Next Thread
Print Thread
Blackhawk Bisley vs standard grips and large hands #205166 01/19/2020 3:36 PM
karl Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hello All
So I'm relatively new to the revolver game and have some questions. I have a GP100 in 357 and Super Redhawk in 454 that I enjoy shooting and feel like they both fit my hands well. I have shot a friends blackhawk (standard grip)in 44 mag and really don't like shooting it. The bottom of the grip ends about a half inch short of the edge of my palm so with every shot, the sharp edge of the grip digs into my hand. I can take a couple shots and then i'm done with it (she is too as it does the same thing to her hands). I wear 2XL gloves in the winter and tight XL shooting gloves.

My question for the group is- Would a the Ruger Bisley grips fit my hand better and be a better shooting experience for me or should I stick to larger gripped guns?

There is a 45 colt Blackhawk Bisley available locally that I am interested in.

Thanks!

Re: Blackhawk Bisley vs standard grips and large hands [Re: karl] #205179 01/20/2020 3:25 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
If you can find a Blackhawk with a set of Hogue grips try it. The Hogue's are longer and have a bigger profile with a palm swell which should help you. Can't say how the Bisley would work for you .They beat hell out of my knuckle with the factory grip. If you can find one to try before you buy do that. After market grips are harder to find for the Bisley. I have a set of Eagle grips for mine and had to fit them to the frame.

junebug
Re: Blackhawk Bisley vs standard grips and large hands [Re: junebug] #205180 01/20/2020 12:10 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
if you or your friend has short fingers you may find the Hogue mono grip too big to get a comfortable grip with. you could also try pachmayr grips. these will cover the bottom of thr grip frame adding a small bit of length. Be carefull when getting grips that you get them for the right frame size. a blackhawk grip is NOT the same size as a super blackhawk. However a .44 mag 5.5 barrel sbh has a bh grip frame.................. OH GOOD LORD. JMHO, I prefer the plow handle over the Bisley, but the i grew up shooting the rx3red and the Bisley is just not quit right in my hand.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Blackhawk Bisley vs standard grips and large hands [Re: bluecow] #205204 01/22/2020 1:11 PM
jcp161 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I prefer the Bisley grip on the single action revolvers but admittedly almost all of my shooting experience is with double action S&W or Ruger revolvers.

I have tried the standard wood and aftermarket rubber grips on a Blackhawk and it never felt right. I would see if there was a gun with the Bisley grip at the local gun shop that you could handle. Or check the fit with the one you know of for sale. That would give you some idea as to fit.

Re: Blackhawk Bisley vs standard grips and large hands [Re: jcp161] #205226 01/24/2020 6:18 PM
cherokeetracker Offline
old hand
old hand
For those of you having problems there is a different approach. Google RW grip frames if the link below does not work.

https://rwgripframes-com.3dcartstores.com Ronnie has 30 different grip frames to offer. This is just the beginning.

There is a thread over on Singleactions.proboards.com

Re: Blackhawk Bisley vs standard grips and large hands [Re: junebug] #205624 02/16/2020 3:02 PM
Willicd76 Offline
 Originally Posted By: junebug
If you can find a Blackhawk with a set of Hogue grips try it. The Hogue's are longer and have a bigger profile with a palm swell which should help you. Can't say how the Bisley would work for you .They beat hell out of my knuckle with the factory grip. If you can find one to try before you buy do that. After market grips are harder to find for the Bisley. I have a set of Eagle grips for mine and had to fit them to the frame.

Does the new small frame flat top take the same grips as the full size Blackhawk?

Re: Blackhawk Bisley vs standard grips and large hands [Re: Willicd76] #205625 02/16/2020 3:44 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
No, it is the old xr3 grip frame.

junebug
Re: Blackhawk Bisley vs standard grips and large hands [Re: junebug] #205629 02/16/2020 11:36 PM
Jeffrey G. Offline
Try getting a hold of a BFR model from Magnum Research with their version of a Bisley grip. It is large and will work with your large hands. They have a BFR revolver now in 44 magnum that holds six rounds instead of five.

Jeffrey G. Locke

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 52 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod