Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Aoudad /whitetail hunting in Texas- Questions #210235 02/07/2021 1:08 PM
billa Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I have been looking at the possibility of a Texas hunt for some time now and am seriously considering it for 2022. There would probably be 2 of us both early 60s. 1 handgun & 1 rifle. We will drive not fly. Thinking Aoudad or whitetail plus some bonus hog shooting. Have probably 5-6 days to hunt. We could do cabin, tent, motel or a full meal lodging plan. Semi guided or fully. For trophy expectations we would be hoping for 130-140 or up on Whitetail and average on Aoudad. Just looking for a good hunting experience. When searching the web it seems that prices are all over the place. Can any of you direct me to an affordable hunt option with a good chance of success? You can PM me if you like.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Aoudad /whitetail hunting in Texas- Questions [Re: billa] #210237 02/07/2021 2:13 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
=Look at Steve Jones of backcountryhunts.com. I did a Carmen Mtn. whitetail hunt with him. Saw lots of aoudads, javelina, some desert mulies. Accomodations are part of his package. The camp is rustic, but comfortable( took my wife. she tolerated it). Great guides, excellent food. Steve was my guide- a super guy.
There are no hogs or regular whitetails. The hunt is a definite challenge. Spot and stalk. Fair amt. of walking. I had to do a 1 1/2 mile walk up rocky, steep ridges. It was a little rough on my old, arthritic body, but looking back on it, it was one of the most memorable hunts of my life (in the US).
The camp is about 3 hours southwest of ElPaso on a long, rough country road. It was a true adventure.+

Re: Aoudad /whitetail hunting in Texas- Questions [Re: wvhitman] #210250 02/09/2021 3:40 PM
billa Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks Doc. I will check them out.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Aoudad /whitetail hunting in Texas- Questions [Re: billa] #210253 02/09/2021 6:48 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have hunted the Delaware's in west TX the last 12 years. In the last 3 years the Aoudad population has jumped quite a bit on the place I hunt. It is just over 60K acres total. This ranch has just about everything but whitetails and hogs. If you jump a mule deer he will move over the next hill and stop. These aoudad will not stop until they are in the next state. Once they start moving they are gone. So you better be ready to shoot. This is some rough country so be ready to walk miles at 4000ft+ elevations.

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 52 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod