Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I guess I'll blame this web page and ya'll #12569 01/16/2006 6:48 PM
Bama Offline OP
OP Offline
I had actually gotten away from deer hunting and actually all the furry criter hunting. I have been chasing the feathered critters for too many years. I loved them both, but when I had to choose between fur and feather, I always chose the feather. Never gave 2 thoughts about it until I had my hip replaced and found this web page.

I knew I wouldn't be able to do much duck hunting in AR and LA so I went back to shooting what I call Woods Goats. Not a lot of fun with a rifle and had not practiced enough with my bow. I pulled the RSBH out of the safe and went to hunting. After reading about the T/C I had to order one of those too. I spent this weekend at the cabin, chasing woods goats and spending time with my son plinking with the pistols. LOL Another friend was laughing when I opened the gun case and had to descide to take the .44 Ruger or the 7-30Water T/C. He said I looked like a golfer. I wanted to be prepared and figured if I was close andd tight I would use the .44 and open woods the 7-30 and to shoot the tree rats there was a selection of .22's.

I know if I hadn't found this web page, Gary's magazine (great mags), and read all ya'lls posts. I would have taken the rifle out once or twice and been miserable all fall and winter. So far I have killed 3 does and a 190# 6point with my handguns this season and it has been a blast.

Why did I subscribe to Gary's magazine? After reading the last issue I have plans to customize the old RSBH. Call it a 20 year aniversary present to me. My wife bought me the gun 20 years ago when I turned 21. It shoots fine, but like a muscle car, customizing makes it fun.

Guess I'm gonna have to start a thread on what I should do to have fun customiziing the SBH and after that we can start on my SRH. Then let's not think about the barrels for the T/C and of course I'm still working on a friend to let go of his XP before Dan finds out about it all the way up there in PA.

Like I said, I want to thank ya'll, if it wasn't for ya'll I would have been a couch potato this season. I start shooting tree rats in Feb and have my eye on 2 different areas with some fox squirles I have found while deer hunting. I will set the handguns down for turkey season, I know the challenge, but as Will Primos say's "Turkey hunting is a shotgun sport"

Thanks again

If I was Better I'd be twins Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005
Re: I guess I'll blame this web page and ya'll [Re: Bama] #12570 01/16/2006 9:54 PM
nmhunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
You are hooked!!!! congrats on the season, sounds like you have had a ball. Ya know you can't go wrong with HS iffi'n you can't talk your friend out of his XP! keep us posted on your Ruger upgrade and your quest for a XP.
nmhunter

Re: I guess I'll blame this web page and ya'll [Re: nmhunter] #12571 01/16/2006 11:31 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I'm glad you are enjoying handgun hunting. It's the best hands down. Sounds like you are hopelessly addicted. Welcome to the club.

Quote:

but as Will Primos say's "Turkey hunting is a shotgun sport"

Maybe he's right, but it sounds to me like he needs to try handgunning a turky.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: I guess I'll blame this web page and ya'll [Re: Tigger] #12572 01/17/2006 12:42 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I agree with Tigger! Taking a turkey-bird at short range with a handgun would be awesome!! I'd use my t/C 10" 32-20 Winny!! Anyone (except me...I'm terrible with a scattergun) can pepper a bird's head with bb's if it's inside 50yds. Try hitting the small vitals or head with a single projectile from a short barreled handgun!! Heck...spring birds is only a shotgun sport because the game commission won't let me use a handgun. Handguns are legal in the fall and I used my XP-100 .222 Remmy to drop a hen at 229yds!!

Sounds like you have had a wonderful season...I did also. Seasons like this year are great to reflect on during the lean years.......

Re: I guess I'll blame this web page and ya'll [Re: Bama] #12573 01/17/2006 11:18 AM
LUCKY Offline
stranger
stranger
WELLCOME ABORD,YOUR OFF TO A GRATE START. AND YOU NOW KNOW THERES NOTHTNG LIKE IT.

Re: I guess I'll blame this web page and ya'll [Re: Bama] #12574 01/17/2006 10:33 PM
JeffD Offline
I know what you mean. I just got back into it last Fall and it was a blast! I didn't get a shot this past season, but's it been fun sneaking around the woods with my Ruger SRH. Been practicing already for next Fall. I'm really into turkeys too and can't wait for Spring!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod