Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
10 draws blood and snake eyes #203605 11/20/2019 3:51 PM
Midwesthunter11 Offline OP
OP Offline
Opening weekend rocking the glock 40.I was hunting new to me public land. Didn't see anything opening day but lots of people. Sunday it got exciting I had a doe come out. I took a shot and several more before she went out of sight.... that's when I saw the 8 pter coming my way. I shot at him several times too! He eventually ran off and I heard shots from where both he and the doe ran off to. When I checked for blood only found some where the doe was as my buddy was coming out for the day. We tracked her into private with permission of course back onto public and never found her. Came back the next day even and searched but nothing. Ranged the doe at about 50 yards and the buck at around 70 after the fact. Way too far for my abilities. Oh well I guess buck fever got me . Going to spend more time shooting it out to 100 or so.

Re: 10 draws blood and snake eyes [Re: Midwesthunter11] #203607 11/20/2019 4:48 PM
Randy M Offline
veteran
veteran
Sorry you lost both deer. Unfortunately, the 'spray and pray' method usually results in this.

Like you said, hit the range and get dialed in!

The meat won't fry if the lead don't fly.
Re: 10 draws blood and snake eyes [Re: Sergio] #203614 11/20/2019 8:32 PM
Willicd76 Offline
Unbelievable

Re: 10 draws blood and snake eyes [Re: Willicd76] #203615 11/20/2019 9:14 PM
Midwesthunter11 Offline OP
OP Offline
Believe me no one feels worse than me.last thing a guy wants to do is wound a animal with any platform. No animal should of been wounded. Truth is I have seen bad shots with rifles and shotguns do the same. A bad shot is a bad shot with any weapon. Bad on me for not doing my part. Thanks for the honesty though perhaps that particular platform wasn't right to begin with. Maybe I will practice with something different. No hard feelings rather way

Re: 10 draws blood and snake eyes [Re: Willicd76] #203616 11/20/2019 9:29 PM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
I have to admit that a 10mm wouldn't be my first choice (not enough margin for error for some one as trigger happy as myself), but I set up a G40 for a good friend of mine with a vortex red dot and an aftermarket barrel (1" longer than factory) with compensator. From a truck hood with a bag under the front end I could easily group the Buffalo Barnes loads (155gn TAC-TX chronoed at 1500 fps from the gun) at <2" at 50 yards.
If you have a good shooting position (for me that means a rest), are shooting full power 10mm loads with quality bullets and restrict your self to good double lung shoots then it should work ok. You have to remember you are shooting something that specs out very close to a 357 mag on paper. There have been lots of discussions here about the suitability of a 357 and the number of deer lost using them.

My gripe about the pistol was the striker trigger. Difficult to shoot good freehand groups for me.

Re: 10 draws blood and snake eyes [Re: karl] #203618 11/21/2019 12:11 AM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I hunt with Glocks quite a bit. I don't have problems killing deer with them but I practice with them a lot. I only take good percentage shots. For your practice may I suggest cutting a cardboard life size deer target. Use a sharpy and draw in the vitals. Using what ever kind of shooting stick you will hunt with start out at 10 yards. If you can put 3 shots in 2" in the vitals back up 5 yards and do it again. If you can out 3 shots in 2" at 15 back up again another 5 yards. Continue to do this until you can't consistently put 3 shots in 2". Scoot back up to the range that you last did it. Practice from that distance each day around 20 shots then scoot back and see if your groups improve at the distance that you lost your ability to shoot consistently.

The more you do this the better you will get. As far as marginal power I have found that anything that runs at least 500ftlbs is sufficient on broadside shots with proper bullets.

If you are having trouble with the factory trigger there are numerous options for the Glocks. If you are not comfortable setting up a Glock trigger I am sure there is a local gun smith that can help. I run my Glock hunting triggers between 2.2 and 3.5 pounds depending on the gun.

I am sure nearly everyone on this forum has missed at one time or another. It happens. Don't let it get you down. Good luck in the future. This doe was shot at 41 yards with a 40 S&W. No problem and no tracking.

Shot at 71 yards with a 40.

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: 10 draws blood and snake eyes [Re: reflex264] #203629 11/21/2019 1:23 PM
jcp161 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
That's tough. Wounding and losing a deer always sucks. Sorry that it happened.

I'm interested in the responses regarding using the 10mm for hunting. I have a Glock 40 that has a Fastfire III mounted. I'm good out to 50 yards with it from a rest but was always concerned about it's ability to take down a deer in spite of the videos and other media to the contrary. I don't get enough opportunities where I want to give up the range or power of a larger caliber contender or revolver.

For me, if I were to use a 10, I'd keep the shots at bowhunting ranges. Look forward to reading more from others with more experience in this set up and yours when it happens.

Good luck when you get back out there.

Re: 10 draws blood and snake eyes [Re: jcp161] #203630 11/21/2019 1:39 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
I did extensive bullet testing when the .40 came out. Only used open sights. Max shot was 45-50.
Several bullets proved poor performers requiring multiple shots to put deer down (with good hits). Loosers were 155,180 XTPs,Gold Dots, 170 SWCs. The persistent good performer was the 165 gr. Sierra JHC. Never more than 2 shots, but usually only one to put deer down.
I don't know how this will translate to the 10MM, but it's the only bullet I use in my Sig .40.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod