Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2019 Missouri Deer Season #206155 03/23/2020 2:27 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
My 2019 Missouri Deer Season started about this time last year. Around March or April 2019 I started building the walls to put a roof on the wifes Tower Stand. I prefabricated the walls, and roof at the house. I then used a rope to raise the walls one side at a time. Using a ladder I installed the 2x6 rafters and then the 2x4 the metal roof would screw to. I installed all but the last sheet of metal roofing from the 5' ladder setting on the stand floor. I had a buddy from Church bring his bucket lift out to install the last sheet of metal roofing. I left about 16" inches open above the counter top. I installed parachute cord around all four sides to attach camo or a towel to, to keep the sun off the scope in the evenings when this stand is the most active. This cord also acts as a retainer to hold things on the 2x4 shelf formed around the bottom of the siding. I then cut some rubber trailer floor mat to keep the floor quiet. I have a couple of ancient square bucket swivel chairs on hand. They were hard to swivel, and had the padding eaten or rotted off years ago. I considered replacing one of them with a new one for this stand. The choices were both limited, and expensive. I decided to try a rebuild. Changing out the swivel did not look promising, so a liberal dose of silicone was sprayed on the swivel on multiple occasions, and this limbered it back up to normal operation. Next was a trip over to Ambers upholstery shop for padding and seat covers made from Marine Vinyl. Amber has made several handgun cases for both Mark Hampton and myself. She builds a great gun case, along with her legendary upholstery work on vehicle seats and furniture. This work complete,the tower stand is ready for November.

The next project was rebuilding some Double Wide Ladder Stands. I gathered up several sticks of 1" X 1" tubing, and made an appointment with a welder friend of mine to rebuild the stands to be more handgun friendly. Over the years I have added plywood tops to the Five double wide ladder stands my brother and I own. This has been a learning experience. We have had issues with sagging plywood and the tops being springy, then we have the not quite as big a table top as would be optimum for handgun use issue. My brother and I did some discussing and came up with a top size that we considered to be big enough. We then came up with how the metal members needed to be added to the stand to best support the new larger top. Armed with a plan the welder added the tubing to the stands. We painted them, and added the tops to two of them. We installed the newly rebuilt stands to cover the Southeast corner pasture where my brother hunts most of the time, and to my old stand location on the lease North of the house on the point overlooking what I believe was the old garden site of an 1800's homestead. If you have read my hunting stories most of the deer I have harvested the last few years with my 480 Super Redhawk were from this stand.
We did discover an issue with the new stand design. We need to bob off the front corners. Probably 12 inches back from the point. You have to lean way out to install the camo netting around the stands top, and the corners being so far out can block the view, as well as getting in the road. The front and sides are now about as good as you can make them to get a comfortable rest with a handgun, just the front corners need bobbed to be perfect. A project for this years preseason preparations.

Next was getting my brothers new 15.875" MGM 30-30AI barrel up and running on a new G2 frame. We made an order for a 10" forend from Tony, and had a 4 gill brake installed. I did a little load development, and did a final sight in just before deer season started. My brother did not get a chance to shoot the G2 before season started.

I really like my 7.62 x 54R Encore barrel, however I have always wanted a 358 Winchester deer rifle. Considering I have not rifle hunted in several years, the 356 Winchester was more practical in an Encore handgun with it's rim. I made an order to MGM for a Stainless Steel 15.875 inch Encore barrel. I have owned a set of 358 RCBS reloading dies for over 20 years in anticipation of owning a 358 rifle, so I was set up to reload for the 356 Winchester. When the barrel arrived I had a four gill muzzle brake installed before ever firing it. For a scope I installed a 2.5-10X Weaver Classic Extreme rifle scope. This is the same scope I have on my 7.62 x 54R barrel, as well as my 260 Remington barrel. I normally have my variable handgun scopes set on 2.5X when hunting deer. What I have found is that the 2.5 - 10X Classic Extreme scope has plenty of eye relief for my Encore handgun when set on 2.5 - 3X. This scope has a 30mm tube and also has dial-able knobs with covers.
After getting the package all together I started load development and bullet testing. I worked with Hornady 180 SSP's from my stash, 180 Fury PSP's, as well as the Speer 180 FP. I liked all three of these bullets in the 356 Winchester.

My brother and I both work at the local hardware store. We both worked opening morning as best that I remember.
Sunday morning I skipped Church and headed to the Point Stand on the Lease behind my house just after daylight. I drove my Polarus Ranger 570 around the barn, and through the gate behind the house. The doe who has been hanging around the house since last deer season watch me drive by at about 40 feet. I flushed another deer within 100 yards of the house. It was also a doe. I climbed into my newly rebuilt stand and got comfortable. I had trimmed up the brush around the stand. I had also cut up a big old oak that had blown over in the valley, and brush hogged the valley well before season. Everything was looking good, and it was a nice morning to be on stand. I had my table mats down to keep noise down on the plywood. I had my front bags placed on three sides of the stand so I would not need to adjust anything much to prepare for a shot. My water bottle was in the 3" PVC Coupling with slotted Drain Cap End zip tied to a stand vertical member out of the way. I was all ready to put in a morning of enjoying being in the woods.
About 45 minutes after getting to the stand I spotted movement in the valley to the east. I saw horns on the deer. The 356 Winchester Encore was already set up on the Northeast corner of the stand and did not require much adjustment of the sand bags. A look through the scope and I determined the deer to be bigger than a 6 point, so I started setting up for the shot. The buck started around the point coming my direction. I waited for him to stop. The range was approximately 100 yards. I put the cross hairs of the Weaver Extreme Classic Scope set on 2.5X on the back of the right front shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The deer ran about 50 yards or so and piled up. He was down for the count. I checked to make sure he was dead and discovered he was a nice 8 point buck. I headed up the trail back to the Polarus Ranger's parking spot. When I got the Polarus Ranger in sight I had a bigger buck that the one I had just harvested looking the side by side over from about 10 feet. I went to the house and got the tractor to haul the deer out. On my way back to load the deer, I spotted three more deer on the way back to the valley.

My brother was hunting the following weekend from his rebuilt ladder stand with the 30-30AI G2 Contender. He spotted a buck entering the field near the South East corner. He started setting up the shot. The deer stopped broadside at 135 yards. The deer ran a short distance and piled up in the field. This was the first shot my brother had made made with the 30-30AI G2, as I had sighted it in for him due to his work schedule. This buck was a 5 point.

The next day my wife killed a 10 point with her 270 Browning BBR rifle from the same stand. The deer was standing in almost the exact same place where my brothers deer had went down.

We still had a few any-deer tags left between up, but no freezer space.

Bob R

Last edited by Bob Roach; 03/23/2020 4:08 PM.

See You At The Range
Re: 2019 Missouri Deer Season [Re: Bob Roach] #206157 03/23/2020 2:37 PM
Seminole Wind Offline
addict
addict
Sounds like a first class tower stand. You didn't mention it, but I would imagine you anchored it down securely. I anchored mine with rebar hooks driven into the ground, but a strong wind took it down and did considerable damage. I'll rebuild it and anchor it with steel cable this time. Good luck to your wife from her new stand.

Re: 2019 Missouri Deer Season [Re: Seminole Wind] #206160 03/23/2020 7:11 PM
dave thomas Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
sounds like you created a great set up. congrats on your success.

Ephesians 6:10-18 because we are warriors.
Re: 2019 Missouri Deer Season [Re: dave thomas] #206163 03/23/2020 8:41 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
BOB: GOOD REPORT, GOOD KILLS, WTG.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: 2019 Missouri Deer Season [Re: 45MAN] #206173 03/24/2020 8:44 AM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Great season for all three of you!

Michael Joe Moore
Re: 2019 Missouri Deer Season [Re: REDHAWK1954] #206180 03/24/2020 5:18 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Seminole Wind
The Tower Stand has been up a couple years with no roof. I just added side walls from the shooting shelf on up. We had a problem with the sun shining on the back of the scope in the evening when this stand is most active. This stand has 4x4 legs using a Leg Kit that angels the legs out. We do have it well anchored, however it is heavy enough it should not blow over. The roof will make it even better if we have rain of snow.
I mentioned the parachute cord above. It's main purpose was to hold a Towel or Camo to block the sun. I anchored a towel with cloths pins at the top and a couple sand bags at the bottom to cure the sun problem.
You can shoot 360 out of this stand. The swivel bucket chair really helps to watch in multiple directions.

Things will look a lot different out of this stand next deer season. They are logging off the 1200 acres that is just across the fence on the North side of the stand. I will probably start clean up this Summer when they get done logging the 160 acre block that borders out place. My plan is to put in a couple nice food plots, and clean up as much as practical so that I can keep it brush hogged, and not a jungle across the fence. Instead of Four Wheeler Trails, I should have lots of Jeep Trails when they are done.

Bob

See You At The Range
Re: 2019 Missouri Deer Season [Re: Bob Roach] #206186 03/24/2020 7:55 PM
Seminole Wind Offline
addict
addict
Around here we would call yours a Cadillac stand. I'm sure your hard work will pay off this fall.

Re: 2019 Missouri Deer Season [Re: Seminole Wind] #206259 03/31/2020 3:11 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I thought I had missed something. I made an improvement getting to my brothers stand. The best route in is walking down the gravel road from the house and crossing a barb wire fence. I had added a swimming pool ladder to cross the wire, however this left a lot of room for improvement.

What I did was replace about 14 feet of barb wire on the top three strands with Barbless Barb Wire (No Barbs). The top two strands I added a coil spring with hook to so they could be unhooked and re positioned back out of the way. The third strand down I threaded a piece of PEX Tubing over. This was to help seeing the wire location when crossing the fence as well as locating the crossing in low light. This modification to the fence made accessing the South East pasture stand much easier and safer.

My brother has been discussing building another tower stand to put up in place of his modified ladder stand. He sees deer in all directions at this stand location. We have approximately 300 - 400 feet of timber between this pasture and the gravel County Road at that location. We have about 20 acres of timber on the neighbor to the East. To the West we have a road down a valley through more Oak timber. In the South East corner over the fence the neighbor has a corner with about an acre of pines with a pond at the edge. We have more trees down the South fence widening out the farther West you go. Basically deer can show up out of timber in any direction. Being able to set up in any direction would be nice.

I may start a slow build on the tower in the next couple months.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 2019 Missouri Deer Season [Re: Bob Roach] #206262 03/31/2020 9:47 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
When are you putting in central heat and air? Sounds like a real comfy place.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: 2019 Missouri Deer Season [Re: Sawfish] #206266 03/31/2020 10:45 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
My wife's stand has windows with curtains, is insulated ,an office chair, carpet, heater, a single burner stove, and a front porch with steps, not a ladder. What ever it takes to keep her hunting with me.

junebug
Re: 2019 Missouri Deer Season [Re: junebug] #206274 04/01/2020 3:47 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Junebug my wife would like that stand a lot. I thermos of hot chocolate and she would be set.
She likes being spoiled. Her newest horse trailer (2019) is even set up for Dish Network TV. So far not activated.

Bob R

See You At The Range

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 56 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod