug Offline OP
Gun Slinger
OP Offline
Gun Slinger
Went shooting today and took the .44 special flat top, 41 mag Black Hawk, old model 3 screw 357 and old model 3 screw 22. The 44 has wood grips and hurts my thumb.Did some experimenting with my grip.Never found a comfortable grip on the wood.The 41 Hogues with most of the palm swell removed, 357 has Pachmayrs and the 22,Uncle Mikes[copy of the Pachs] don't hurt. About 80 rounds of big bore and some .22 and tonight the arthritis in my hands is kicking my a@#. Fingers are stiff and don't want to bend .Know I am not the only one who deals with Arthritis in my hands and wrists, its just part of getting older.Going to have to do something about the grips on the .44 would like to find some Pachs but it is a xr3 grip frame and nothing fits. The .22 grips come closest but a no go so may look into changing the grip frame.So what do the rest of you do when you hurt? I'm going to lay off the .44 for awhile till I do something about the grips.

junebug
Re: Arthritis and shooting [Re: junebug] #202077 09/19/2019 11:16 AM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
ARNICA GEL WORKS REAL GOOD FOR ACHES, PAINS, INFLAMATIONS, EVEN ON THE HURT PLACE IF YOU HAVE A BOUT OF THE GOUT. AVAILABLE AT WALGREEN'S HERE IN BROWNSVILLE, TEXAS. ALSO AVAILABLE AT WALGREEN's ARE TENS UNITS (ABOUT THE SIZE OF A CELL PHONE), THEY REALLY WORK FOR LONG LASTING ARTHRITIS RELIEF, INEXPENSIVE TOO. YOU WILL NEED A GEL ALSO, LIKE THE GOO THEY PUT ON YOU WHEN YOU EKG's AND THE LIKE, AS YOU DO NOT WANT TO APPLY THE TENS PADS DIRECT ON DRY SKIN. USUALLY 3 TENS TREATMENTS (1 A DAY), SKIP A COUPLE OF DAYS, 3 MORE TREATMENTS, AND YOU SHOULD SEE BIG TIME RESULTS.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: Arthritis and shooting [Re: 45MAN] #202082 09/19/2019 3:05 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Don't know if it will work on your hands, but Osteobiflex at WalMart has helped my arthritic knee a bunch. Takes 2-3 weeks to tell if it works. Being in the business I was in, I didn't have much faith in OTC drugs. Osteo surprised me and it was one of very few OTC meds I recommended to my patients. I'm still taking it. Not pain free, but better.

Re: Arthritis and shooting [Re: wvhitman] #202084 09/19/2019 6:06 PM
adbhowler Offline
Non traditional but it works for me. Since the days of teaching and participating in Martial Arts classes and competitions, I have used Tiger Balm. As I have progressed in age, I have noticed that it works well on the joints in my hands when we have weather changes or a long session at the range. I don't know if all pharmacies carry it but I know Walmart and Amazon do.

Best of luck and feel better soon.

Mike McBride
---------------
NRA Life Member

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 66 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod