Next Thread
Print Thread
? about www.mytopo.com #12291 01/01/2006 8:21 PM
RickyP Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Anyone use this website to build a map?

I am thinking about getting one but do not know how detailed they are. are they any good?
should I get the 36'x48" or 24"x36"
how about the regional topo or the detailed topo
I am thinking about the folded waterproof "outdoor" map or should I get the laminated map? This will be carried with me when hunting in my back pack

If I get one I know it will have the lat/lon grids so I can use it with my GPS but should I have the UTM grids ( what ever this is)
how about the shaded relief? should I get the standard or the enhanced map?
and anymore information about this web site will be a help.

The mapbook I have right now is not much help to me the aera I hunt is way too small in it.

Re: ? about www.mytopo.com [Re: RickyP] #12292 01/01/2006 8:28 PM
7STDUBBERU Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I bought one for my local area where I chase the local whitetails, the only downside to the maps are how old the photos are for the area you are buying. I bought my map about two years ago and I built my home 5 years before that and my house was not on the map, still all wooded. But they are clear and great for reference.

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
Re: ? about www.mytopo.com [Re: 7STDUBBERU] #12293 01/01/2006 11:59 PM
lastshot Offline
stranger
stranger
BUY A MAP ?? NO WAY!!!! EVERSENCE I GOT MY GPS I WILL NEVER BUY A MAP AGAIN. I DOWNLOAD MY GPS ONTO MY HOME COMPUTER. EACH TIME I GO OUT I ADD NEW WAYPOINTS. AND WHEN I COME HOME I DOWNLOAD ALL NEW PLACES OR SPOTS. YOU WILL SEE IT ALL COME TOGETHER. THEN FROM YOUR COMPUTER PRINT TWO COPYS ONE GOES IN A ZIPLOCK, AND THE OTHER ONE STAYS HOME OR AT CAMP TO LET SOMEONE KNOW WHERE YOU WILL BE. I HAVE FUN WITH MY GPS. I LIVE IN N.J. AND HAVE AN VERY DETAILED MAP OF MY HUNTING AREA IN MAINE. OTHER HUNTERS IN CAMP ARE ALLWAY ASKING TO SEE THE MAPS I HAVE PRINTED.

Re: ? about www.mytopo.com [Re: RickyP] #12294 01/02/2006 1:31 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
I use mytopo with great success, but I like my Lowrance iFinder Hunt GPS even better. I used it this time in Colorado for the first time and here in Pa as well. I think teh capabilities of downloading teh mapping software and Mapit programs is endless. The Topo's are very up-to-date and even include hiking trails and street names when you get to towns and cites. They are not chep, but like stated above, it's neat to download you waypoints and view them on your computer. PS-I use MyTopo Phot feature to download area photos of teh areas and use them for 'real' reference. Most are moder satellite shots and you can select the different scales as well. I carry these with me in Colorado as it is a little easier to see the slight differences in terrrain versus teh 50' or 100' grid lines. Good luck. I really recommend a GPS with mapping capability--but I still carry topo's and a real good compass!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: ? about www.mytopo.com [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #12295 01/02/2006 2:18 AM
RickyP Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I do not ahve taht fancy of a GPS. I only have the etrex the yellow one. and it works well for my needs.

Re: ? about www.mytopo.com [Re: RickyP] #12296 01/30/2006 3:05 AM
guns_and_labs Offline
stranger
stranger
I use it frequently, as I hunt different areas each year. I print exclusively the "detailed" maps, with Lat/Long. UTM's are useful for GPS's that don't convert to Lat/Long, but if you ever need a helo extraction (think MedEvac), they need Lat/Long. I also like the shaded feature, for when I'm planning the trip and trying to identify likely hiding spots.

Support your right to arm bears.
Re: ? about www.mytopo.com [Re: guns_and_labs] #12297 01/30/2006 4:04 PM
huntkng Offline
addict
addict
He said:
UTM's are useful for GPS's that don't convert to Lat/Long, but if you ever need a helo extraction (think MedEvac), they need Lat/Long.

I reply:

I think that you are backwards on that. I have helped training GPS to the sheriffs and US Forest Service. My friend trains smokejumpers in GPS. To the best of my knowledge they have all converted to UTM, so has the military. They can do the conversion to Lat/Long but (at least here in the west) their GPS gear is set for UTM, not Lat/long.

Bill in OR

Re: ? about www.mytopo.com [Re: RickyP] #12298 02/01/2006 12:11 AM
Gascheck Offline
UTM grids are definately the way to go. This grid divides the map into 1000 meter blocks. That's 1 kilometer for the metrically challenged :'). Hence the military jargon of "KLICKS" short for kilometer. Its easy to know at any time where you are on a topo because you can estimate meters with a large step. Generated maps from waypoints are great for areas you frequent often but when you go to new areas the UTM system can't be beat. I've used UTM and a topo of strange area I've never seen and but myself withing 35 feet of my destination after crossing 6 or 7 miles. Neat stuff!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod