Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Blew a near perfect opportunity this evening #203420 11/11/2019 1:46 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Opening weekend of muzzleloader season was uneventful until about an hour before the end of shooting light tonight. I had seven does in the field in front of me, unaware of my presence. From behind them, I saw another deer appear. Then, he picked up his head and I saw the decent rack on him. He was a shooter, a decent mainframe 8 point. I didn't have a rangefinder, but I was fairly certain he was in range. Still I wanted to wait for a better shot opportunity.

My heart pounding, I tried to get a better look at him. He walked toward the field edge to my left, blocked slightly by the trees. With the closest does scarcely 40 yards away, I was trying to be quiet and not alert them. As the buck walked back into view, I fumbled with my Encore but finally got it up. Before I could even think about pulling back the hammer, the buck took off towards the does. It would have been fine, if the biggest doe hadn't run back past him towards the far end of the field. I tried to blow some aggressive grunts on my grunt tube, but he didn't turn back. He never showed back up the entirety of the hunt.

I feel like I messed up the one shot opportunity I may ever get this season. I feel like I played it too safe. If I had been ready earlier, I could have got him as soon as he stopped. At the very least, I got out of there without any of them smelling me, so I'll be back in the morning. There's a big cold front coming through. I hope he, or at least another one like him, comes back.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Blew a near perfect opportunity this evening [Re: Chance Weldon] #203617 11/20/2019 11:00 PM
popo Offline
journeyman
journeyman
It happens sometimes no matter what we do.I had several decent bucks coming on my property just before gun season opened. Now all i see is the small bucks during daytime.last year i let them walk just so they could get bigger.First year since started hunting that i have not killed a deer during season.Like you dont know if i will see a decent one this year. Maybe your luck will change and you get a goodun.

Re: Blew a near perfect opportunity this evening [Re: popo] #203623 11/21/2019 2:16 AM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I hope you get a good shot at him tomorrow. I have passed 8 bucks in the last week and a half but finally got a big six point Monday morning. I hope to post pictures tomorrow if I have time. Good luck.

Michael Joe Moore
Re: Blew a near perfect opportunity this evening [Re: REDHAWK1954] #203686 11/23/2019 4:42 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
It is called hunting for a reason
\:\)

Some times you can do everything right, and the plan still will not come together.
The wife told me that we had Nine slick heads in the pasture beside the house yesterday evening late. Not a buck in sight however.
Good Luck on your hunt.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: Blew a near perfect opportunity this evening [Re: Chance Weldon] #203779 11/26/2019 12:46 AM
doulos Offline
Dont fret on playing it safe. I have thought that too for not taking shots I thought I could make and then not getting an opportunity. It happens to me bowhunting all the time.
I hope you get another opportunity.

Re: Blew a near perfect opportunity this evening [Re: Bob Roach] #203782 11/26/2019 1:39 AM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: Bob Roach
It is called hunting for a reason
\:\)

Some times you can do everything right, and the plan still will not come together.
The wife told me that we had Nine slick heads in the pasture beside the house yesterday evening late. Not a buck in sight however.
Good Luck on your hunt.

Bob R

Yep! Keep after them. It'll happen.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod