Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Encore's and Barrel's #209440 12/05/2020 9:21 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
My local dealer finally got in Three more Encores after a several month delay. I had two spoke for and my buddy Jeff had the third one. All Three were out the door within 48 hours of arrival. I had picked up a Blued action a while back. I traded it in, and took home two more Stainless Steel Pro Hunters.
I now have FOUR complete Stainless Pro Hunter Pistols. A 223 Remington, 260 Remington, 7.62x54R, and 356 Winchester.
I have an order in to Tony for another 11" Forend. I need to do an inventory, but I will probably need Amber to build me another Case or two.

I will now need to round up ONE more Blued G2 Frame with Grip. That will set me up with FOUR complete Contenders/G2's. My Original early 1990's Contender is pretty much my dedicated 22 LR Trigger Time Pistol now days. In Centerfires I have a 357 Maximum "MGM", 6.5x30JDJ, and a 35 BullBerry.

After the first of the year I will probably start sending them in to Stratton for Trigger Jobs. The Encore's and G2's need a little more help than simple adjustments. It is much easier to shoot little groups with a nice trigger. Which also means it is much easier to hit a deer exactly where you intended to with a nice trigger.

I probably should start looking at my Contender/G2 Glass to finish up my upgrades. I have one new 2-7 Burris that is not mounted. I believe I still have a couple of the OLD 2-7 Burris scopes from the early 1990's on my older barrels. I killed one and it was replaced with a new model. I was very impressed on how much brighter and clearer the new model Burris scopes are compared to the old scopes. I was impressed enough that I have bought a couple more of the new models.

I have had muzzle brakes installed on all my centerfire barrels except the 223. I am getting pretty close to having everything where I want it to be.

Bob R

Last edited by Bob Roach; 12/06/2020 3:48 AM.

See You At The Range
Re: Encore's and Barrel's [Re: Bob Roach] #209442 12/06/2020 1:01 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
That's awesome! At one point, I was going to go down this rabbit hole, but never did. Now I'm on the specialty pistol wagon thanks to a weekend at Wy-shot two years ago. I only have the one XP right now, but I have another one coming in the near future.

Post a picture of the crew when ya get them all set up. I'd like to see them.

Well done!!!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Encore's and Barrel's [Re: Raptortrapper] #209447 12/06/2020 3:46 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I could have very easily went down another path. A few years ago my local dealer took in a couple Savage Strikers on trade. I believe one was a 223 and the other may have been a 7-08. They were priced right, but the cheap plastic stocks really turned me off. I did not realize how easy it would be to swap Barrels and Bolt Heads at the time. Today we also have a source on laminated stocks that I am sure I would be content with.
If I had bought a Striker I am sure I would have fewer barrels to cover the same bases. I am sure I would also have a lot less $$$ invested.
One Scope instead of Eight.
Fewer muzzle brakes. All of my centerfires except the 223 have brakes.
One nice laminated stock would be much cheaper than Eight of Tony's Forends. I guess that would be Seven of Tony's Forends the Eighth is a BullBerry which is even more expensive.
I have a Gunsmith down the road who builds Bench Rest and Tactical Steel Rifles. Between take off rifle barrels and customs I am sure I would have way less invested in barrels for a Striker than I do for my Contenders and Encores.
Only ONE Trigger to work on.

Thinking about it I would have ended up with a Rimfire Striker also for Trigger Time.
Still way less expensive than multiple break actions with multiple scopes, multiple custom forends, and multiple custom cases.

Raptortrapper you probably made a better decision to go with Bolt Guns than I did with Multiple break actions.

As much as I like my break actions. If someone decided to pay me what I would want for all TEN of my break actions (Note: I also have a couple CVA's) I am sure I would replace the break actions with TWO Strikers. One a Rimfire probably a 22 LR as my trigger time handgun. The second would be a centerfire with the following barrels: 22-250AI, 260, 7-08, and 308. Why a 22-250AI, I have a die set for it on hand, along with all my other choices. I might add a 358 to that list.

I could replace all Ten of my break actions with Two Strikers, Two Scopes, Two Custom Laminated Stocks, and Four make that Five Barrels.

I still like my Break Actions. I like not needing to swap barrels when I decide to shoot another chambering. I can loan one to a neighbor wanting to try out handgun hunting, and not miss having it to hunt with myself. I help Amber feed her kids by making me more custom cases, and sand bags. Ten complete Hunting Handguns will bring the wife more money after I die than a switch barrel Striker that would not bring near what I had in it without me finding it a home myself on a handgun hunting forum. I am happy with what I have, and getting happier as I get them all closer to perfection.

Bob R

Last edited by Bob Roach; 12/06/2020 4:39 AM.

See You At The Range
Re: Encore's and Barrel's [Re: Bob Roach] #209449 12/06/2020 12:38 PM
ruger4570 Offline
addict
addict
Wow, nice collection. You definitely are covered for most anything.
And I thought I was redundant by having 3 Encore actions and 1 Contender. My dedicated handgun action was given to Gil Hebard in 1999 by TC when won the American Handgunner of the year. Serial number is HOY1999. It was a 44 mag. I've added a 12" TC 223 barrel and an MGM 9" 357 barrels. My other two Encore actions have a 20 ga rifled barrel, a 50 cal muzzleloader, and a45-70 Kathadin barrel.
My Contender includes 22LR, 357 octagon, 221 Fireball, 375 Winchester, and 45/410.

Re: Encore's and Barrel's [Re: ruger4570] #209510 12/08/2020 2:05 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Sounds like you've got a great collection going there. Encores are an addiction, and dang it, I'm also hooked.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Encore's and Barrel's [Re: Chance Weldon] #209524 12/08/2020 5:43 AM
gunslingerdad Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
currently sitting on a new encore frame with no barrels. Yet.
good luck on the rest of your upgrades.

still Dave Thomas, just an alias so the gov't dont find me
;\)
Re: Encore's and Barrel's [Re: gunslingerdad] #209543 12/08/2020 9:47 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
I am in the no barrel change group. Makes life much easier.

Last edited by Sawfish; 12/22/2020 11:51 PM.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod